Canon USA lays off 60 employees from the camera division

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I believe it will look (to many people) like DSLRs will continue to to coexist for years to come, until one day it will look to everyone that they are dead. That day is easily withing 5 years. Maybe 3.
The day when a “latency free” and “blackout free” OVF became available is the day you are talking about. A had a bit of a play with A9 and the OVF lag is quite noticeable.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
SLRs were much simpler devices, sold in smaller numbers, and were developed for more than a decade.
And the real reason for SLRs still being in demand is: film as a media.
Film and digital will coexist for many years to come.
MILC vs DSLR is a completely different story though.
In my opinion , this increasingly becoming an OVF vs EVF challenge.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
With the emergence of OVF based PDAF and metering sensors that are, in effect, second and third imaging sensors able to replicate the advantages of mirrorless while also allowing the advantages of an OVF, only two things remain to make the difference between DSLRS and MILCs meaningless:

1) Hybrid OVFs with transmissive EVF overlays.

2) Automatic AFMA that calibrates a lens/body combo at all focal lengths and aperture combinations that is saved in an internal database and called upon every time AF is used. We're getting close to the the processing speeds needed to accomplish such a system at far finer gradations than the Sigma and Tamron applications do.

Upvote 0
Canon has stated that R&D for new EF mount lenses have been halted.

I would not be surprised if the next 5D, 6D or APS-C body will be their last.

It is a good business move on their part to focus what little R&D money they have on a camera system new photographers prefer. And this is mirrorless.

I believe it will look (to many people) like DSLRs will continue to to coexist for years to come, until one day it will look to everyone that they are dead. That day is easily withing 5 years. Maybe 3.
SLRs were much simpler devices, sold in smaller numbers, and were developed for more than a decade.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

It is a good business move on their part to focus what little R&D money they have on a camera system new photographers prefer. And this is mirrorless.

As long as there's a market for Rebel DSLRs, I think they'll keep churning out new ones since they can do so with existing tech.

My guess is that RP will replace the 6D series quickly, but again if they just updated the 6D mark II with a sensor from the R line and pulled in some improvements from 90D/M series I could see them making a mark III *IF* there was a market for it.

5D is probably the least likely, but will depend on how the 1Dx III is received

Upvote 0
And the real reason for SLRs still being in demand is: film as a media.
Film and digital will coexist for many years to come.
MILC vs DSLR is a completely different story though.

Film SLRs were developed and sold for decades prior to the digital photography revolution, with far less unit sales than DSLRs / MILCs enjoy today.

We might get fewer new models and longer development cycles, but DSLRs & MILCs aren't going anywhere.

Upvote 0

Canon has stated that R&D for new EF lenses have been halted, unless there's market demand. In a capitalist market, this is true for every product. This is Canon saying "it seems there's no demand for new EF lenses, so no more new lenses for you, unless the market proves us wrong".

Neither would I.

Question is how long would it take Canon to make as many RF lenses as there are EF lenses. My bet is that by 2030 Canon would have made RF equivalents of the L line, and the cheaper primes (400mm f/5.6, 300mm f/4) & zooms will mostly disappear.

Upvote 0
I am talking about R&D and not production. Production will continue at a volume that the market can bare.

I find it amusing people hold on to hope that Canon will some day in the future restart R&D for EF lenses.

It ain't gonna happen.

Still camera market has been in decline for over a decade and whatever little money they have to invest is best spent on a growing market segment rather than a shrinking one.

I could imagine people having this sort of discussion when the EF mount was announced in the early 80s. A lot of people in denial...

"Autofocus is not reliable!" etc etc.

Resources will prioritize RF mount products.
Canon has stated that R&D for new EF lenses have been halted, unless there's market demand. In a capitalist market, this is true for every product. This is Canon saying "it seems there's no demand for new EF lenses, so no more new lenses for you, unless the market proves us wrong".

Neither would I.

Question is how long would it take Canon to make as many RF lenses as there are EF lenses. My bet is that by 2030 Canon would have made RF equivalents of the L line, and the cheaper primes (400mm f/5.6, 300mm f/4) & zooms will mostly disappear.

As long as there's a market for Rebel DSLRs, I think they'll keep churning out new ones since they can do so with existing tech.

My guess is that RP will replace the 6D series quickly, but again if they just updated the 6D mark II with a sensor from the R line and pulled in some improvements from 90D/M series I could see them making a mark III *IF* there was a market for it.

5D is probably the least likely, but will depend on how the 1Dx III is received

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am talking about R&D and not production. Production will continue at a volume that the market can bare.

You're talking about EF lenses, I'm talking about MILCs, DSLRs, and lenses for both.

Still camera market has been in decline for over a decade and whatever little money they have to invest is best spent on a growing market segment rather than a shrinking one.

Still cameras (read: DSLRs and MILCs) is, AFAIK, stronger today than it was before the digital revolution.

Upvote 0
You're talking about EF lenses, I'm talking about MILCs, DSLRs, and lenses for both.

Still cameras (read: DSLRs and MILCs) is, AFAIK, stronger today than it was before the digital revolution.
Still camera market as a whole has shrink as a whole.

Consumer at the greatest degree

SLRs at a medium degree.

Mirrorless at the least degree.

If Canon wont service my gear by 2030s then I do not mind as it is time to buy new RF system.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
It's not horrible, it's just how technology changes. I'm a telescope collector. Imagine how that market looks.

It's amusing that the 11-24 I recently acquired on coming to Canon is the "ultimate real estate photography" lens, until you realize that every smart realtor now shoots with the iPhone 13mm lens and HDR for every listing.

My real take is this: How many of your neighbors, or your kids' friends parents, or your classmates as class reunions, have "cameras" other than smart phones that they actually use? My answer is approximately zero, and I expect that it's just professionals and hobbyists that will ever buy these things again.

Upvote 0
My real take is this: How many of your neighbors, or your kids' friends parents, or your classmates as class reunions, have "cameras" other than smart phones that they actually use? My answer is approximately zero, and I expect that it's just professionals and hobbyists that will ever buy these things again.

When I was in 7th grade, maybe 2 or 3 kids had cameras on a class trip. Nowadays, every 7th grader carries a camera 24/7.

Upvote 0
Why does it matter when the steep decline started?

Manufacturers made money on SLRs in the eighties, they'll keep on making money on whatever sales volume they have nowadays,

Does anyone doubt that smart phones and their continually improving cameras are a recent and current factor?

No.

Upvote 0