Canon EOS R6 specifications [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We mentioned previously that four new full-frame cameras were coming from Canon in 2020, and we now know two of them are the EOS-1D X Mark III and the EOS R5. The third camera looks to be the EOS R6, as we received base specifications for the upcoming mirrorless camera.
Canon EOS R6 Specifications:

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
4K @ 60p
New battery (Not sure if it’s the same as the EOS R5)
June 2020 launch (We think a May announcement)

We’ll update you once we hear more

Continue reading...

Last edited:

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
So were the R and RP just starter models with throwaway names?

Will the future be:
R1 (some face melting gripped sports volcano)​
R5S (high res)​
R5 (today's earlier rumor)​
R6 (this thread's rumor)​

And a relatively modest 20 MP sensor in a 20 fps (we presume not gripped) body as the entry price point spec on that list?

- A

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
So were the R and RP just starter models with throwaway names?

Will the future be:
R1 (some face melting gripped sports volcano)​
R5S (high res)​
R5 (today's earlier rumor)​
R6 (this thread's rumor)​

And a relatively modest 20 MP sensor in a 20 fps (we presume not gripped) body as the entry price point spec on that list?

- A
Ah, so this is the rumoured model below the RP.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ah, so this is the rumoured model below the RP.

So say you. RP lacks IBIS and sure as hell can't pop 12 / 20 fps.

R5 feels like the 5D5.
R6 feels like the 6D3.

RP may have been an inexpensive platform bugzapper to draw folks in to the platform. Perhaps RP and the original R will die out now once the more familiar hierarchy I posted above gets released.

- A

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
So say you. RP lacks IBIS and sure as hell can't pop 12 / 20 fps.

R5 feels like the 5D5.
R6 feels like the 6D3.

RP may have been an inexpensive platform bugzapper to draw folks in to the platform. Perhaps RP and the original R will die out now once the more familiar hierarchy I posted above gets released.

- A
I meant having regard to price-point. That was the rumour. I agree it could actually be better. RP was there as a cut-price FF (reusing the 6Dii sensor) to try and get people to upgrade into FF mirrorless. And with good video specs. But it does seem to have been a one-off.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I meant having regard to price-point. That was the rumour. I agree it could actually be better. RP was there as a cut-price FF (reusing the 6Dii sensor) to try and get people to upgrade into FF mirrorless. And with good video specs. But it does seem to have been a one-off.

Gotcha.

So follow my very loose tea leaf assembly here. If an R5 is coming with the specs from the rumor, and this R6 is happening...

I feel pretty good in thinking our familiar product lines in 1 / 5S (res) / 5 (all-around) / 6 and possibly 7 are happening with an R in front.

And if THAT happens, where does EOS R or RP fit in that scheme? One might argue that neither do, and we might not see R2 or RP2 happen.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
This camera can't be a 6D successor with a lower resolution sensor than the 6DII.

Sure it could. Tell every 6D2 owner that their new camera will come with all of the following upgrades:
  • IBIS
  • A proper on-chip ADC sensor (one can only hope that wrong is righted)
  • 20 fps
...and all it will cost them is (idk) $1800 and 6 less MP.

I bet you'd sell a bunch of cameras. Not all users would take that camera, but many would.

- A

Upvote 0
This camera can't be a 6D successor with a lower resolution sensor than the 6DII.

If anything, these specs say "7DIII" minus the crop sensor . . . and if it is, I think there may never be an APS-C R :oops: Or, the rumor is wrong and this isn't a full-frame camera . . .

At the below RP pricepoint....? Oh it will sell a LOAD of cameras. It's an introduction FF so why not 20MP?

And if THAT happens, where does EOS R or RP fit in that scheme?

Probably taken out the back and quietly shot.

Oh no, Cat said Voldemort.

Birders will have kittens over that one.

- A

Oooops I invoked the Unholy Name of Sony unwittenly....... Umm... Canon is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED?

(Altho if lets say the guess is right and the R7 IS a APS-C sports camera...... just imagine the M6 II's sensor spiced up with a DIGICX and cut down 1D mkIII liveview AF performance. Twin card slots, 7D II style budgeon people strong body - I reckon not just birders would lose their damn minds. It's not like that's a pie in the sky wish list, that IS a likely to be seen camera)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

If anything, these specs say "7DIII" minus the crop sensor . . . and if it is, I think there may never be an APS-C R :oops: Or, the rumor is wrong and this isn't a full-frame camera . . .
OR...………...the rumour is a little off and the R6 may actually be a crop sensor 20mp camera

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
OR...………...the rumour is a little off and the R6 may actually be a crop sensor 20mp camera

If the rest of the specs are to be believed (sans that one), I buy it. If it's a full frame camera, with low MP and medium-high FPS, it doesn't fit anywhere within the current schema, unless it's also a low-light monster (and, therefore, an a7s competitor). Hmmmmmmmm.

Upvote 0