Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT $399 (Reg $579), is a new flagship Speedlite coming?

Jan 29, 2011
By the way, the MR-14EX II came out shortly after the 600 RT and it also didn't include RT, which I also found a very sad omission, because the ringlite would make an excellent RT master (it is only an optical master). At least the current twinlite MT-26-EX-RT has RT built into it, so that makes it possible to use 600-RT as RT-slaves in macro photography, which is great.
I really find it very weird not to put the RT function into every flash. Even a 90EX speedlite would be an excellent RT-master (it is only an optical master).

I suppose the reasoning was that at the distances the MR-14EXII is designed to work optical is well up to the task, same really with the 90EX which I got for free when I got an original M kit from B&H.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
One of the many, many reasons why it's time to retire AA batteries from Speedlites and move onto lithium batteries. How about a flash that takes LP-E6 batteries? Or better still a system like on the Godox where there's a battery-shaped hole that the battery clicks into without needing a battery compartment door (the first thing that always fails on flashes).
Going to a rechargeable only is a bad idea because then one loses the worldwide availability of AA batteries. The only happy way for a flash to use a Li would be if it was a module that fit where the AAs go so you have a choice. Actually I once had a Vivitar flash that came with such a rechargeable module, so yes, the idea works. A rechargeable module only sounds like a great idea only until you're stuck somewhere not able to charge it. The 6D's grip comes with an AA tray probably for this very reason of available anywhere. (not sure about other models)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have 7 600EX-RT’s, and a wide variety of studio flashes and have been bouncing on camera flash since the 550EX was new. The 470ex Ai is an amazing tool in the right situation and in my opinion the only thing it lacks is the RT so it could be the on camera controller for remotes. The auto bounce functionality is amazing and I find the best use for it is when you are going from portrait to landscape mode continually, it just tracks what you are doing and always ends up where it needs to be. You can even set the bounce angle as normal and then get it to adjust for the different orientations.

For fast moving event style photography, family gatherings, receptions etc etc where I can use a single on camera flash it is my first choice.

Interesting thank you for your response ! , how have you found a} noise in quite conditions of flash motor b) useage of batteries compared to non AI ? thank you

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Interesting thank you for your response ! , how have you found a} noise in quite conditions of flash motor b) useage of batteries compared to non AI ? thank you
I use 1 series cameras so the sounds from the flash are more than drowned out by the camera :) , but seriously, it’s just a gentle whirring sound that I haven’t found distracting.

I use Eneloop batteries and again, I haven’t noticed anything unusual with power drain, I don’t expect it takes much energy to power the motors, but i am not a very high volume shooter even at events and always have spare batteries to hand, not that I have ever had to change out a set mid event. I’m probably in the 200 shot range without issue but don’t know beyond that.

As an aside, I expected it to be a bit of a joke but recommended it to a non pro friend who was looking for a bounce flash for taking cat adoption portraits. I watched all the videos and thought it would be a great idea for her and there was a deal on at the time. She got one and I used it and was very impressed, I have used one several times since but generally need RT control so mostly use a 600EX-RT, the other thing I really wish the 470EX Ai did was work on the M series cameras, that is a major oversight Canon forced themselves into by insisting the M’s got POowershot firmware rather than EOS firmware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Going to a rechargeable only is a bad idea because then one loses the worldwide availability of AA batteries. The only happy way for a flash to use a Li would be if it was a module that fit where the AAs go so you have a choice. Actually I once had a Vivitar flash that came with such a rechargeable module, so yes, the idea works. A rechargeable module only sounds like a great idea only until you're stuck somewhere not able to charge it. The 6D's grip comes with an AA tray probably for this very reason of available anywhere. (not sure about other models)
Canon could do what Nissin did with their flagship speedlight, add compatibility for 14500 sized Li-Ion batteries. Those batteries are available for cheap and being same sized as AA alkalines user can use either of those 2 battery types based on situation.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
Canon could do what Nissin did with their flagship speedlight, add compatibility for 14500 sized Li-Ion batteries. Those batteries are available for cheap and being same sized as AA alkalines user can use either of those 2 battery types based on situation.
Hey that's great about more types of AA but the person I was replying to wanted a power meter. The 14500 types still don't have a self monitoring and reporting mechanism. Like a regular AA, there is just positive and negative terminals. Look at the camera batteries like the LP-E6 or 17. The extra contacts are for the "what's my charge state" information.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Hey that's great about more types of AA but the person I was replying to wanted a power meter. The 14500 types still don't have a self monitoring and reporting mechanism. Like a regular AA, there is just positive and negative terminals. Look at the camera batteries like the LP-E6 or 17. The extra contacts are for the "what's my charge state" information.
Generally for Li-Ion charge state can be measured from voltage of cells(thats how my torch(Nitecore Tm26) shows battery life). Other than voltage monitoring in the device(Li-ion cells come only with safety circuits while imr/ifr cells dont even have electronic safety and rely on devices to provide OverCharge and OverDischarge safety) there really is no special need for additional contacts for monitoring battery life of Li-Ion cells. Also unlike alkaline cells the gap between fully charged(4.35-4.2V depending on chemistry) and fully discharged(~2.5V) is quite big and its easier to get status of these cells and show it to user using 4/5 bars on display.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

Yet we survive with LiIon batteries in everything else we use these days. I think this is a concern for some, but for most people AA batteries are far from convenient. They're slower to replace when you need to change batteries in a rush, they have no way to monitor remaining capacity (this is really important!) and the battery door is a serious weakpoint (strangely, I've never had a camera battery door fail, but i've had the door fail on multiple flashes from different manufacturers - I can only assume it's to do with the way AA batteries need to be contained.

To be honest, I really don't mind myself if Canon use AA batteries or not in their next speedlite, I've switched over to the Godox V1 and I'm perfectly happy - solves all my issues. I have three spare Godox batteries, and I've never needed to use more than two at a time so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Yea, I would also like the idea of LP-E6 batteries for flashes. Charger and battery sharing with the camera and it is a really powerful battery unit, so you wouldn't need that inconvenient external battery case with, again, 8 AA batteries. But a battery door would still be needed for weather sealing.

I've never had an LP-E6 battery door fail on me. AA Battery doors on flashes fail all the time.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I've never had any battery door broken...

By the way, has anyone ever used the 6-AA battery adapter for the vertical grip in the camera? Is that any good, peak-power-wise?

I've had four break. One canon, one sony and two yongnuo. And percentage-wise that's 33% of my canon flashes, 100% of my sony flashes and 66% of my yongnuo flashes.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I can't say how many AA powered speedlites I have owned/used over the years, but it is dozens, all Canon. I have never broken a battery door, I have broken half a dozen hotshot mounts but that was before they moved to metal ones, and at least half a dozen wide angle diffusers from the 550EX to the 600EX-RT. I've also blown a couple of lamps and had a couple die from battery leakage (if you ever see any suspicious green furring wipe it off with a cotton wool bud soaked in regular vinegar, it neutralizes it).

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The one reason I haven't bought a version II of the 600ex is because, when used with aftermarket external battery packs, the II doubles the recycle time of the version I.

I remember reading about this when I was shopping for the battery packs three years ago...By now, I would hope, there might be a new generation of aftermarket battery packs that fixes this issue. But as my Speedlites are all working well, there really wasn't a NEED to get a version II anyway. On camera with the internal batteries I believe it only gets about 10% faster recycle compared to version I.

So, if there is a new flash coming, I hope it has some truly better and additional features.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, if there is a new flash coming, I hope it has some truly better and additional features.

Functionality wise, stronger would be better. Stronger is always better with flashes.

Feature wise, besides stronger batteries that eliminate the use of external power packs and AI (perhaps), I don't miss too much today, but you can always improve on features in an unlimited way. Full rotation would be nice, i.e. rotation without a stop somewhere. AC power adapter would also be nice. Improved cooling. Lighter would be nicer, too. More coloured gels.
But I doubt that better features would make me buy some, the 600s that I have are already near perfect. The 600 mark 1 can even be easier custom colour-geled than the mark 2 one.

Upvote 0