Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 4, 2016
The R didn't have it and had Bluetooth connectivity to be able to have remote shutter on everything from your phone to iPad to pc. :/

That's all fine and good until want to use an RF trigger from 300 feet away and need somewhere to plug in the cable from the receiver. Or when you want to shoot under a dark sky at night without blowing your night vision by lighting up a screen on your iPad or phone. Or when you'd rather just use the simplest solution (a wired release) while keeping your phone available to do phone things (like take calls).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Well, on the 1DX3 the AF point touchpad is literally the same button! Can't get closer than that.
Of course, that's what I really would have liked but don't have on my 1DX2. Now it's, do I buy R5 and maybe sell the beast or have both considering there are 1 series features I have grown to love. The 1DX3 resolution makes that purchase unwise for my use. I'm sure there are others with my frustration.

Jack

Upvote 0
Of course, that's what I really would have liked but don't have on my 1DX2. Now it's, do I buy R5 and maybe sell the beast or have both considering there are 1 series features I have grown to love. The 1DX3 resolution makes that purchase unwise for my use. I'm sure there are others with my frustration.

Jack

Upgrade the Mk2 to a Mk3 and buy a R5 later on :D

p.s You can thank me later :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Nah. It's dual pixel mate - each pixel cleaved in half so it only needs to be 20 full megapickles wide. It would be just like Canon to do something sneaky like that.

Dual pixel actually works the other way around, it's a 80-90MPix sensor, the 2 subpixels are combined into a single output pixel. The 5D4 was a "Dual Pixel Raw" option that a files with double the pixels.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
The A9 II is 24 megapixels, think again.

I don’t know the exact Sony specs but the R5 might have good enough speed and resolution that it steals customers from both the A7 and A9. When I was looking at leaving Nikon I considered Sony but was looking at both of those. For me I don’t care if it isn’t as high res as the 7 or fast as the 9. The R5 is good enough at each. And most importantly unlike the competition, at BOTH.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 4, 2016
I wouldn't bet too much money on a comparable 5DV anytime soon. This is the camera they need(ed) to make to persuade 5DIV users to switch to mirrorless so there's no need to offer a mirrored alternative too quickly.

It will either appear with or fairly soon after or it will never, ever appear.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I don’t think most people take all relevant market segments into consideration when forming opinions on individual products. Most people that are “sweating” over on that sony rumors page are those that are hung up on the camera spec wars and are incapable of seeing the forest for the trees. Sony as a whole probably see this whole chess game and Canon’s move as simply another step to validate a broader consumer push for 8k content and devices. Sony would love for their line of 8k TVs to be more mainstream, and Canon releasing a relatively budget friendly 8k device plays right into that. Sony’s answer will most likely be releasing their own reasonably priced 8k camera. Anyone that expected 8k equipment to be priced astronomically forever should be rudely awakened by what history has shown with pricing trends with old and the then upcoming technologies. Anyone remember the $10k+ Sony Betacams?

Any company that’s crying about how their expensive hardware is going to be outclassed by something substantially cheaper is simply bad at business and didn’t plan the appropriate steps ahead. All the top contenders that know this chess game most likely knew this time would come and have their own plans to stay relevant in the market. Who came first is mostly irrelevant in the long run, IMO. Canon and Sony are far from being doomed. The next decade of tech looks pretty promising and potentially incredibly profitable for all the top contenders. Bring it. Loving the potential of the R5 and what it means to the average consumer.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Remember when the RF 70-200mm f/2.8 l IS mockups were on display at trade shows inside a glass case? So people couldn't even tell if it was an extending design?

But couldn't they tell just by looking at it? Either it was at 200mm and clearly had a protruding barrel, or it was half the size at 70mm. Did people actually think Canon had bypassed the laws of physics and made a 70-200 2.8 FF lens at half the size -- that what was in the case at 70mm was an entire internally-focsing lens?

- A

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2011
I wouldn't bet too much money on a comparable 5DV anytime soon. This is the camera they need(ed) to make to persuade 5DIV users to switch to mirrorless so there's no need to offer a mirrored alternative too quickly.
They would make money at least from me. I would upgrade my 5DIV to 5DV and EOS R to EOS R5. In fact I could upgrade both my 5DIV and one of my two 5DsRs to 5DV (I would sacrifice 5Mpixels out of 50 for increased IQ in both shadows and high ISO, more fps and bigger buffer). But that's me. I cannot know about everyone else.

Upvote 0
I'm sold. Ticks all the boxes for me, so I'll take two of these to replace my aging 5D3 and 1DX.

We have to presume that it'll be CF Express, so it's goodbye to my HUGE collection of excellent CF cards and readers and 'hello' to yet another £1,300 bill to buy just 4 x 128GB cards and two card readers! :oops:

Add this to the £12K of RF lenses I need to replace the EF glass, and this is going to be a my once a decade business investement done.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Они только объявили о начале разработки, что значит что такая камера появится неизвестно когда ))

It's implied it will be this year, but I take your point. It might not.

Подразумевается, что это будет в этом году, но я понимаю вашу точку зрения. Возможно, нет.

- A

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 4, 2016
But couldn't they tell just by looking at it? Either it was at 200mm and clearly had a protruding barrel, or it was half the size at 70mm. Did people actually think Canon had bypassed the laws of physics and made a 70-200 2.8 FF lens at half the size -- that what was in the case at 70mm was an entire internally-focsing lens?

- A

There were a few here that insisted the shorter registration distance made it possible...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
I don’t know the exact Sony specs but the R5 might have good enough speed and resolution that it steals customers from both the A7 and A9. When I was looking at leaving Nikon I considered Sony but was looking at both of those. For me I don’t care if it isn’t as high res as the 7 or fast as the 9. The R5 is good enough at each. And most importantly unlike the competition, at BOTH.
Yes you're absolutely correct. But if Canon decided to market the R5 as an alternative to the A9, asking a lower price for what is supposedly a much more capable camera wouldn't be a smart move. Pricing is never about what a camera can do but always about where the manufacturer sees its peers. And in the case of a R5 that's going to be any A7R series and Nikon Z7. Pretending it belonged anywhere close to the A9 would imply it also belongs close to the 1Dx III and you don't want to go down that road, cause then you'd have to ask whether the build quality of the 1Dx justifies its price premium or whether a R5 wouldn't belong in the same price category.

Upvote 0