Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
If you have:
  1. A Digic 8 or newer processor
  2. The DLO profile loaded into the camera (5 for R, 3 for RP, M6II, M50)
  3. The DLO corrections enabled
If you do all that, the JPGs will have DLO, but video and viewfinder will only have vignetting corrected. It's mentioned in the footnotes of the manual. I specifically looked it up before buying the M6II.

The 5D Mark IV has a DiG!C6+ and has in-camera DLO applied to JPEGs when shooting (assuming the lens profile is loaded).

Upvote 0

ErlendS

R5, RP, RF 24-70L, RF 85L, RF 70-200L, RF 100-500L
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 24, 2017
I don't understand how some of you seems to be dissapointed by the specs? I am still waiting for the resolution, but if there is a significant increase over my existing 5DIV, this camera checks all the boxes for me. On the FPS (though subject to the resolution) this really exceeds my expectations! Canon, please take my money!! R here I come! :cool:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I don't understand how some of you seems to be dissapointed by the specs? I am still waiting for the resolution, but if there is a significant increase over my existing 5DIV, this camera checks all the boxes for me.

What are you waiting for? It is 100% certain that it's going to be at least 40MP, and extremely likely to be 45MP.

Regarding the disappointments, well, if you gave some people a 200MP body shooting RAW at 100fps and full-res video at 480fps, with a morphing body that can both fit in your pocket and comfortably hold a 800mm lens, depending on the situation, a builtin 1x–8x extender, and a max ISO of 2^32 with 64 stops of DR, and all that for $100, they'd complain that the camera is too versatile and they don't want to pay extra for features they don't need.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
They are talking about the NEW AF-ON Button so far only found on the 1D Mark III that also has a Joystick AND an AF-ON-Button, but the AF-ON-Button is not only a button but also (as far as I understand) allows AF-point switching. It appears they would have wanted this new button to appear on the R5 as well. As it is, the R5 has the traditional controls already found on the 5D Mark IV. What I am missing is the AF mode selector button (to switch from point to the various AF area modes). Is it hidden somewhere or is that feature implemented differently on mirrorless?

Maybe you could map that "useless DoF button" on the front of the camera to do that?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
My guess is that it is programmable. And if people are going to reprogram it, why bother labelling it?

The new button on the 1D X Mark III has a "touchpad" like surface in the middle that allows the user to scroll around the VF with their thumb. It's obviously not included in the R5.

1581598084755.png

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The new button on the 1D X Mark III has a "touchpad" like surface in the middle that allows the user to scroll around the VF with their thumb. It's obviously not included in the R5.

View attachment 188658
For me the location of the joystick on the R5 is better being right next to AF-ON

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Excellent! So if they make a 45Mpixel 5DMkV it seems I was wrong to have bought a second 5DsR for birding :D (Although admittedly I bought it much cheaper than my first one).
I wouldn't bet too much money on a comparable 5DV anytime soon. This is the camera they need(ed) to make to persuade 5DIV users to switch to mirrorless so there's no need to offer a mirrored alternative too quickly.

Upvote 0