Deleted member 381342

My guess for the RF lenses are

135mm
100mm
24mm
35mm
Budget 50mm
Maybe another tele zoom or prime

The main reason I think they will likely release these lens this is a pro body for sure and a lot of the above lenses would come in handy for Pros. The Macro to me is a must!

I think we might see the RF 300 and 500 primes; they didn't get v3's with the 400 and 600, and what are we putting a 1.4x and 2x converter on? Surely not the 100-500 which would make a f/14 1000mm.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Reliable and disgusting at the same time maybe?
Possibly. But reasonable from abusiness point of view. Given Canon's history I'm inclined to say there isn't going to be a 5DV. The 1Dx was the last significant DSLR from Canon and I believe the main reason is that there simply wasn't enough native RF tele glass ready and out in the world for a mirrorless R1.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Personally the best surprise for me of the RF lenses so far has been the 35mm 1.8 IS. It really is tiny, focuses very closely, is sharp, has IS. I am hoping it heralds a whole series of high quality, small, modest aperture primes. Imagine a 20/2.8, 28/2. 50/1.8, 85/18 and 100/2 all brought up to modern optics, all remaining very small and light, all having top notch IS - would be great fun and form a solid base for the RF mount :)

Agreed, except I wish they would let me limit the close up focal range in firmware because 3/4 of the focus range of the RF 35 is closer than a foot and that makes focusing closer and noisier.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Possibly. But reasonable from abusiness point of view. Given Canon's history I'm inclined to say there isn't going to be a 5DV. The 1Dx was the last significant DSLR from Canon and I believe the main reason is that there simply wasn't enough native RF tele glass ready and out in the world for a mirrorless R1.
I believe Canon's intention to make 5DV has been mentioned in this forum a couple of months ago. We will know in about a year tops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Honest question from a new to Canon student: do some people really just yank the hood to zoom that one?

I've seen user of all brands do it with "push-pull" zooms, a/k/a "dust pumps", which is what the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS is. The EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, on the other hand, has a zoom ring.

Upvote 0
Welp, that’s about it. I think 2020 is the year that I start dumping money into the R series. Can’t wait to see what the 100-500 yields image-wise. Is there a link to more info on the lens announcements?
If comparable to the EF 100-400mm, including close focus, it will be amazing. :love:

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Okay, I've had a night to sleep on it. I'm geeked about what we all think is coming, but I just have to wonder if what they aren't telling us is a really big deal or not.

Big stuff we still don't formally know yet:

If this camera truly is in the 45 MP neighborhood (even though it's 44.7 MP or so for 3:2 8K to be true...) -- hear me out
  • Any chance at all that 'other tech' is making an otherwise lower-res-than-we-think sensor accomplish more? Is there any chance we've got a sensor in the 20-25 MP range and some realtime combination of DPAF, IBIS or the electronic video stabilization we've had on prior rigs is 'spoofing' a higher resolution like some cameras do with multi-shot? (Is that even possible for video?)
If this camera will capture 8K video onboard and right out of the box
  • Perhaps the camera costs $3-4k and the external 8K recorder costs the same?
From the announcement:​
"The new full-frame mirrorless camera currently under development will fully leverage the advantages of the EOS R System, helping to produce a camera that features high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording"
Once more, with feeling:​
"The new full-frame mirrorless camera currently under development will fully leverage the advantages of the EOS R System, helping to produce a camera that features high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording"
Sounds like they are forming Voltron. Is there any chance that the R5 is just part of an 8K recording setup? :unsure:

• Do we need a very special and expensive grip to record this video? (Nikon's top fps on the D850 requires a grip, right?)
  • Perhaps the camera costs $3-4k but you have to have some hardware tweaking done by Canon to unlock (or make safe) onboard 8k -- possibly for a nontrivial sum?
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but they didn't actually say the MP count was in the 40s or that this camera will record 8K onboard / out of the box. Any chance they won't deliver on those two specs?

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's alot of things that over the years canon has kept to the 1 series line deliberately. heck spot metering at your AF point comes to mind ;)

I think this is a fantastic test when the R5 comes out. If Canon intends this to tide over pros for the next 18 months, we'll see point-linked spot metering. If Canon intends to come out with an R1 anytime in the next couple years, it won't be there.

PS:
I have to say that I use this a ton on my A7R4s. It's nice on the A92, but to lack it on a camera designed for a different purpose is super frustrating in Canon land. Word to Canon: when you choose a feature to deny lower-end bodies, don't use a feature that is needed in the top-of-the-line specialty cameras, like the 5DSR.

Upvote 0