Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Aug 24, 2016
Let's Talk about the SHORTCOMINGS OF THE CANON EOS R5 : ( as compared to 5D4,Panasonic S1H,A7R4,Z7 )

1. No dedicated buttons for Mode dial , button for switching between photo & video mode, ( in the 360 render of the R5 camera cannot locate either a dedicated ISO button or AF drive button ). It has less buttons overall as compared to 5D4. Thumbs down :(

2. Megapixels : R5 will possibly have 40 megapixels (which is very less in 2020, at least 45 Mpx is a must) ...Nikon released D850 in 2017 with 45 Mpx , now Z7 in 2019 with 46 mpx, A7r4 can do 61 mpx. Canon doesn't have the DR of the Sony's & Nikons. So R5 lags behind the competition in photo specs.

3. Possibly the R5 will not have 10 bit internal video like S1H , or record externally 10 bit like Nikon z7, z6. S1H leads in video specs hands down.So R5 lags in video specs as well.

4. Possibly No anamorphic lens support like S1H. R5 lags

5. S1H can do dual ISO for cleaner video at higher ISO. R5 lags here too.

6. S1H is NETFLIX approved & imho R5 won't have those specs for NETFLIX approval. R5 lags.

6. can't do ISO 32 & ISO 64 like the Nikon Z7 when you want shallower depth of field in bright light.

7. Canon has not talked about the battery life..in all probability it will take fewer shots per battery charge as compared to Canon 5D4.

8. so the ONLY saving grace that Canon marketing found for this camera was that to give it 8K !!! :)))
if you take out the 8K from the equation what does R5 have that the competition doesn't already offer???

Further, imho that 8K will come with at least a 2x crop & 8 bit 4.2.0 codec. So basically that will be a gimmick ...not for Pro's. Not sure whether the 4K will be with crop of Full frame either. Also possibly no live AF tracking in 4K or 8K modes. Canon has NOT revealed anything on the codecs. is it 8bit? or 10 bit? or has 12bit Raw like C200. Internal 10 bit in 4K is a must in 2020. what about RAW video codec ?? it doesn't seem to have. RAW lite a must for video in 2020.

Canon is solidly lagging behind the competition by at least 2 years in Mirrorless...it is releasing cameras with specs which the competition already released in 2017 on wards.

So do u think R5 is the ONE which will destroy the competition in 2020 ???
So do you think it's in any way smart to compare a camera that has just had its development announcement to cameras that are already out and reviewed?

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Disagree. 5-series will get at least one more refresh.

You can't make professionals who have used a certain instrument for (in some cases) decades just give it up because 'it's time'. There needs be a generation or two of pro-quality/reliability RF bodies before working photographers let you take the manual transmission out of their daily drivers. Some folks may go willingly (and have already), but some folks know and love the horse that got them here.

- A
You do have a point there. Although not directly comparable, they have done something similar with the 90D / M6 II and there is likely not as much money invested in glass as in a potential R5 / 5DV scenario.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Honest question from a new to Canon student: do some people really just yank the hood to zoom that one?
Doubtful. Certainly not me—I have no use for lens hoods.

Questar telescope(s)
1982 Questar Duplex, BB; Zerodur, bought new, factory rebuilt prior to the 2017 solar eclipse.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
2. Megapixels : R5 will possibly have 40 megapixels (which is very less in 2020, at least 45 Mpx is a must) ...Nikon released D850 in 2017 with 45 Mpx , now Z7 in 2019 with 46 mpx, A7r4 can do 61 mpx. Canon doesn't have the DR of the Sony's & Nikons. So R5 lags behind the competition in photo specs.

So... Three high res cameras that the R5 is not intended to compete with have different resolution specs. I'm impressed. That's strong material. You are totally convincing me of things. Go on.​
(You do realize that a higher-res-than-R5 camera is coming for expressly the purpose of pushing competitive high-res cameras around, right?)​

Further, imho that 8K will come with at least a 2x crop & 8 bit 4.2.0 codec.

If 8k comes with a 2x crop, that means we're getting a ~180 MP sensor. :rolleyes:

- A

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
My 2020 Gear and Price Wishlist
R6 $2000 (TBA)
RP $999
EF 50mm f1.8 $125
RF 85mm f1.8 $600 (TBA)
Tamron EF SP 28-75 f2.8 XR DI $500
Tokina EF 16-28 f2.8 $650

I got to buy everything from scratch, because my equipment was stolen. I have been using an old Canon 60D and some borrowed lenses as temporary measure for the last year while I save money.

Finally have about $5000 saved. So trying to be smart about what I invest into. Can’t blow my load on the great new RF lenses so will have to pick my spots.

Although, I am curious what you guys think about the Tamron EF SP 28-75 XR DI f2.8 vs the RF 24-105 f/4. Which would you choose. The Tamron is about $500 less difference in price, less reach, but faster aperture.

Will try to find the EF lenses on the used market as well to save money. But I really do hope the R6 body is competitively priced to rival the Z6 and A7III. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Actually Canon pits this camera against all the others out there.
Judging from the reactions in this thread, they are very successful in it.

At first, possibly, but the entire '45 MP x 20 fps = it punches back against everything!' notion may not hold water once we see the fine print. 20 fps shooting will not be 1DX3 like -- it just can't be.

I still think Canon is building up a rather segmented/purpose-built/targeted FF mirrorless platform. Until we see what else makes that initial structure of offerings, it's hard to know what products Canon will pit against the competition.

I still think a proper bonkers high-res stills rig is coming (think mirrorless 5DS2) and the R5 is simply the mirrorless 5D5, i.e. their 'pro all-arounder' / jack of all trades.

- A

Upvote 0

Arod820

Camera Operator
Sep 19, 2018
Miami
Welp, that’s about it. I think 2020 is the year that I start dumping money into the R series. Can’t wait to see what the 100-500 yields image-wise. Is there a link to more info on the lens announcements?

You were wise to hold out this long, I bought my R in October and the price dropped considerably in November.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
My 2020 Gear and Price Wishlist
R6 $2000 (TBA)
RP $999
EF 50mm f1.8 $125
RF 85mm f1.8 $600 (TBA)
Tamron EF SP 28-75 f2.8 XR DI $500
Tokina EF 16-28 f2.8 $650

I got to buy everything from scratch, because my equipment was stolen. I have been using an old Canon 60D and some borrowed lenses as temporary measure for the last year while I save money.

Finally have about $5000 saved. So trying to be smart about what I invest into. Can’t blow my load on the great new RF lenses so will have to pick my spots.

Although, I am curious what you guys think about the Tamron EF SP 28-75 XR DI f2.8 vs the RF 24-105 f/4. Which would you choose. The Tamron is about $500 less difference in price, less reach, but faster aperture.

Will try to find the EF lenses on the used market as well to save money. But I really do hope the R6 body is competitively priced to rival the Z6 and A7III. Fingers crossed.
I am sure you can find RF24-105 cheaper than the $1K you imply. Although I got it as a kit with R from Europe so I cannot provide you with specific examples have you tried to find grey importers?

I would not touch the specific Tamron according to TDP comparisons:

Upvote 0