Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Rate? OMG! I realized it only right now...

This is the button I am missing on my current camera.
My dream workflow would be to download from my camera only the keepers. (I'm handling all the time too many picture) And this button suggests a fast way to get the job done.
Delete button works the same way and gives you some additional space on the memory card.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Ok, if it's used in Canon sensors, I could be wrong. However the AD conversion itself is only a part of the processing and the total amount of data to transfer/process after ADC is only reduced by 14%. The total win isn't going to be 4x.

The A/D stage can definitely be a bottleneck in some cases. For example, if it takes 50ms to perform a single full-sensor readout, you're not going to do more than 20fps no matter how fast everything downstream is. Remember, with current sensor tech you can't start a new exposure "from the top" before the sensor is completely flushed. And if that 50ms is reduced to 12ms by switching to 12-bit ADC mode, that's going to enable all sorts of stuff even if the downstream pipeline bottlenecks below 4x speedup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
Today has been a very pleasant day.
I really appreciate to see a company like Canon finally putting in place what their customers had been asking for a while.

From the little announcement video, we could see headphones jack, microphone jack, joystick, wheel on the back, flip screen, ...
Things we thought were needed for a good video oriented camera, IBIS being also confirmed (great news).
8K video might not be important for me but means impressive options for slow motion in 4K (120 !) or HD( at least 240?...)
However, we still need to wait for clarification of the codecs 10 or 8 bits, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 ? 4:2:2 in 4K would be very nice.
and the crop factor which is going to be key for me. I hope crop factor of 1: 1 in 4K at 24 fps.

Once people will publish pictures and video footages made with the R5, it would nice if everyone could post them on this website.
I personally will share what I find regarding video quality.

Looking further to more conversations on image and/or video quality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How many types of "8K Resolution" are there ???

---

There are TWO "types" of 8K resolution:

1) DCI (Digital Cinema Initiative) is the PRODUCTION SIDE of video (i.e. capturing an image at the PROFESSIONAL LEVEL) which is ALWAYS at 8192 by 4320 when using the 35mm film aspect ratio which works generally out to ABOUT 1.89:1

2) the CONSUMER-oriented UHDTV 8K standard distribution side which is always 16:9 aspect ratio at 7680 by 4320 pixels.

Since Canon HAS TO use at least 7680 pixels on the horizontal AND MUST HAVE a 3:2 aspect ratio for the Still Photo folks, we can LIKELY ASSUME a specific sensor resolution of EITHER:

a) 8192 x 5455 or 44,687,360 total pixels (44.68 megapixels) = 3:2 still photos and allows DCI 8K video at 1:89 Academy Ratio (35mm film equivalent)

b) 7680 x 5120 or 39,321,600 total pixels (39.32 megapixels) = 3:2 still photos and allows UHDTV video 8K at 16:9 Consumer TV aspect ratio.

I should ALSO NOTE that there are some additional sensor calibration photo-sites USUALLY put on the horizontal AND/OR the vertical which means the above two resolutions MAY have an extra 120 pixels (or so!) on either side!

THOSE ABOVE are the MINIMUM POSSIBLE VALUES --- there MAY BE MORE PIXELS !!!!

---

Anyways, this is STILL GREAT NEWS FOR Canon gurus! This Canon R5 looks like it will be a GREAT CAMERA for BOTH Stills AND Video !!!

---

I should STATE AGAIN THOUGH .... certain competitors ARE NOT SITTING STILL !!!!

---

Upvote 0
Delete button works the same way and gives you some additional space on the memory card.
I never delete photos in-camera except for very obvious failures and the ones that have already been transferred to PC. Rate button in turn is very useful on 5DIV. I mark beginnings of sequences for stacking/blending and also some potential keepers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yeah, that's the thing, I always keep an "L" bracket on my cameras...at least my 5D3 always has one on it.....RRS version.

Maybe they'll come up with some sort of new L bracket that works with this R5 tilty-flippy....

I hope so, because I love having my L bracket to go back and forth from tripod, to mono pod, to even my motion controlled set ups, in either landscape/format as needed, with a quick release arca Swiss type clamping system.....

If it doesn't allow for flippy screen movement, I guess I'll just bear with it, but I'd hate not being able to use something they give me, but "L" bracket is much higher on my priority list of things used to date.

C

The RRS bracket for the EOS R does have the gap to let the flip-screen swing out and move quite a bit; however, it also has a spot where the RRS bracket, with just a little bit of pressure, could easily pierce the edge of the screen. It's the upper part of the gap. Personally, I don't think the RRS crew put much effort or thought into the L-bracket for the R. They've left out the magnetically secured hex-wrench too stowed in the base, but charged about as much as for the 5DIV bracket. I hope they get their act together for the new bodies coming up.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon has never been known to make any "video centric" stills camera. I know for a while there was some talk of them abandoning the conventional 1D,5D,6D lineup of full frame cameras. But now that we see there's a camera named the R5 with specs and controls similar to what one would expect from a 5D, I think it's only logical to expect that the R6 will just be a 6D successor. I doubt that they're going towards any kind of "video centric" camera the way sony has with the A7S. And why would they? Canon has any number of cinema cameras they're ready to sell you if you want to shoot primarily video. I also suspect Canon is a little leery to make any sort of video centric stills camera after the monumental flop that the 1DC was.
So was the 1DC a video centric stills camera or a stills centric video camera? Confused. ;)

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
---

There are TWO "types" of 8K resolution:

1) DCI (Digital Cinema Initiative) is the PRODUCTION SIDE of video (i.e. capturing an image at the PROFESSIONAL LEVEL) which is ALWAYS at 8192 by 4320 when using the 35mm film aspect ratio which works generally out to ABOUT 1.89:1

2) the CONSUMER-oriented UHDTV 8K standard distribution side which is always 16:9 aspect ratio at 7680 by 4320 pixels.

Since Canon HAS TO use at least 7680 pixels on the horizontal AND MUST HAVE a 3:2 aspect ratio for the Still Photo folks, we can LIKELY ASSUME a specific sensor resolution of EITHER:

a) 8192 x 5455 or 44,687,360 total pixels (44.68 megapixels) = 3:2 still photos and allows DCI 8K video at 1:89 Academy Ratio (35mm film equivalent)

b) 7680 x 5120 or 39,321,600 total pixels (39.32 megapixels) = 3:2 still photos and allows UHDTV video 8K at 16:9 Consumer TV aspect ratio.

I should ALSO NOTE that there are some additional sensor calibration photo-sites USUALLY put on the horizontal AND/OR the vertical which means the above two resolutions MAY have an extra 120 pixels (or so!) on either side!

THOSE ABOVE are the MINIMUM POSSIBLE VALUES --- there MAY BE MORE PIXELS !!!!

---

Anyways, this is STILL GREAT NEWS FOR Canon gurus! This Canon R5 looks like it will be a GREAT CAMERA for BOTH Stills AND Video !!!

---

I should STATE AGAIN THOUGH .... certain competitors ARE NOT SITTING STILL !!!!

---

Thanks for the calculation. Let's see if Canon will target academy ratio or the TV one.

What I wish to see now: the final quality of video. I hope we will see sharp video quality.
In the past, the Canon video quality was not really sharp and this was annoying when filming landscape, seaside with surfers etc.

The logic would be very sharp 8k, sharp 4K, less to not sharp HD.
That way people could choose the level of sharpness they want by chosing the right video definition.
If you are not looking for a lot of sharpness ie details, you don't need a very high resolution.
An interview in HD is good enough. Don't want to have the details of the skin...

Let's see what Canon will offer on that side?!

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Hi Mike. So what is the latest on Sonyalpha? Are Sony now looking to exit camera business? Has it been announced yet or they waiting for the Canon RS to be announced first?
a garbage truck dumped a box of used Sony mirrorless cameras on my nature strip last night. Thought about calling Salvos and ask them to collect. :) :)

If Sony is smart they should have a significant sale to lock people into their system before Canon drops their new body/bodies

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
With all this talk about lenses and potential camera prices, not much has been said about the sensor itself. Will it be a stacked sensor like the patent Canon published on Dec 21, 2017? The press release talks about an all new sensor (probably not just because it is likely 45 mp).
As an example the A9 has a stacked sensor that allows it to shoot 20fps.

Canon PowerShot G7X III has a 1-inch, 20.1MP, stacked sensor. Some people suspect it's a Sony sensor but I highly doubt it; I think it is made by Canon. So I wouldn't be surprised if the new FF sensor is indeed a stacked sensor.

Upvote 0