The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

Aug 9, 2016
I think you're reading way too deep into marketing jargon. They called it the R5 to convey exactly where they expect to place it in the market. Why else would they jump right from EOS R to R5?

Also, the R5 does not have the vertical grip, large battery to go along with that, or the additional buttons on the front of the camera they reserve for their 1D level cameras. The R5 is meant as a 5D level camera, there's no question.

I agree partly, yes I still think they will come out with a 1D type full grip camera but this for me is NOT a 5D replacement, its entirely new.

If you look at the 5D line it has very incremental steps, this camera is leaps ahead of the current 5D. I have owned all the 5D line from the beginning.
Its going from,
7fps to 12/20fps
30mp to 45mp (rumored)

this is a huge jump and I'm all for it but its not a 5D replacement, its way above that in my opinion

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I think I acknowledged that it could be an issue, but if they are shipping in July they have probably started building units for the warehouse. This would be a complex supply chain and they would have been building up components inventories for the last few months in preparation to build even they have not started assembly yet. Depending on the quantity they have built, it could be in extremely limited supply after the pre-orders. I thought Sony's issues was for specialized memory for stacked sensors. In any case, products scheduled for delivery late in the year would be more impacted by the issue in China that products with a mid -year launch already int he manufacturing chain.

We will see, you may be right.
I think you're looking at this with some seriously rose tinted glasses. I find it hard to believe that Canon has very much stock built up for a camera that's still several months from release. Also generally the way stuff gets manufactured now with just in time component deliveries to the plant, they don't "build up" a stock of components before something gets made. It's a financial liability to set on a bunch of expensive parts months before you actually build a product. Parts are normally delivered to the factory very shortly before they're actually used to build a camera.

I also don't think Canon will release the camera until they have a good stock of them built up. They aren't going to release the camera with only a very limited supply to sell to people. As soon as the camera is released, people will be looking towards how many Canon has been able to sell to judge if the camera is a success or not. And not having enough stock on hand is a good way for Canon to look very bad from several angles, ie they can't build cameras quickly enough, also the impression that no one is buying their new camera, and finally unhappy customers waiting forever on their preorder. Releasing a camera before you have sufficient stock built up is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I agree partly, yes I still think they will come out with a 1D type full grip camera but this for me is NOT a 5D replacement, its entirely new.

If you look at the 5D line it has very incremental steps, this camera is leaps ahead of the current 5D. I have owned all the 5D line from the beginning.
Its going from,
7fps to 12/20fps
30mp to 45mp (rumored)

this is a huge jump and I'm all for it but its not a 5D replacement, its way above that in my opinion
Canon has been able to take incremental steps in the past due to the (relative) lack of competition. The game has changed, both because cameras are beginning to function fundamentally different than they used to (mirrorless), and Canon never had Sony to compete against when DSLRs ruled.

Canon had no choice but to step up their game on this camera, but that doesn't mean they don't still intend this as a 5D level camera (again, it's called the R5!)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019

Its going from,
7fps to 12/20fps
30mp to 45mp (rumored)

Its a huge jump because technology has changed. The write speed has gone to CFexpress 2. Although I believe this will be CFexpress 1 @ 1gb per ch write speed

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

Its going from,
7fps to 12/20fps
30mp to 45mp (rumored)

The entire R concept is meant to be a huge leap ahead.
Canon is flexing design muscle again.
The 5 equates with the 5D or R5 in that it is not a 1 series.
It is a level we all understand.
Who knows the 1 series might make your popcorn, do post processing and kiss your wife goodnight for you. :LOL:
In other words it might just totally blow the doors off the competition as the EF 1 series did for decades.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I think the R5 will need an add-on vertical grip with large battery if it will be widely adopted for professional use. Beyond the EVF, my only other concern is battery life. Looking at Sony they appear to have a vertical grip with larger batteries. There also appears to be a number of pro sports shooters using them, which I found interesting. One even said they use mirrorless for sports, but would bring a DSLR for the Olympics.

Looking at how things have evolved since I left the profession twelve years ago, sports shooters are more dependent on AF now and appear to shoot more images per sequence and pick out the keepers. AF was not very good a decade ago, so we mostly pre-focused and waited for the subject to come in to focus to shoot (unless there was lots of action, then AF-ON and hope). That probably would not work well with an EVF, but if AF is great, and you get 20FPS in focus, maybe that is how an MILC works for sports.

That said, even with rare bursts, reviewing 9000 shots a weekend, and editing and posting 2000-3000 was brutal. I can't imagine double the FPS and using bursts as the norm being manageable without an assistant.

These are excellent points.
... how to find THE shot in the thousands taken. Looks, these super high 20FPS come at a price ...

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
The entire R concept is meant to be a huge leap ahead.
Canon is flexing design muscle again.
The 5 equates with the 5D or R5 in that it is not a 1 series.
It is a level we all understand.
Who knows the 1 series might make your popcorn, do post processing and kiss your wife goodnight for you. :LOL:
In other words it might just totally blow the doors off the competition as the EF 1 series did for decades.

Here is an example what a future R1 could provide:
- built-in AI that automatically selects for you 'the best' shots of these thousands shots taken in 20FPS bursts ...
I think the hardware is so advanced at this point such that the software needs to improve to catch up with what hardware is capable of ...

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I’m delaying a lot of important buying decisions until I see this exact thing.

And wearing out the refresh icon.

It’s the news I’m waiting on the most.

Yes, that is my problem, too.
I badly need a wide angle zoom. While I could buy the RF 15-35, I am hoping for a RF 14-28 f/2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If you had read the entire post you might have seen that I qualified my opinion with "Unless there is somehow no lag in the EVF". And it was just that, an opinion about this upcoming camera, not an opinion and rude response about another persons opinion. Sad to see that even though we are interested in the new camera, and came her to speculate about it as we have few specs, people have to attack others.

Having done photography for 50 years, and a good chunk of that as a widely published professional sports photographer, if this body has an EVF like the EOS R, it will be quite limited for sports, IMO.
EOS R EVF was slow (latent) due to sensor readout speed limitations. R5 sensor readout is at least 3 times better, therefore we can expect considerably less EVF latency. A 50ms latency levels would be fairly manageable for sports in my POV. What’s the current A9II EVF latency like? Do we know?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Thinking about it, the one place this camera makes no sense is the Olympics. Unless there is somehow no lag in the EVF, it will not work well for sports. Unless it can somehow focus while recording 8k video, it will not work well for sports. For ceremonies, or other more static situations it should be great, but for most of the action, not so much.

Does anyone know of pro sports shooters who use MILC bodies for action?

There are a lot of uses for second/third bodies with wider lenses at major sporting events such as the Olympics. Not every photo filed will be shot with a Super Telephoto of an athlete moving fast. There will be a lot of reaction shots after the action, pensive athletes getting in their "zone" before the action, fans in the stands, etc. It's a spectacle that goes far beyond the action.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Since the 5Dii and 7D era, those were considered professional/consumer (ie prosumer) level, and the 1D is strictly professional level product segment. How Canon structure their product, calling it prosumer or pro, can be different than how we perceive it. So the R5 should be called as prosumer because it's using the same battery power as the 5D w/ only two li-ion cells.
What?????
Which would you pick:

1. a bada** pro photog with a prosumer camera; or
2. a lifetime noob photog w/ a pro camera?

The point is, does it really matter what Canon classified the camera as?!? I bet you got some bada** gears.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Thinking about it, the one place this camera makes no sense is the Olympics. Unless there is somehow no lag in the EVF, it will not work well for sports. Unless it can somehow focus while recording 8k video, it will not work well for sports. For ceremonies, or other more static situations it should be great, but for most of the action, not so much.

Does anyone know of pro sports shooters who use MILC bodies for action?

Sure, there are a few. Most of them shoot golf and tennis regularly and the silent shutter of the α9/α9II helps a lot in those situations. But they are still a small minority of the total number of shooters at most major sporting events.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
That Fro-knows-photo guy just did a video with the 1DxMkIII where he used some kind of weird adapter that allows the LCD on the back of the camera to be used with an eye cup. That worked out pretty stellar for him. It simulated mirrorless performance as he just locked the shutter out of the way and used live view to shoot.

-Brian

It's just a "loupe", the rest of the contraption was to hold it on without gluing it to what was most likely a review loaner from Canon.

Upvote 0