Are these the 7 RF lenses Canon will be announcing in 2020? [CR1]

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
Hi, I have NOT used the EF 35 2.0 IS but I had the chance to get the RP WITH the RF 35 "for free" during a very good offer. I had no stabilized wide angle lens, and I have seen a need for vloggin so that offer just came in time.

I am shure both lenses perform similar which can be seen on

while that comparison is a little bit tricky because both lenses are testet on different cameras. I try to "average" EF lens images between 5Ds and 1Ds mark iii for a better comparability - just looking at both sensors output.

Optically the EF version seems to be a little bit crisper in the corners and if you do not need the 1:2 macro mode and do not need minimum size it might be good to stay with the EF version which works on M cameras too. The first RF lens brings more incompatibilitys in the bag!

Thanks for your feedback.

Upvote 0

Phil

EOS R, RF24-105 f4, RF35 1.8, RF50 1.2, RF85 1.2
Oct 17, 2018
Hi Phil,
For me, the 70-135 f/2. I have never used the RF 70-200mm f/2.8L so I cannot speak to how the bokeh is. On the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II the bokeh was busy or nervous looking at times. That doesn't mean I didn't like the lens, I really did. It was a fantastic lens. I really don't see a need for me to go beyond 135mm for a portrait and f/2 is just much nicer. Both lenses I am sure would be great, but I will go for the 70-135. Primes are nice, but for the stuff I do a fast f/2 zoom is a better fit.
Yeah I think the 70-135 F2 will be the way to go. The reason I went the 1.2 primes when I changed over to the RF system was because I thought the bigger point of difference with aperture and sharpness over your average Joe or smart phone will probably be better in the future. But I actually prefer the 135 compression combined with F2 as I use to have the EF 135 but I just found it a bit long sometimes. The more I think about it the more I think 70-135mm will be the perfect portrait lens for me. I am looking forward to the R5 mostly for the ibis as I’m getting shaky in my 40’s, but that’s probably a next year purchase. With a vertical grip I have grown to really like the R. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
180mm at 2.0 would mean a very large diameter. I think, non practical.
I beg to differ :) what is the filter diameter of RF 28-70/2.0? Was it 95mm? Right! So.. sure, both lenses will be 95mm front filter. Pickle jars indeed. However if 90-180/2.0 lens can be made lighter than 4.5-5 lbs.. , then count me in.

Failing that there is a Plan B then: 80-180/2.2 (82mm). That’s 2/3 of a stop faster than F2.8. Which is substantial for events.
I am so easy to please. :)

Upvote 0
I disagree. There should be a few budget conscious primes available in native RF mount for users of the RP and its successor. Canon is clearly phasing out of the EF mount so it would be natural to offer some basic lenses for the entry level user. Not everyone can afford the R5 and 1.2L lenses.

If Canon doesn't offer these, and Sigma/Tamron decide not to make RF lenses, the budget conscious purchaser may decide that Sony is a better option just for the glass.

They will phase out EF, that is true. But that will essentially take years. Affordable primes will come, that is a given... it makes no sense when people claim that canon won't. They literally stated that their game plan is for RP people (early adopters) will have the whole of the EF line as an affordable option. Keep in mind that most people buying the RP are entry level people, and they typically do not even ever buy primes... Statistically those who buy entry level cameras have a kit lens on there along with perhaps the nifty fifty. No reason why one can't simply adopt the 50 stm at least for now.

Look. I wish there was already at least an RF 50 f1.8, and some of those f4 zooms, but so far I have been pretty spot on with how canon would approach this because it makes sense on their end, though it isn't what works for me.

1. The camera market is shrinking. That is a fact, so the pool of potential buyers will shrink. Who will be the people that will still be buying cameras and camera gear in 5 years? In 10 years? Those are the people that canon is focusing on right out the gate.

2. With (1) in mind, how to go about securing those people? Show them that canon is unique, and at the top of its game. They did this with lenses first, since their bodies were lagging. I had suspected it was a data processing bottleneck. Their latest processor kinda shows this was indeed the case.

3. Seems like 50 f1.8 and 85 f1.8 are on the road map for this year. So apparently canon hasn't forgotten. In hindsight looking at the rumors and annoucement for the R5, canon planned on annoucing it in late 2019 and it turns out it was delayed to this year. If this is true, then obviously they had their plate full. They got a lot of flak about the EOS R and RP compared to the competition. So looking at this pragmatically I would agree with their approach to prioritize getting the R5 finished rather than affordable glass.

4. Summary... canon has to absolutely secure their position in the market. They can't afford not to. And showing tech and innovation is generally the best way to secure that. It is just like a startup company's approach where making money is not the top priority, but proof of concept and ensuring investors that there will be a future, that is what I expected canon's approach to be. Their EF lines are already options. It is still the cheapest way into photography. People buying MILC an FF are not the norm (the bread and butter), pros and those already invested in the system will still use EF glass, and likely EF bodies and adopt to the RF mount. I really don't believe that the RP's intended target was really people completely new to photography, as most don't do 1k for a body. And when it comes to people like us who already know what we are doing... you do your research, you manage your expectations and you take a calculated risk knowing full well that manufacturers will follow their business strategies that may not fit our need, but has a logic to it base don their business model.

End of the day... looking at canon's history, i have very little doubt that they meticulously analyze and plan what they need to do.

Cheers, and sorry for the rant.

I for one am looking forward to more affordable glass. Besides cost my issues with RF lenses is in fact size and weight. I love what I see coming out of the 50 f1.2 for example. But I sure don't like the idea of a 50 the size and weight of the RF 24-105.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..] I had suspected it was a data processing bottleneck. Their latest processor kinda shows this was indeed the case.
[..]

It is more likely to be a sensor readout speed issue, just look at how much data the M6II and 90D can process using the 'old' digic 8. That can do 32mpix, 14fps with AF and AE, which is like 3x the performance of the R, which has the same digic 8.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
I wish they would do 70-180mm f/2. I know it is asking a lot, and would be pretty big, but 135mm just doesn't cut it even for a portrait lens. I would still take the 70-200 f/2.8 over a 70-135 f/2 anyday. With the working distance that the RF 70-200 has you can get close at 200mm and get tons of pop off the background. And it doubles as an excellent event lens. 70-135 is too short for weddings, and 135 @ f/2 vs 200 @ f/2.8 is a wash in terms of bokeh. A lot of people would take the extra compression from 200mm over 135mm. I think a 70-180mm f/2 on the other hand is close enough to 200mm to be clearly more flexible and useful than the 70-200 f/2.8. If they just let the lens vignette a little more and correct it with built in camera/lightroom profiles then they'd have something I actually would be interested in using for professional event photography.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
They will phase out EF, that is true. But that will essentially take years. Affordable primes will come, that is a given... it makes no sense when people claim that canon won't. They literally stated that their game plan is for RP people (early adopters) will have the whole of the EF line as an affordable option. Keep in mind that most people buying the RP are entry level people, and they typically do not even ever buy primes... Statistically those who buy entry level cameras have a kit lens on there along with perhaps the nifty fifty. No reason why one can't simply adopt the 50 stm at least for now.

Look. I wish there was already at least an RF 50 f1.8, and some of those f4 zooms, but so far I have been pretty spot on with how canon would approach this because it makes sense on their end, though it isn't what works for me.

1. The camera market is shrinking. That is a fact, so the pool of potential buyers will shrink. Who will be the people that will still be buying cameras and camera gear in 5 years? In 10 years? Those are the people that canon is focusing on right out the gate.

2. With (1) in mind, how to go about securing those people? Show them that canon is unique, and at the top of its game. They did this with lenses first, since their bodies were lagging. I had suspected it was a data processing bottleneck. Their latest processor kinda shows this was indeed the case.

3. Seems like 50 f1.8 and 85 f1.8 are on the road map for this year. So apparently canon hasn't forgotten. In hindsight looking at the rumors and annoucement for the R5, canon planned on annoucing it in late 2019 and it turns out it was delayed to this year. If this is true, then obviously they had their plate full. They got a lot of flak about the EOS R and RP compared to the competition. So looking at this pragmatically I would agree with their approach to prioritize getting the R5 finished rather than affordable glass.

4. Summary... canon has to absolutely secure their position in the market. They can't afford not to. And showing tech and innovation is generally the best way to secure that. It is just like a startup company's approach where making money is not the top priority, but proof of concept and ensuring investors that there will be a future, that is what I expected canon's approach to be. Their EF lines are already options. It is still the cheapest way into photography. People buying MILC an FF are not the norm (the bread and butter), pros and those already invested in the system will still use EF glass, and likely EF bodies and adopt to the RF mount. I really don't believe that the RP's intended target was really people completely new to photography, as most don't do 1k for a body. And when it comes to people like us who already know what we are doing... you do your research, you manage your expectations and you take a calculated risk knowing full well that manufacturers will follow their business strategies that may not fit our need, but has a logic to it base don their business model.

End of the day... looking at canon's history, i have very little doubt that they meticulously analyze and plan what they need to do.

Cheers, and sorry for the rant.

I for one am looking forward to more affordable glass. Besides cost my issues with RF lenses is in fact size and weight. I love what I see coming out of the 50 f1.2 for example. But I sure don't like the idea of a 50 the size and weight of the RF 24-105.

All good points.

Canon's future: Hopefully they are aware that more bulit-in software (computational photography) is needed. They have great harware, but the softwate is not keeping up. All the smart phones make great photos with inferior sensors because of all the computational photography that is build in (noise reduction is done by stacking exposures without the user even being aware of it etc).
Olympus has great knowledge in that department (unfortunstely their sensor size is wrong).

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
All good points.

Canon's future: Hopefully they are aware that more bulit-in software (computational photography) is needed. They have great harware, but the softwate is not keeping up. All the smart phones make great photos with inferior sensors because of all the computational photography that is build in (noise reduction is done by stacking exposures without the user even being aware of it etc).
Olympus has great knowledge in that department (unfortunstely their sensor size is wrong).

To counter your point, cell phones don't need to make exposures in 1/1000th of a second. No sensor available to the general public can stack frames fast enough to stop fast action. So it actually is a hardware problem. The software technology for frame stacking exists in many cameras and it exists in Photoshop. It's totally doable to burst mode on a subject in low light then align and stack the images in Photoshop to remove noise. And actually you can do it in camera on Canon cameras like the 6D II. But like I said, doing a stacked exposure in 1/1000th of a second is currently impossible.

Upvote 0
Indeed, but my concern is more that there's nothing on this list that will be cheap enough for some people, including those on this forum, who would like to move into the R ecosystem without spending a lot of money. IS drives up the cost, as I'm sure we all know, and I don't know how valuable it is in a 50mm 1.8 design that should, but is not guaranteed to, come in under $150.

use EF lenses

Upvote 0
Seems a little boring, given that Canon promised new and inventive lenses along with the R system.

The difference between f/2.8 and f/2 at 135mm isn't massive, and so that lens seems a little fringe.

Why no 17-55mm f/2.8? Why no telephoto lenses faster than f/7.1? Why no L primes smaller than their EF counterparts?

Did we really need a junky 24-105?
troll

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi all, for the R camera body (R5 expected for this Summer) I am looking for a wide angle lens (not necessary a fish eye but close to it).
I currently own an RF 15-35mm f2,8 and I need something quite wider. Ideally, the current EF 8-15 f/4 will be ok. However it is NOT an RF lens and the F/4 aperture is not too bright.
Just wondering if you think that realistically speaking, that is the best and maybe only option available now and probably for the next 6-12 months (or even more?).

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Hi all, for the R camera body (R5 expected for this Summer) I am looking for a wide angle lens (not necessary a fish eye but close to it).
I currently own an RF 15-35mm f2,8 and I need something quite wider. Ideally, the current EF 8-15 f/4 will be ok. However it is NOT an RF lens and the F/4 aperture is not too bright.
Just wondering if you think that realistically speaking, that is the best and maybe only option available now and probably for the next 6-12 months (or even more?).
I would have guessed that 15mm was already so wide that there would be no need for anything wider. I've never used such wide lenses, so I'm curious what kind of photos you are taking. I have gotten into taking panoramas, including 360 degree ones, either hand-held or on a lightweight tripod & dual rotator setup. Have you ever considered this?

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
I would have guessed that 15mm was already so wide that there would be no need for anything wider. I've never used such wide lenses, so I'm curious what kind of photos you are taking. I have gotten into taking panoramas, including 360 degree ones, either hand-held or on a lightweight tripod & dual rotator setup. Have you ever considered this?

Hi, thanks for the reply. If you think about stiching images, not really. I have a Samyang 7,5mm f3,5 that I use for my Olympus Pen-F 4/3 and I get on a seldom basis, great shoots. It is normal focus of course but quite good sharpness less and very cheap:)

Too much wider lenses to me are not too interested because the distortion. True. But stiching images can be also a bit a pain. Honestly, a 10mm lens for my R lens was probably going to be a great addition, of course to be use only on few occasions...

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Hi, thanks for the reply. If you think about stiching images, not really. I have a Samyang 7,5mm f3,5 that I use for my Olympus Pen-F 4/3 and I get on a seldom basis, great shoots. It is normal focus of course but quite good sharpness less and very cheap:)

Too much wider lenses to me are not too interested because the distortion. True. But stiching images can be also a bit a pain. Honestly, a 10mm lens for my R lens was probably going to be a great addition, of course to be use only on few occasions...
I see Canon has an EF lens: 14mm f/2.8L II for "only" $2,100 US. This may be too much, not wide enough, or not acceptable as a non-R lens. But others may know of non-Canon lenses to mention to you, since I'm not knowledgeable there.

I have found a great joy in stitching pictures with PTGui and my "little" EM1mark2. Sometimes I combine as few as 3 handheld pictures, sometimes close to 200 via rotators & tripod. I know it's not for you, but I just wanted to mention it. I hope you find the right lens for you.

Upvote 0