Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

All cameras ARE very well usable out of the box. But what you call "I want camera out of the box to be usable." is a restriction that might fit you but not others. Customization of buttons is a huge advantage for all!

If there are dedicated buttons for all options like on 5D and then i can customize, I could not agree more. But here we have bare minimum buttons that we need to delegate customizations or ... put back ones that were default on all cameras with price of loosing other also important ones. I dont consider that progress or advantageous.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
+++ I would say the 40*20 FPS is more about throughput than just read out speed.
Nope... In order to throughout, sensor readout has to be completed first :)
For the record: I do not suggest that R5 will be a rolling shutter free camera,
Not sure what you are disagreeing with.

There is a time that's required to get the value from each pixel off the pixels. This time determines how noticeable the rolling shutter is. The A9 sets the record for consumer ILC in this regard with a value of ~ 1/160 s. The 1DX III according to the reports I've seen is closer to the more typical 1/60 s. If the R5 somehow gets closer to the A9 than the 1DX III in this, Canon withheld some major improvements from the 1DX III.

Throughput is not independent of this read speed, but there's more that goes into it. It may take the A9 II ~ 1/160 s to capture an image, but that doesn't mean it could take 160 FPS. The throughput is determined by the time of the additional steps to transport the data within the imaging pipeline and the actual processing times for the image and routines like AF, metering, tracking and so on.

So througput has an upper bound caused by the read speed. But they aren't the same.

I guess you're implying I'm using I'll suited words to describe these concepts. I use them because that's what makes sense to me and what I see them called commonly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
It makes me so sad that Canon has gone this route and made bodies that lack basic settings out of the box.

For * sake .. where is the ISO button? I dont care about you can customize buttons ... bla bla bla. I want camera out of the box to be usable. Not spend hours to setup new camera and then when something happens and my settings are erased or have to use someone else`s camera on event i cant make head or tails of it. Also lens dial for ISO is ... dangerous at best since it can be easily moved and change ISO. Some things should be there on all cameras mainly because its industry standard on all cameras. Familiarity to product. This feels like using a joystick to drive a car. It can be done, but there is a reason only one car tried it and failed.

From what I see its R with new sensor minus "useless" bar + joystick. No real improvement in terms of form factor and usability which is a shame.

Im not talking other features because its not released yet. Im just talking about what i see on these images.
Not «easily changed», you can choose if you want it active just by turning the ring, or if you need to half press.

Upvote 0
Not «easily changed», you can choose if you want it active just by turning the ring, or if you need to half press.

So that means i can half press and someone can bump into me and change my ISO ... or i change it by accident .. since ring on lens has almost no resistance ... its cool for some things, just not ISO and yes ... thats my view.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
So that means i can half press and someone can bump into me and change my ISO ... or i change it by accident .. since ring on lens has almost no resistance ... its cool for some things, just not ISO and yes ... thats my view.
When do you need to change it so fast and not use limited auto iso range, and the M.fn button and scroll isn’t fast enough? You can also use it as a touch function on screen. For me, no issue, but we’re all different. I thought it was a major fault that I couldn’t zoom directly into the focusing point used by pressing the magnifier. Took me 1 day to start to use double touch on screen instead. Now it’s fixed so it goes directly to the AF point, but it really isn’t impossible to completely change they way we do things without it being a crisis.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2020
Yeah I don’t know haha. Just looks like the joystick has some kind of sensor on it and I want it to be for touch and drag af but that is probably ridiculous considering they put that onto the af-on button for the 1dxiii. Wishful thinking haha.
Wouldnt it make more sense to have it on the joystick ? Having it on the AF-ON button seems like it would inadvertently move your AF point during back button focus.

Upvote 0
When do you need to change it so fast and not use limited auto iso range, and the M.fn button and scroll isn’t fast enough? You can also use it as a touch function on screen. For me, no issue, but we’re all different. I thought it was a major fault that I couldn’t zoom directly into the focusing point used by pressing the magnifier. Took me 1 day to start to use double touch on screen instead. Now it’s fixed so it goes directly to the AF point, but it really isn’t impossible to completely change they way we do things without it being a crisis.

Never said it was a crysis, but now that You mention it :) Its just change that Im sure more then just a few dont like and dont welcome. Forcing users used to certain product to change suddenly and not given a choice can and will alienate said users. Canon always had imaculate ergonomics and usability factor that is now ruined. I hope albeit not very strongly that by the time im up for upgrade there will be true 5D form factor mirrorless camera equivalent.

Upvote 0
You have the record button. You click it it starts recording.You click the shutter it stars shooting pictures.

True. But on DSLR my video settings are different from photo settings. On EOS R it only allowed the same settings as photo mode to be used in video where as on DSLR my shutter, ISO and Profile can all be different.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
True. But on DSLR my video settings are different from photo settings. On EOS R it only allowed the same settings as photo mode to be used in video where as on DSLR my shutter, ISO and Profile can all be different.

Doesn't it use the settings saved in "C3" exposure mode? (User configurable custom mode 3). I think it only uses your current photo settings if you have not saved anything to "C3".

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Just set the lock on it. It’s super fast. I have huge hands and I still need to consciously reach for the ring. Even when it’s on the adapter with EF lenses. It’s just different. Not worse.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Doesn't it use the settings saved in "C3" exposure mode? (User configurable custom mode 3). I think it only uses your current photo settings if you have not saved anything to "C3".
You’re correct. He hasn’t figured out how to get into video mode yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
Never said it was a crysis, but now that You mention it :) Its just change that Im sure more then just a few dont like and dont welcome. Forcing users used to certain product to change suddenly and not given a choice can and will alienate said users. Canon always had imaculate ergonomics and usability factor that is now ruined. I hope albeit not very strongly that by the time im up for upgrade there will be true 5D form factor mirrorless camera equivalent.
Boohoo! Cry me a river...

• Haha
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020

" ... that by the time im up for upgrade there will be true 5D form factor mirrorless camera equivalent."

Wake up and embrace future ...

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It makes me so sad that Canon has gone this route and made bodies that lack basic settings out of the box.

For * sake .. where is the ISO button? I dont care about you can customize buttons ... bla bla bla. I want camera out of the box to be usable. Not spend hours to setup new camera and then when something happens and my settings are erased or have to use someone else`s camera on event i cant make head or tails of it. Also lens dial for ISO is ... dangerous at best since it can be easily moved and change ISO. Some things should be there on all cameras mainly because its industry standard on all cameras. Familiarity to product. This feels like using a joystick to drive a car. It can be done, but there is a reason only one car tried it and failed.

From what I see its R with new sensor minus "useless" bar + joystick. No real improvement in terms of form factor and usability which is a shame.

Im not talking other features because its not released yet. Im just talking about what i see on these images.
This is the craziest post I have read in a long freaking time. You are candidate of the year for the RTFM award.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
" ... that by the time im up for upgrade there will be true 5D form factor mirrorless camera equivalent."

Wake up and embrace future ...

Problem is so many car enthusiast prefer petrol/diesel powered cars now days that its actually hampering electrification. Which means people are deciding with their wallets. Manufacturers can make something in hopes that it will be accepted but at the end, i prefer not to pay for these "features". But then again in 10 years camera industry will be gone because of onslaught of mobile phones. Whos to say that in future camera manufacturers will not go back to its roots just to make more of distinction aka RETRO compared to said mobile phones?

Upvote 0
Your reading comprehension is having issues with tense when used in a chronological manner.

Do You maybe suffer from condition "Have to have last word"? Since its nothing pertaining unreleased Canon R5 ill ignore You from now on and talk to people with actual opinions and point of view no matter how different from mine.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Do You maybe suffer from condition "Have to have last word"? Since its nothing pertaining unreleased Canon R5 ill ignore You from now on and talk to people with actual opinions and point of view no matter how different from mine.
No, not at all. I just didn't think you understood this gist of my initial comment. It was both humor and biting criticism of your ask of Canon. I see you're angry, it happens.

Upvote 0