Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Yeah, basically, on the R, you set up C3 in video mode with your typical video settings, and when you're in photo mode but want to take a quick video, you simply press the red button and you start recording using your C3 settings. Going into video mode entails pressing your mode dial button and then pressing the info button to change to video mode. There you can set specific video preferences and change your custom video modes, etc. It's really convenient.

That said, I never shoot video, so I remapped the red button to AF modes while in photo mode. If I do need to go into video mode, I don't mind going into video mode first.

It sounds way more complicated than it actually is. It's just a matter of learning the system and getting used to it.
Thank you. I trust that Canon does not bother users with too complicated hardware and software ergonomics. Wouldn't fit to their philosophy which I appreciate much. In fact, one of the reasons why I switched from Nikon to Canon when I went digital, many years ago, was that I felt quickly familiar with Canon's DSLRs when I tried them in a shop, Nikon's DSLRs not.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Problem is so many car enthusiast prefer petrol/diesel powered cars now days that its actually hampering electrification. Which means people are deciding with their wallets. Manufacturers can make something in hopes that it will be accepted but at the end, i prefer not to pay for these "features". But then again in 10 years camera industry will be gone because of onslaught of mobile phones. Whos to say that in future camera manufacturers will not go back to its roots just to make more of distinction aka RETRO compared to said mobile phones?

There IS lots of distinction to mobile phones with the most prominent being the image sensor that is 35 times larger in area with all advantages w.r.t SNR etc!

Just making it bulkier for no reason is not meaningful. Form should follow function! And fact is that when mirrorboxes dont exist any more and flange distances are smaller -> smaller form factor is possible.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Thank you. I trust that Canon does not bother users with too complicated hardware and software ergonomics. Wouldn't fit to their philosophy which I appreciate much. In fact, one of the reasons why I switched from Nikon to Canon when I went digital, many years ago, was that I felt quickly familiar with Canon's DSLRs when I tried them in a shop, Nikon's DSLRs not.

It's actually even simpler - Tap the mode button, then tap the 'info' button. You're in video mode now, and every one of the modes (including c1-3) is now as a video mode. Do it again to switch back to stills mode.

I don't take video often, so this lets me remap that video button; plus I imagine it's probably more useful to those who actually want the camera to deal with video primarily.

Upvote 0
There IS lots of distinction to mobile phones with the most prominent being the image sensor that is 35 times larger in area with all advantages w.r.t SNR etc!

Just making it bulkier for no reason is not meaningful. Form should follow function! And fact is that when mirrorboxes dont exist any more and flange distances are smaller -> smaller form factor is possible.

I agree, but in 10 years even mirrorless cameras we now covet so will be smaller and smaller to fit that form/function that most people on planet want. So in 10 or bit more years lenses and sensor sizes are not going to mean much because with computational photography that mobile phone makers are advancing ... much much smaller sensor with much much smaller lens will be able to create photos that are good enough. I agree not same thing as physics/sensor size/lens size for said sensor size, but with enough time mobile phones and computational photography will push cameras we use today completelyout of the picture. Now .. I would like to push to keep some of the features that made pro cameras what they are. PRO usability. With rise of touch screen mentality all muscle memory speedy access will be lost. Canon did a study while back about how many clicks should user make at most to access a certain function on camera. Their result was 1+1 at most. With R and what i see here on R5 that is being rised from 1+1 to 2 or sometimes 3+2 to access some function that is not customized or cant be due to lack of physical buttons. Now I for one will not be moving my eye from eyefinder just so i can look on screen of camera and be able to find function i was looking for. It not progress if its not quicker. Sure R users will tell me they can do it as quickly as I can but when I show them what i need to do quickly while not moving my eye from eye finder ... its oh you can customize that to 2 buttons, but need to press mode and quickly access that and then change ... Its something i can do in 1 second or less with buttons i have on 5D body. Also ... i dont always use those things ... i sometimes go backstage and need something different altogether ... which creates problem ... since not enough buttons on camera to customize that much. If at least camera had presets you can record ... where certain buttons do certain things when those presets are selected ... but so far ... R doesnt do that. So we go back to ... muscle memory vs limited customization due to limited number of buttons. And my final grief ... when for some reason my camera dies and i have to borrow one from a colegue sitting next to me (happened to me few times and to people next to me as well and we all share in those kind of situations because we are comrades, with R i would rather not use it then have it and use it because buttons are customized to his preferences and its infuriating not to be able to use camera. In all honestly i would rather use 600D then EOS R in those types of situations. And yes ... happened to me twice that i had to use EOS R on a job due to issues.

Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
@mihazero If you are not happy with the R5 or other future Canon mirrorless cameras, I think it will be time for you to switch to Nikon or Sony then.

In the meantime, please also enjoy this video:
and all the youtube comments in it. :)

PS: I'm super happy to see the wheel on the back as it will make going back through pictures way easier. I really missed that one on the R.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
The video is about the 1DX III. But, last I checked, RF lenses do not mount to DSLRs.

Potential R5 in the wild? Check out 10:26...

I am not sure I could tell the difference between an R and R5 given what is shown....
What makes you think it's not just an R? I couldn't really make out much detail.

Upvote 0
The video is about the 1DX III. But, last I checked, RF lenses do not mount to DSLRs.

Potential R5 in the wild? Check out 10:26...

I am not sure I could tell the difference between an R and R5 given what is shown....
Never mind the cameras - I want one of those swivel chairs with the trip/gimbal attachment contraption - where can we get those?? :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
What makes you think it's not just an R? I couldn't really make out much detail.
I am more wondering if someone on the forum can spot something definitive.
But the focus of the video is wildlife photography with the 1Dx3. The guy shooting is with Canon. And why whip out an R when you have a couple of 1Dx3s nearby? Why even bring the R on the boat? If you wanted f/2.8, he could have brought an EF version.
Not a big deal, but it got my attention and thought I’d share.

Upvote 0
true, its an outstanding feature, but I think its a pretty specific need and not that important in like 95% of photographers daily work (unless you do highend studio/fashion shootings)
Actually in studio shutter speed isn’t as important, at least not for portraiture. Where flash sync at any shutter speed is useful is outdoors or a daylight interior shot mixing ambient with flash. One example where a lot of photographers would use this is weddings and event photography. Editorial portraiture and location fashion are others.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Never mind the cameras - I want one of those swivel chairs with the trip/gimbal attachment contraption - where can we get those?? :cool:
Yeah--they're pretty neat. Pangolin Photography Cruise boats on the Chobe river. I'm going to be on one in Sept for a few days after shooting the Carmine bee eaters in the Caprivi Strip. A fellow photographer went on one last year and gave them rave reviews.
Catherine

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
It's pretty ironic having an argument about one button, when what's really needed is a camera with a radical redesign, and it's something we'll have to adapt to. Isn't it kinda weird that mirrorless cameras look like SLRs? The only reason they have that shape is because of the mirror. The only reason they're "ergonomic" is because that's what people are used to. I don't mind having a camera that matches what I'm used to, but the camera industry doesn't need to worry about appealing to me.

The industry is getting clobbered and needs a bridge between mobile phones and "real cameras". Lots of people who take pictures with their smartphone are interested in doing more with their photography, but existing ILCs are too foreign and the interface is insanely dated. In a lot of markets, many people only have a smartphone; they don't have a laptop, and sure as hell don't have a workstation.

Basically, exactly what Tony & Chelsea Northrup proposed. I'd love that for a travel camera.

Could you imagine Pokemon Go, but instead of catching AR Pokemon, you photograph real birds? A "bokeh badge" achievement for taking 50 photos with a fast prime? Achievements for shooting in manual? Posting to Instagram straight from your large sensor? You could make it all retro-hipster looking with lots dials and stuff. Custom Minecraft cases!

Upvote 0
Yeah--they're pretty neat. Pangolin Photography Cruise boats on the Chobe river. I'm going to be on one in Sept for a few days after shooting the Carmine bee eaters in the Caprivi Strip. A fellow photographer went on one last year and gave them rave reviews.
Catherine
Catherine,
That sounds fantastic - have a great time, and remember to report back on the chairs! ;)

Carmine bee-eaters are great - I've been lucky enough to shoot them a few times in Luangwa Valley NP (Zambia) - be warned, they move very fast!

Cheers. Stoical.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0