5Ghz wifi capabilities confirmed for the Canon EOS R5

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
If it is as rumoured, I will replace a GFX50s with one- assuming I can sell the one and afford the other.

I thought the GFX50 had a physically larger, Medium Format sensor....which would be different than this R5 FF sensor....differnt applications, no?

Please correct me if I"m wrong....

Myself am lusting after the R5, BUT...if I had the scratch...I'd like the GFX100 maybe to break into the MF digital world a bit.....beast of a camera!!

Anyway...

cayenne

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I thought the GFX50 had a physically larger, Medium Format sensor....which would be different than this R5 FF sensor....differnt applications, no?

Please correct me if I"m wrong....

It does, but it shouldn't really matter to most people. The GFX50 sensor is 44x33mm, not very large as far as medium format goes, and only ~1.7x the surface area of an FF sensor. That's 2/3 stops of difference. Certainly nothing earth-shattering. Plus of course the lenses are expensive and there are very few of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
OVF vs Live View toggle is of course unnecessary, but I'm talking about the switch that toggles between stills and video mode in Canon DSLRs.
DSLR captures video in a live view mode - mirror is up, focusing on the sensor. therefore there is no necessity for a dedicated switch that toggles between stills and video mode.
mirrorless cameras operate in live view mode for stills or video regardless. therefore, video recording can be initiated by a "start recording" button even in stills mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
So far Canon hasnt mentioned built in GPS(which is a good thing given that GPS can be a battery hog) for this camera.

I'm afraid there won't be. But why is it a good thing? I mean you can always turn it off?

I have never felt the GPS on Powershot S100 or EOS 7D II was battery hogs. But having smartphone connected and using it as GPS, definetely is a battery hog for the smartphone. Besides that, the smartphone solution works really bad and unreliable in practice. With my new G5 X II, I'm back to use external GPS device and sync geocoordinates into photos on the PC in postprocessing. It feels like stepping 6-9 years back to before I purchased the S100 and 7D II. But it is better than using the app.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
therefore, video recording can be initiated by a "start recording" button even in stills mode.

It can, and that's why there's the "quick record" button, but video mode is not just about flipping up the mirror. The camera UI is modal. Available menu items change, exposure settings are recalled separately and so on. According to the manual, the R can be switched to movie mode by pressing the MODE button then the INFO button. If recording is started in stills mode using the record button, C3 mode setting are used. But most of the time you very likely don't want to just start recording without checking your settings first. Recent Canon cameras also store C settings separately for stills and video mode, btw.

Anyway, my point was that the rumor about the switch doesn't seem to be accurate even though it's unbolded which should mean "confirmed".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
So many things happening at the moment. Just to add & spice things up, it's interesting that Most retailers are offering at least 10% off RF lenses and then canon are offering a further reward up to £300 when a listed lens or camera is purchased within 90 days of each other. By my rough calculation, that 90 days would take us up to the middle of July, bang on when the R5 is supposed to ship? It's probably total coincidence as the retailer discounts end 21/04 and billed as an Easter offer...... Or, is it an incentive to buy existing cameras as a build up to the R5 being launched????

The RF 70-200MM F2.8L is on many sites as reduced from £2699 down to £2249, thats got to be a decent buy.

Upvote 0