Show your Bird Portraits

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Being largely confined to the garden, I am finding more and more birds in it. Not so much a background for great photos but an opportunity to catalogue them. This morning a female Great Spotted Woodpecker, high up a tree.I took about a 100 shots between the branches and twigs and got only one or two clean shots.
View attachment 189637
I think many of us could say the same thing. Many shots, a few keepers. My shutter would be happier if that wasn't the case.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I think many of us could say the same thing. Many shots, a few keepers. My shutter would be happier if that wasn't the case.
It's you, not the shutter - the shutter doesn't make difference between # of shots and # of keepers:)!
On the other hand Alan can rediscover his own garden - no matter of the # of keepers (I'm not restricted to the garden but I'm still jealous for his "garden" shots - nice shots are nice shots no matter where you take them!)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It's you, not the shutter - the shutter doesn't make difference between # of shots and # of keepers:)!
On the other hand Alan can rediscover his own garden - no matter of the # of keepers (I'm not restricted to the garden but I'm still jealous for his "garden" shots - nice shots are nice shots no matter where you take them!)
Unless it's spray and pray.;)

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think the Greenfinches have come to stay. One was on my bird feeder eating nyja seeds this afternoon. So, I dismantled and disinfected the feeder as Greenfinches have been decimated by disease, before refilling. Then this handsome male started serenading at the top of a tall tree but I was able to grab the 5DSR + 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC and rush up to our third storey and be not too far below him. A much better shot than the previous.

3Q7A2534-DxO_greenfinch_vg_dem.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I think the Greenfinches have come to stay. One was on my bird feeder eating nyja seeds this afternoon. So, I dismantled and disinfected the feeder as Greenfinches have been decimated by disease, before refilling. Then this handsome male started serenading at the top of a tall tree but I was able to grab the 5DSR + 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC and rush up to our third storey and be not too far below him. A much better shot than the previous.

View attachment 189666
Do you know what kind of disease? I was surprised when last summer I didn't see single one in my Europe trip!

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013

View attachment 189666
It was definitely worth rushing up the stairs for.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Checking his six on a foggy morning... Hope everyone is staying safe. Canon EOS R with 600III. 1/800, f/5 @ iso 2000. RAW converted in DPP resized and sharpened in PS. Thanks for looking. View attachment 189708
In my childhood Birds of Alberta book was a photo of this bird and it was my dream to see one in real life but I never have. They are here but not common and I think rare where I actually live.

Great shot.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have reworked a Hobby catching, flying with and eating dragonflies from this time last year taken with the 5DSR and 400mm DO II. Not the best, but bring memories of a great day of watching and shooting. I switched from DxO PL to Noise Ninja and Topaz AI sharpening to render these.

Hobby_clutching_dragonfly_3Q7A1743NN.jpgHobby_clutching_dragonfly_3Q7A1734NN.jpgHobby_clutching_dragonfly3Q7A1735NN.jpgHobby_Feeding_on_Dragonfly_3Q7A1814NN_.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0