Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Hands. Face. Space.
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I downloaded Topaz AI Sharpen. It doesn't do anything for my sharp shots but it does do a good job on some less sharp shots. I reworked 3 from this time last year, from my favourite location which I cannot visit and I really miss watching the kingfishers.

2B4A7742-DxO_kingfishers_hover.jpg
2B4A7741-DxO_kingfishers_.jpg
2B4A7684-DxO_kingfishers.jpg
the

AlanF

Hands. Face. Space.
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have reworked a Hobby catching, flying with and eating dragonflies from this time last year taken with the 5DSR and 400mm DO II. Not the best, but bring memories of a great day of watching and shooting. I switched from DxO PL to Noise Ninja and Topaz AI sharpening to render these.

Hobby_clutching_dragonfly_3Q7A1743NN.jpg
Hobby_clutching_dragonfly_3Q7A1734NN.jpg
Hobby_clutching_dragonfly3Q7A1735NN.jpg
Hobby_Feeding_on_Dragonfly_3Q7A1814NN_.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I still have the freedom to go to remote places (few people here and there). Oahu Amakihi (Hemignathus flavus)- male! Tomorrow again: this morning I didn't have enough time to get something better but it's common case with the Amakihi: they are mixed with bunch of Japanese White-eyes (very hard to separate in bad light) and you finish with plenty of photos of the Japanese and just few of the endemics.

DSC_1129_DxO.jpg
DSC_1130_DxO.jpg

AlanF

Hands. Face. Space.
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice! Are your new programs compatible with PL3?
You can use Topaz AI sharpener with other RAW converters. I find the PL3 Lens Sharpness tool problematic with some camera-lens combinations. In particular, it can introduce terrible noise with the 90D and I turn it off. It also oversharpens with the 5DSR and I use a low setting when it gets unnatural. The PL3 lens sharpness tool has hardly any effect on the Nikon D500 + 500 PF, but they are so sharp they don’t need sharpening unless focus is not spot on. I sometimes use PhotoNinja instead of PL3 as a RAW converter as it handles highlightS very well, suppresses noise very well but is not as sharp although more “gentle”. For speed and ease of review and making comparisons for selection, I prefer to stick with PL3 and use alternatives only when I have to. My initial thoughts after only limited attempts is that these sharpening tools are most useful for sensors that have AA-filters or softish lenses, which seems pretty obvious. But, the Topaz did rescue an image of a BIF spoiled by movement, which I will post later. I checked its performance on sharpening lines on resolution charts. As expected, it works by enhancing acutance and increasing contrast, which does bring out apparent detail that has been obscured by blurring but may still be there. This can lead to artefacts, which I have seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raptors and tron