Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Man, if they strip the video specs out of this and call it an R6 I could be all in on that. I know the R6 has other changes as well. But I don't think I'll be able to afford this R5 until its been on the used market for a while.

Although, on price it would be an interesting move by canon to keep it at the $3500 mark and suck everyone over to the RF mount.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
This is looking to be an amazing advance in technology that will overshadow many other companies products, Sony, Nikon etc. I was hoping to stretch things and sell my EOS R for this but it looks more and more likely it will be out of my price range if above the expected 5D MKIV £3500 / £3699 mark which it's likely to be. :(

May have to look at the R6 but not sure I like dropping to 20mp??

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I can't get enough of what Canon is doing here. Folks literally cannot believe that Canon can create this camera, and the influencer cohort keeps bending over backwards to find caveats which canon then has to address.

Canon: 8K!
Youtube: There'll be a Crop! It's time-lapse!
Canon: No really, it's 8K video full width!
Youtube: It'll be MJPEG! No Autofocus! Canon will nerf it!
Canon: No, really. 8K Raw internal to CFe

Same thing with IBIS:
Canon: It'll be stabilized!
Youtube: Might be electronic!
Canon: No really, we have a novel scheme for IBIS
Youtube: Canon marketing again! It's going to be electronic!!
Canon: Seriously shut up.

I CANNOT WAIT to see what the YT contingent comes up with after this drop. Gonna go get some popcorn ready right now.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
HOLY CRAP THEY STILL WON'T ANNOUNCE THE SENSOR RESOLUTION

Canon pushed this out on Twitter 5 minutes ago:

Do a search for 'pixel' or case-sensitive MP. All you will get are DPAF hits.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

martin_p_a

EOS RP
CR Pro
Jul 30, 2019
Montreal
My only concern is on the video side. I haven't done any work using HEVC/H.265. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only camera in recent memory I can recall using the codec was the Samsung NX1. How does this codec compare compared to MotionJPEG of the 5D4? Will it require transcoding to ProRes or DnX or the use of proxies for efficient video editing? Can most computers handle it well?

Depends if you have hardware decoding of H.265. As a video editor, unless time is an issue, I’d always rather work with proxies anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
But not in relation to the R5!!
He was mentioning how the 5D2 (I think?) launched around that price

someone said a few posts up about the IBIS in the camera, he also said in the live stream it was an electronic system in the R5

Quick edit: This camera is an instant buy at this stage for me, I really hope they put one hell of a battery in it to feed all these specs!

Upvote 0
He was mentioning how the 5D2 (I think?) launched around that price

someone said a few posts up about the IBIS in the camera, he also said in the live stream it was an electronic system in the R5

5D2 launched at $2700. I specifically heard $4,000 too as he was going through the history of groundbreaking EOS releases and thought it was odd he called out that price point. As if it was an Easter egg on the R5 price :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is all spectacular of course, but I find it most interesting that the sensor resolution specs are still not included. I worked for Canon so I know better than most that practicality is a big consideration for Canon. They are likely testing different sensors and processors to see what works best. My guess is that they’re going to have an 8K sensor or an 8K DCI sensor which equals about 33 or 35 megapixels. An 8K sensor means less processing and easier to achieve all the spectacular specs. Everyone should remember that the 5 series cameras are the Swiss Army knives. It is not supposed to be the high-resolution camera, it’s supposed to be a bit of everything.

Upvote 0