Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I wonder how much money it would save if they split the line. One camera without video capability and one with. With all the Canon DSLR’s I have owned, I have never once taken a video. I would love to save some money and buy a R5 without the video capabilities. I guess that will never happen. R&D probably costs the bulk, and they would use me to pay for that even though I don’t use it. Still, would be nice.
Devoting a camera to still photography.... Dream on... They only build such a thing in Heaven

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
...the 1DX III rental price of $347/week is 5.34% of the asking price, which would put the R5 at $5,075.

Based on this, how about $4,999 initial price?
Was that rhetorical, or are you asking my permission? If the latter, OK, set the price wherever you want. But don’t be surprised if Canon’s price differs from yours. :)

Upvote 0
If the IBIS works cooperatively with IS in EF lenses, then the coming M cameras with IBIS should do the same. Very nice. I take an R5 and an M5 II/M1 please.

That would be fantastic. I can't see it happening though. I think with EF glass, you'll need to choose either IBIS or IS. RF glass will do a combo.
Canon please prove me wrong! :D

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Okay, I was fairly sure that 8K30 recording to h.265 would be infeasible given thermal constraints. But somehow they've managed to do that. The engineers responsible for this camera definitely deserve huge bonuses.
They already received them: they sold all their Sony stock right before the R5 announcement...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Feels like a dream. It is amazing to see finally the giant wake up. "Canon revolutionized the video industry with the introduction of the EOS 5D Mark II which provided solutions for what was previously seen as improbable" That is from Canon's page. Canon revolutionized the DSLR world with 5D2 and went on a hibernation for almost a decade. Hope they do not hibernate for another decade now :D

• Haha
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I see lots of wild price speculation...4,5 even 6K USD.

Fact is, especially with what's going on in the world, very few people can or will pay crazy dollars for this camera and it's attendant pricey RF glass anytime soon. Some can, some will, but most can't or won't.

Canon, like many businesses now, is in the hurt bag. They will want to sell these things and the RF lenses that are sitting around right now in as great as numbers as fast as they can. It will not make them any money at all sitting in warehouses.

So I think it will priced close to 5D level, or else all the wedding, graduation and other rank and file pros out there who actually make a living with these things will simply not be able to buy into the RF system any time soon.

Having said that, I am so glad to see they are making the camera so many of us have been waiting for.

As long as they keep it priced competitively and in line with what most users will pay, they will have a home run on their hands for sure.

Upvote 0
I suppose, in the future, we'll have to miss all these funny "Canon's cripple hammer" features on Youtube.
Let's shed crocodile tears for all the unemployed trolls, I'll regret them...
What if we all bought some Sonies to save the company from bankrupcy ?
I will miss the cripple hammer videos. They were funny as well as very accurate.

• Haha
Upvote 0
For the no budget filmmaker looking at Canon cameras, I think it really takes the gloss off of the C500MKII as the camera to own. But the R5 isn't really competing in the market the C500 is targeting. The lack of XLR, timecode, dual slot recording, button controls, SDI, etc. are all things that make it unfeasible for a person who might actually be considering a C500. Or a C300.

That's exactly the crowd I was thinking about when making the comment. For example, Youtuber Matti Haapoja was promoting just 2 months ago that he took out a huge loan to get his C500, and I have to think that there are many other people out there watching his videos with similar aspirations--and without the professional requirements--that would be happy to "settle" for an R5.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Canon Says IBIS will work with EF lenses as well.
Canon’s first camera to incorporate 5-axis IBIS (In-Body Image Stabilization), the EOS R5 will not only enhance the ability to shoot still images at slower shutter speeds but it will also help reduce camera shake when shooting movies. Additionally, the EOS R5’s IBIS will work in combination with Optical Image Stabilization found in many Canon RF and EF lenses.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I see lots of wild price speculation...4,5 even 6K USD.

Fact is, especially with what's going on in the world, very few people can or will pay crazy dollars for this camera and it's attendant pricey RF glass anytime soon. Some can, some will, but most can't or won't.

Canon, like many businesses now, is in the hurt bag. They will want to sell these things and the RF lenses that are sitting around right now in as great as numbers as fast as they can. It will not make them any money at all sitting in warehouses.

So I think it will priced close to 5D level, or else all the wedding, graduation and other rank and file pros out there who actually make a living with these things will simply not be able to buy into the RF system any time soon.

Having said that, I am so glad to see they are making the camera so many of us have been waiting for.

As long as they keep it priced competitively and in line with what most users will pay, they will have a home run on their hands for sure.

I'm one of the people that quoted 6K for this body and Canon has given me no reason to think otherwise. Look at the price of RF glass, it's in no way priced competitively. This wouldn't be the first time Canon priced itself out of the market and I don't believe this will be any different. I would love to be wrong but considering the very capable bodies and glass out there, I've already written off this body. If anything I'll pick one up in 2 years once it's average tech, my customers and most everyone's customers would not be able to tell the difference between the images from a 5DII and this new super duper body once they get their prints. My best, highest paying clients can't tell the difference between my 5DIII & Fuji files once I deliver the prints. I'll wait to pick one up slightly used at 60% of MSRP or less if I decide to buy this at all....

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I wonder how much money it would save if they split the line. One camera without video capability and one with. With all the Canon DSLR’s I have owned, I have never once taken a video. I would love to save some money and buy a R5 without the video capabilities. I guess that will never happen. R&D probably costs the bulk, and they would use me to pay for that even though I don’t use it. Still, would be nice.

They will do it: The rumored high-res R5 (R5S or whatever it will be called). That will be all about portrait/landscape etc photography. FPS will be 10 or less and certainly no 8k video without crop.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm one of the people that quoted 6K for this body and Canon has given me no reason to think otherwise. Look at the price of RF glass, it's in no way priced competitively. This wouldn't be the first time Canon priced itself out of the market and I don't believe this will be any different. I would love to be wrong but considering the very capable bodies and glass out there, I've already written off this body. If anything I'll pick one up in 2 years once it's average tech, my customers and most everyone's customers would not be able to tell the difference between the images from a 5DII and this new super duper body once they get their prints. My best, highest paying clients can't tell the difference between my 5DIII & Fuji files once I deliver the prints. I'll wait to pick one up slightly used at 60% of MSRP or less if I decide to buy this at all....
Could you tell why an RF 85mm f/1.2 (with BR element) should be priced the same as an EF 85mm f/1.4? Or how much the EF 24-70 2.8 L II, a fairly popular lens cost on its release? Yep, almost the same as today's far superior RF equivalent with IS added in as well.
Cheaper glass is coming, current ones will gradually drop in as time goes as development costs get absorbed, stocks fill up, etc. etc.

Upvote 0