Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

The video capabilities don't impress me simply because I don't do serious video. However, it will sell cameras. The Olympics was planned to be broadcast in 8K, so all the manufacturers are getting on the bandwagon. I expect that the current slow camera market caused Canon's sales department to ask for speciications that would meet what they expect from competitors. They all pretty much know where the industry is going. Obviously, there is finally some new technology going into sensor manufacturing. Will it improve high ISO low light noise? I'd expect a incremental improvement, they need to portion improvements out over time, its just how things work.

8K is not a huge improvement in resolution, resolution does not double. Whether people can see it, or even find 8K source material does not matter. Most TV sets are now 4K capable, they have a good picture, so I can't complain. As to editing 8K with my computer, I think it would be a pain, but the technology is there to make it happen.

So, I'm interested in what still improvements I'd see over my R and my 5D MK IV.
8k is actually 4 times the pixel resolution of 4k.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I stated what I believe are reasonable and unreasonable expectations and/or scenarios for this body. Learn to respect opinions that differ from your own. You've added nothing relevant to the conversation and provided zero counterpoints. I'm 55 and retiring this year, a full10 years early for not being a fool with my money, absolutely nothing bothers me. Cheers...
55 is YOUNG! Best wishes...

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
Editing 8k on any decent computer will not be difficult.
Most people use proxies anyway so it's a non issue for everyone except rank amateurs who know nothing. Besides, I am able to edit 4k without proxies on my computer which is running 32GB of memory and an AMD 3900X. If my proxies are 4k resolution I think I'll survive... LOL

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Loss leading has been a very successful marketing strategy for many companies for years, selling an item below cost can be a very good business tool.
Way to take things out of context.

I was responding to this comment: "I bet a "100% pure stills" EOS R model with 35-40MP, 8fps, excellent AF, state of the art EVF, great DR & High ISO, IBIS, dual SD UHS-II slots, only internal video feed for EVF, priced at 1999 would sell extremely well."

Do you really think Canon would make and sell a camera with those specs for under $2,000 as a loss leader? Perhaps you'd like to provide a list of full frame bodies that are sold as "loss leaders."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I wonder how much money it would save if they split the line. One camera without video capability and one with. With all the Canon DSLR’s I have owned, I have never once taken a video. I would love to save some money and buy a R5 without the video capabilities. I guess that will never happen. R&D probably costs the bulk, and they would use me to pay for that even though I don’t use it. Still, would be nice.
When will people realize that a photo only camera would not be cheaper. So few people would buy it that they would have to make up the low volume with higher prices. Us hybrid shooters are the ones buying enough volume to keep the prices low enough for everyone to benefit from the lower prices that the manufacturers can charge due to the higher volume of bodies sold.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
HOLY CRAP THEY STILL WON'T ANNOUNCE THE SENSOR RESOLUTION

Canon pushed this out on Twitter 5 minutes ago:

Do a search for 'pixel' or case-sensitive MP. All you will get are DPAF hits.

- A

There is this.

Upvote 0
Killer specs! If canon keep the price same as 5D4, I think it will sell like a hot cake and kill all the other competitor. The only thing that sony can do is lower the price of their current model to be more attractive in the shrinking market.

Glad I already invested in RF glasses. This R5 will match perfectly with my RF lenses

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Way to take things out of context.

I was responding to this comment: "I bet a "100% pure stills" EOS R model with 35-40MP, 8fps, excellent AF, state of the art EVF, great DR & High ISO, IBIS, dual SD UHS-II slots, only internal video feed for EVF, priced at 1999 would sell extremely well."

Do you really thing Canon would make and sell a camera with those specs for under $2,000 as a loss leader? Perhaps you'd like to provide a list of full frame bodies that are sold as "loss leaders."
No I do not, but I quoted your post in it's entirety and as it reads it is as false as the suggestion of an R5 lite. An R5 lite is not going to happen, ever, and selling things below cost does happen and can be good business.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
It's not a simple question of "better" Regardless of video, the R5 will outsell the Panny by orders of magnitude because of the massive Canon user base. This is still built to be a 5 series body, which means wedding professionals and portrait artists, wildelifers, landscapers, etc.... The Panny S1H has a single, much smaller user base. Video.

In other words, Canon is pricing this machine to fit into a WELL established price range like all the other 5 bodies in the last 10 years. Because they will sell boat loads more, they can amortize those fixed costs of R&D over a much much much larger sales volume compared to the S1H. Canon is out for blood folks.

They just made THE camera that I can easily argue will greatly satisfy both stills people AND video people. Why price it $4500-5000 and cut your sales by more than the increase in price would afford? They won't. They are looking to take out Sony and Nikon and end whatever chance Panasonic still had left. The money is in the GLASS. And Canon wants as many folks investing in the RF mount bodies in order to push the high margin lenses

People can dream all they want, mark my words this will not be less than $4k...by your logic the RF lenses should be the same prices as their EF equivalents. It's a new world with a shrinking market, inflation vs the Japanese yen, doing more with less, etc. I would be happy to eat crow when the price is finally announced but no logic so far counters simple economics. If you ignore all other factors and only look at currency exchange rates now vs when the 5D IV was released you will know there is no way this will be under $4K.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I would estimate 5000 for a workstation with Xeon Processor, Quadro RTX Graphics card, and lots of fast ssd storage. That's not counting the monitor. B&H currently has 1 model of 8K monitor and it's 3500. Not exactly priced for hobbyists.
It's not that bad, and actually if you use PP you do not want a Xeon processor (found that out the hard way). I have a Core I9 CPU, 64GB of RAM, NVME project storage, and an SSD drive for cache all bundled into an HP Z4, and an older 980 TI GPU, total build I think around $3500. I think Davinci Resolve will have no problems with this footage and if it does that's what proxy files are for. If you really can't afford to upgrade then use proxys on import and go do something else for a few hours while they are created.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
People can dream all they want, mark my words this will not be less than $4k...by your logic the RF lenses should be the same prices as their EF equivalents. It's a new world with a shrinking market, inflation vs the Japanese yen, doing more with less, etc. I would be happy to eat crow when the price is finally announced but no logic so far counters simple economics. If you ignore all other factors and only look at currency exchange rates now vs when the 5D IV was released you will know there is no way this will be under $4K.

I understand your thought process but Canon has indicated (in their Canon way) they are here to “Hulk Smash”. The most comparable spec camera recently released who is the top of the competition? Photo below. Check that price. The R5 will be below $4000. The first digit in the official USD pricing will be a “3”

Attachments

• D4D48307-0527-4248-951C-CDE202B51149.png
    D4D48307-0527-4248-951C-CDE202B51149.png
    751 KB · Views: 208
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I understand your thought process but Canon has indicated (in their Canon way) they are here to “Hulk Smash”. The most comparable spec camera recently released who is the top of the competition? Photo below. Check that price. The R5 will be below $4000. The first digit in the official USD pricing will be a “3”
I'm with you, and I hope you are right; but Canon also has been known not to care about competitors prices; aware yes...care no. I still think it will be $3999 on release, squeeze every penny they can from early adopters (especially if there is limited availability on release due to the pandemic) then slowly drop to $3500 over the next year or so.

Personally I'm still banking on the R6 being my first R body would love to get more info on it sometime soon.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Devoting a camera to still photography.... Dream on... They only build such a thing in Heaven
I think video is what helps push the tech in this camera. they had to provide a robust platform for video which only helps empower the stills side. The combined functionality let’s them address two types of customers with one SKU. IN THE LONG RUN, THIS IS PROBABLY MORE COST EFFECTIVE and let’s them deliver more tech at a lower price due to the higher potential volumes.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Most people use proxies anyway so it's a non issue for everyone except rank amateurs who know nothing. Besides, I am able to edit 4k without proxies on my computer which is running 32GB of memory and an AMD 3900X. If my proxies are 4k resolution I think I'll survive... LOL

My CPU is from 2014 (albeit higher end at the time), and I still edit 4k without proxies. Not great, but good enough. I have been thinking to upgrade to 3900X and 2070-Super to make it bit snappier.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I wonder if the 4k60p and 4k120p will have the same resolution, or there is more line skipping on the latter.
The 1DX III might be sharper in 4k60p FF mode, as it still uses all the pixels, although AF has to be disabled, where the R5 has it in all 4k modes and the 4k60p rolling shutter is probably better on the R5.
They probably need to re-think the sub-menu regarding video recording options, the list will be endless, they haven't mentioned a crop mode, which is likely to be available as well.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If it makes you money then by all means go for it. I have no problem with being on the cutting edge, I'm simply considering profit vs investment ratio. I'd love to see your work, I'm a fan of all good photography & video.
The thing is this: Professionals are not the lion's share that will support the market. They are a niche'. It is well heeled amateurs that support the market. There are far more of them, and for a number of them 8k will be meaningful. I notice you keep asking to see the work of others after they comment. Where is yours? Specifically, where are your videos? Where are your "feature films, whatever." You see, many do video and take photos purely for their own use and enjoyment. They don't need you to approve, disapprove, like, or decide whether or not they decide what they need. Canon obviously knows far more than you or I what the market needs, or will need, in the future. Personally, I like the fact that it appears Canon is getting ahead in the tech dept. That makes the camera a better "investment" and not requiring some to upgrade as soon as they would have. If you don't need it, fine. However, your deciding that others don't and then demanding to see their work so you can have a possible "gotcha" (in your own mind) is just plain rude. BTW: Nobody cares that you retire at 55 except you. That is completely meaningless to the conversation. Some people retire earlier than that (me) and others keep working into old age because they love what they do. Suggesting that people who buy this camera are fools with their money... *sigh* You should learn to respect that others have needs/wants that differ from your own. They don't have to justify that to you or anyone else.

Learn to respect opinions that differ from your own. You've added nothing relevant to the conversation and provided zero counterpoints. I'm 55 and retiring this year, a full10 years early for not being a fool with my money, absolutely nothing bothers me. Cheers...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0