Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
I'm genuinely curious...

For the people who are saying they're waiting for a higher MP camera than the R5, what do you need more resolution for? Seriously?

45 MP is WAY more than enough for almost anything. And if you really needed it you'd probably already be shooting on a Hasselblad.

What real world scenario do you need 90 when 45 won't work?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'm genuinely curious...

For the people who are saying they're waiting for a higher MP camera than the R5, what do you need more resolution for? Seriously?

45 MP is WAY more than enough for almost anything. And if you really needed it you'd probably already be shooting on a Hasselblad.

I haven't seen much of that attitude (except for our host); I've mostly seen "This has everything I want plus a bunch of video crap that I shouldn't have to pay for" plus unwarranted assumptions as to how much that video stuff adds to the cost of the camera.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm genuinely curious...

I'm one of those that would love to have 85? MP. When I get a really nice picture or panorama I like to print it really big (sometimes almost the size of a 4'x'8' sheet). But I can only do that so often before I run out of wall space. Sometimes I like to crop smaller areas and have a result that's still got a lot of resolution. I have been into multi-picture landscape panoramas but I'm considering just taking a single picture with a wide enough lens and a single 85 MP shot if sharp would be enough to do that instead. I'm not saying 45MP isn't enough, but 85 MP would be useful.

But I have decided that the R5 is worth my getting as soon as possible, so I'm not going to wait for the 85 MP one (so that *is* saying 45MP is enough for now). Maybe a year after that the 85 MP one will be out and I can consider getting one as a 2nd body to avoid swapping lenses as much as possible - we'll see!

It's a great time to be into photography, and thank you Canon for your stunning lenses and sticking with your fully articulating LCD screen!

Upvote 0
Video, Video, Video! All the hype about video tech in the R5.
Does this thing even take stills?

In case you're not being sarcastic (hard to tell on the internet):

• 45MP* New Generation Sensor
  • 12 FPS Mechanical Shutter, 20 FPS Electronic
  • Dual Pixel Auto Focus
  • Head, Face and Eye Detection, including Dogs, Cats and Birds
  • In-Body Image Stabilization up to 5 Stops
  • Combined IBIS and Lens Stabilization up to 8 Stops
  • IBIS and Combined Stabilization Supports RF AND EF Lenses
  • Articulating Touchscreen** for Low- and High-Angle shots, both Landscape and Portrait orientation
  • Joystick for selecting AF points
  • Dual Card Slots: CFExpress for fast buffer clearing; UHSII SD for backward compatibility
  • 5Ghz WiFi
  • Weather Sealed
  • Newer, Better Battery
The video hype is for three reasons:
  1. The incredible video specs effectively send a message that this is a serious body with serious data processing and throughput capabilities. It is a grand showcase of what the DiGIC X architecture and RF mount can accomplish.

2. Since NAB was cancelled, Canon is highlighting the video side of things for the video shooters out there that otherwise would have been keenly interested in it at NAB.

3. For many years, people have criticized Canon (who kicked off the hybrid photo/video DSLR phenomenon with the 5DII) for not keeping up in the industry. Canon is sending the message that they have heard that criticism and intend to regain dominance in the hybrid camera space.
This appears to be a magnificent stills camera that happens to also be breaking new ground for ILC camera video as well.

* Enough to provide great detail and cropable reach for the majority of needs while still allowing for smaller file sizes when using compressed RAW or crop modes. At full resolution you can crop almost in half (1.875x crop factor) and STILL have the resolution of the 7DII -- but with IS, shutter speed and animal eye detection AF that would leave the 7DII in the dust.

** Especially useful when using a tripod at heights that preclude the screen from being at natural eye level. My neck and shoulders are already thanking me!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm genuinely curious...

We do satellite imaging ourselves and even 100+ megapixels is too small!

The head office lab up here in Vancouver, Canada got so fed up with Dalsa, Sony, Canon, On, etc not being able to produce to our specifications, that they bought out an entire CPU/RAM production plant and brought CMOS, GaN and GaAs manufacturing in-house with some of the largest single slice silicon substrate manufacturing systems in the world (i.e. over 400mm per side!).

The LARGEST single-slice CMOS imager we have built yet is 128k by 128k pixels (131,072 by 131,072 pixels!) at 64 bits per RGBA/YCbCrA pixel depth (about 17.18 Gigapixels at about 3 microns per photosite) which is installed on a super-high-flyer aerospace-imaging-specific SSTO platform. Works Great and we even built a 128k by 128k resolution 16-bits per channel RGB colour laser projector system to see the images!

SO LOTS of people want really high resolution and even 100 megapixel IS NOT ENOUGH resolution for many tasks!

v

P.S.
AND for the kicker, we're doing RnD on 2 metre by 2 metre single silicon wafer production (2000mm by 2000mm with NO cracks, occlusions or other other imperfections -- Substrate is mounted to super-strong/super-stable with-same-thermal expansion rate ceramic base for support) so we can get 128k by 128k resolution at MUCH HIGHER dynamic range by having the photosites be a tad over 15 microns in size! That will be installed on MULTIPLE polar orbit and equatorial orbit ground-pointing AND deep space imaging satellites which we will be launching straight from OUR IN-HOUSE BUILT SSTO systems!

Now THAT is the coolest tech of all!

TRY AND BEAT THAT LMCO AND RAYTHEON !!!!!!

V

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

The head office lab up here in Vancouver, Canada got so fed up with Dalsa, Sony, Canon, On, etc not being able to produce to our specifications, that they bought out an entire CPU/RAM production plant and brought CMOS, GaN and GaAs manufacturing in-house with some of the largest single slice silicon substrate manufacturing systems in the world (i.e. over 400mm per side!).

The LARGEST single-slice CMOS imager we have built yet is 128k by 128k pixels (131,072 by 131,072 pixels!) at 64 bits per RGBA/YCbCrA pixel depth (about 17.18 Gigapixels at about 3 microns per photosite) which is installed on a super-high-flyer aerospace-imaging-specific SSTO platform. Works Great and we even built a 128k by 128k resolution 16-bits per channel RGB colour laser projector system to see the images!

SO LOTS of people want really high resolution and even 100 megapixel IS NOT ENOUGH resolution for many tasks!

v

P.S.
AND for the kicker, we're doing RnD on 2 metre by 2 metre single silicon wafer production (2000mm by 2000mm with NO cracks, occlusions or other other imperfections -- Substrate is mounted to super-string same thermal expansion rate ceramic base for support) so we can get 128k by 128k resolution at MUCH HIGHER dynamic range by having the photosites be a tad over 15 microns in size! That will be installed on MULTIPLE polar orbit and equatorial orbit ground-pointing AND deep space imaging satellites which we will be launching straight from OUR IN-HOUSE BUILT SSTO systems!

V
I see. Lots of people and many tasks require much higher resolution than 45 MP. That's certainly why you are describing such everyday imaging situations which even Bob from across the street might run into any time in his back yard. That's the moment when he wishes "O had I only a 128k x 128k imaging sensor in my camera, I would finally be able to make a decent image of my kids playing".

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
But can they make an R5 with a lower price and lower video specs without said body being firmware hacked to deliver full 8k? Personally I think it's dangerous and stupid for any manufacturer to distinguish based on firmware. It's almost guaranteed to be hacked. And I don't see Canon manufacturing a separate R5 sensor or DIGIC board.

Then again...yes Canon, please ship two R5's. One at a lower price point with all the same hardware but firmware limited video to, say, 4k30. I promise I won't hack it :LOL:
That's an "AvTvM Economics Modelling 101" type of logic. Admittedly, I believe this issue has been very well understood by my dog Archie by now. he lost any interest in this thread and has fallen asleep

• Haha
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
i expect it to come in at 4999 msrp. but lets wait and see. i wont buy video cams. not at 3.5 nor at 5 grand.
If you cannot afford this camera, then why are you so concerned then? this is obviously not your cup of tea or coffee for that matter.
get it of your chest and move on.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
a little piece of black tape wont cover up the 1000 bucks you paid for unused 8k video specs.
oh, you can even partially cover up a sensor with a piece of black tape. this will convert your R5 into an APS-C camera - a perfect 7d replacement BIF / Wildlife dream rig.
Now, demand a partial refund for the unused sensor area. What its worth? $1500 for it? take it away!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Video, Video, Video! All the hype about video tech in the R5.
Does this thing even take stills?
ah, I get it. that is the modern form of trolling Canon cameras.
not enough DR, cripple hammer, lagging behind, etc -- all this diatribe is no longer applies. so.. the "Does this thing even take stills" and " "this camera priced way too high" spiel is the new black.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky

v

P.S.
AND for the kicker, we're doing RnD on 2 metre by 2 metre single silicon wafer production (2000mm by 2000mm with NO cracks, occlusions or other other imperfections -- Substrate is mounted to super-strong/super-stable with-same-thermal expansion rate ceramic base for support) so we can get 128k by 128k resolution at MUCH HIGHER dynamic range by having the photosites be a tad over 15 microns in size! That will be installed on MULTIPLE polar orbit and equatorial orbit ground-pointing AND deep space imaging satellites which we will be launching straight from OUR IN-HOUSE BUILT SSTO systems!

V

Well you're definitely not a good representation of the Canon user base. It would be similar to someone from NASA saying they need longer lenses...

• Haha
Upvote 0
Well you're definitely not a good representation of the Canon user base. It would be similar to someone from NASA saying they need longer lenses...
Oh that is understatement. I bet the projects HarryFilm is working on are much higher grade than anything NASA could come up with.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

v

P.S.

V
It's good to hear that people/companies in Canada can up & decide to develop such ambitious visual sensor chips, and be in a market that can sustain such development.

But since this is an online thread for average camera users (well, the remaining more affluent ones at least) I am wondering if you are considering leveraging your considerable sensor R&D to also make bigger & better sensors which could be used for future cameras for our use? There are still aggressive existing camera companies, such as Sigma, that are still trying to develop competitive cameras and may be a perfect partner for you to supply your advanced sensors to. Then they could do better, you could do better, and we could enjoy even better cameras than exist now.

You shouted out "TRY AND BEAT THAT LMCO & RAYTHEON!!!!!!". So now I challenge you to "PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!!!!!!". Make some great sensors that make their way into a camera good enough for us to buy!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I share your concerns with what the price could be, but there is some history in our favor pointing to it being lower. This is not unlike the transition from 5D III to 5D IV. New higher resolution sensor. Improved AF system. Jumping from 1080 to 4K, and now from 4K to 8K. Despite all of those improvements to the 5D IV, the price stayed at $3499. It is at least possible, especially with Canon specifically saying this is in the 5 series family, that they will again come in at $3499.
I believe that there are more than a few of us(Shooosh. Don't tell Canon) that will be happy with pricing at $3999.00, at least initially.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
You shouted out "TRY AND BEAT THAT LMCO & RAYTHEON!!!!!!". So now I challenge you to "PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!!!!!!". Make some great sensors that make there way into a camera good enough for us to buy!

I would also be very interested in this gigapixel ultra dynamic range sensor, but only once the 240fps global read version is done. Also I am hoping he can generate a new compression scheme to keep image sizes down to, oh, a few megs per shot.

Upvote 0

martin_p_a

EOS RP
CR Pro
Jul 30, 2019
Montreal

v

P.S.

V

You really haven’t lived until you’ve printed your photos on 36 feet x 36 feet canvas to be hung on the side of your apartment building. So many amateurs here calculating print sizes in inches still... lame.

• Haha
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Canon making 2020 a little brighter. But serious question, how well will the battery will hold up while shooting at those specs? will probably get less than 1 hour of use shooting in 8K Raw. Hopefully they will not cripple with recording limits.

I believe that artificial limit of less than 30 min, is due largely to EU having rules that if it records 30min or greater, that it is taxed at a higher rate?

Did they get rid of that rule?

Upvote 0