Side by side comparison of the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R and Canon EOS RP

From this It looks like the R5 is a fat R.

I think that is just the angle difference between the two. If you look at the front of the flash mount compared to the body cap, it looks the same. Unless the sensor is farther from the back of the body, they are likely the same depth. I guess the sensor could be farther forward.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
The EOS-1's (N, V, DsI DsII DsIII) have been my favorite cameras to hold. The R is too small for comfort, OR a sure and steady grip for me. Although I like the portability aspect, I think I can get that via the smaller lenses and shorter film-flange distance. I don't care if the camera's taller.

Here's a question: has anyone speculated on whether the R5--sort of a 5-series, is going to be the top end? Or is anyone noticing holes in the specs suggesting a higher-end camera would be forthcoming? What I'm waiting for is a sensor with new abilities: extended dynamic range, electronic ND, no rolling shutter, etc.

There will absolutely be an R1 next year. Count on it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
1587768904701.png
Looking at the top-down, the R5 definitely looks a good bit thicker than the R5, including the handgrip, which slopes out towards the lens mount more than on the EOS R. The R5 kinda looks like the curves of the 1DX Mark II from above, with the body sloping towards the Canon logo.

Also looking at the image from the back, the body itself is taller and the handgrip is taller on the R5, they've raised the overall top of the body up towards the hotshoe to give more space.

Overall the ergonomics on this thing look like they've solved any of my problems with the EOS R and I am even more excited for the R5. I wish we could just see the bottom of the camera to see if the viewfinder eyecup can be user replaced for a weathercover eyecup, which is my biggest concern.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
View attachment 190085
I wish we could just see the bottom of the camera to see if the viewfinder eyecup can be user replaced for a weathercover eyecup, which is my biggest concern.

I would guess it is as there is an extra joint in the eye cup of the R5 that is likely where it separates--that is not present in the R.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’d like it to be bigger than the R, slightly heavier too. Big heavy lenses just seem too unbalanced on the R. I’m used to the 5D series, anything smaller and lighter feels off.
I agree. Although after adding a battery grip to my EOS R, the sizing and weight felt much better with heavy lenses.

Upvote 0