Side by side comparison of the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R and Canon EOS RP

Aug 9, 2016
Would be sweet if the R6 is the same size as the RP.

I am completely against these rinky dinky cameras, not sure what appeals to you, are you hands small? A camera should fit well in your hands, the 5dIV fits perfectly, the Sony, Fuji cameras are too small, feel weird in the hands. I really hope Canon keeps their dslr ergonomics, I would be a shame to lose that. The R is small enough that its pushing the boundaries of feeling right in the hand. I'd prefer they don't break a winning design like the 5Div ergonomics.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I am completely against these rinky dinky cameras, not sure what appeals to you, are you hands small? A camera should fit well in your hands, the 5dIV fits perfectly, the Sony, Fuji cameras are too small, feel weird in the hands. I really hope Canon keeps their dslr ergonomics, I would be a shame to lose that. The R is small enough that its pushing the boundaries of feeling right in the hand. I'd prefer they don't break a winning design like the 5Div ergonomics.
I bought the RP at announcement, when it came with the lens adapter and grip extender included in the $1,299 price. I have fairly large hands and I’ve never used the RP without the grip extender. It’s worked just fine for me. I think the option for the grip extender was Canon's acknowledgment that RP body alone would be too small for many users. I just wish they’d stuffed another battery compartment in the grip. The R5 will be modestly larger than the R & RP, and an optional grip with additional battery may, in fact, give it a similar size and feel to the 5D4. Incidentally, I’ve greatly enjoyed the RP. To me, it’s a great value for what it offers. I still use my 7D2 for action.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Choice is a wonderful thing. I do prefer a smaller camera for portability - I shoot a fair bit of landscapes and when hiking around in the mountains, I appreciate any weight savings I can get!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
If the joystick can do this job my suspicion is that it will be MUCH faster and more accurate, no matter where on the learning slope you are...
It should do as I suspect it will work the same as the 7D MK11 joystick, but I try not to get hung up on things like this, I've been around enough to know that no matter what you buy or how much you spend there is always something missing or wrong so instead of moaning about it like some, I just get on with it and adapt. That doesn't mean manufacturers get away with shortcuts or shoddy products as if it's a fundamental issue, I will give criticism but will also give feedback to help them make things better.

Looking forward to seeing this camera when it's released though. It's always exciting to try new tech.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Choice is a wonderful thing. I do prefer a smaller camera for portability - I shoot a fair bit of landscapes and when hiking around in the mountains, I appreciate any weight savings I can get!
I have to agree, the R is a refreshing change from the heavy 7D MK11 and it is ideal for travelling and hiking to remote locations even without a grip. I think the R5 with a slightly larger grip could be even better even without a grip extender.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
A little harsh calling the R & RP 'rinky dinky cameras'. I have the R and I don't especially have small hands and it fits great, even without the grip extender.

The point of mirrorless bodies is that they can be smaller and more efficient, so making them bigger and heavier to keep the form factor of DSLR'S defeats the object dont you think?

Putting a grip extender on to balance having a big lens makes some sense but normally even with an RF 70-200mm on, I don't need a grip extender, plus, the R body, an RF 70-200mm & RF24-105mm & Tripod fit snugly into my rucksack without being too heavy to be unmanageable.

I can understand anyone used to a 5D or 1D series finding the Smaller form factor of the R different to start with but that's the way the industry is moving. I'm sure there may be a 5DV coming along so if the R isn't your bag, maybe wait for that or go for the 1DX MK111 when it is on offer?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I think the R5 and R6 should be the same size and build, let the RP be its own thing. Just make one with a cheeper sensor like Nikon did with the Z6 and Z7(though that may have backfired as the Z6 seems to be far more popular).
++++ though that may have backfired as the Z6 seems to be far more popular
A.M.: that have backfired indeed. Big time. ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
The touch screen plays a role in af point selection too of course, using the top right part of the screen to drag and drop your af point without taking your eye off the viewfinder. This would somewhat compensate the missing touch screen af on button the 1dx iii has.

However, how easy would it be to reach that screen with your thumb while holding the camera? Any thoughts from current R owners?

And I’m happy Canon gets it, the R5 looks like a very comfortable camera to hold and use
I find using the top right quadrant for touch focus works very well and is easy to get used to. Using that quadrant, I have never had any issue with my nose causing focusing. I first used touchscreen AF focus selection on the M5 and now consider it a "must have" feature, one reason that I also own an Olympus E-M1 II.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
I find using the top right quadrant for touch focus works very well and is easy to get used to. Using that quadrant, I have never had any issue with my nose causing focusing. I first used touchscreen AF focus selection on the M5 and now consider it a "must have" feature, one reason that I also own an Olympus E-M1 II.
nice suggestion, Ive never tried that. I've just used the whole screen which didn't work but I may give that a go. Old dogs and all that lol.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016

the thing that slightly worries me, is that the grip is a bit bigger than the R, therefore, reaching the top right of the screen is harder while comfortably holding the camera

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
the thing that slightly worries me, is that the grip is a bit bigger than the R, therefore, reaching the top right of the screen is harder while comfortably holding the camera
The look of the R5 grip is marginally larger than the R. I don't have big hands and touching the top right quarter of the screen isn't an issue so hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
One of the things I'm most curious about is how well the R5 will work for a left-eyed person. That was a dealbreaker on the R and RP. Perhaps having the joystick controller will make the camera much more appealing to me.
I'm possibly weird as I know most people have a dominant eye but I use either eye for looking through the view finder, depending on where the sun is to get the most contrast in the view. Yes, when using my left eye, it moves my entire face to the right so does leave less room but It doesn't seem to affect how I use the controls.

I can see a left handed person having different issues though but like most things, whilst it's annoying manufacturers don't make both left and right handed products, it's amazing how the body / brain can adapt and be retrained so it doesn't make any difference.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
No it isn’t, measure it in PS.View attachment 190093
Your measurements highlight an interesting fact that the "unused?" border at the bottom of the R5 is *twice* as wide as it's other borders. But I also noticed that the right border of the R is also twice as wide as it's other borders. So it looks like the R active screen is offset to the left, while the R5 one is offset to the top. Why would they do this?

Upvote 0