Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

Aug 9, 2016
There is a commercial wisdom that it is better to have your own product impending on the existing product line rather than some other company cannibalising your products market share.
can I ask you a simple but rethorical question :
Do you think that Canon RF glass cannibalising on Canon EF line of products.
think of R1 as an extra level above 1D.
it will be week differentiated by AF capabilities, video capabilities, sensor resolution and certainly price.
I can commercially proof that R1sales would no longer affect adoption rate of 1D camera provided the above differentiation was maintained.

I tend to agree with your argument, alhough in Canon's case going if we go by history I dont see that happening. I hope I am wrong, I wouldnt be buying their flagship 1d mirrorless anyway but it would honestly surprise me if they released a 1dx level camera in the mirrorless line so soon after the 1dxiii. My guess is they release it 2 years from now but I could be wrong. The Sony A9 line may change that. But Canon did mention that they believe the OVF is still king when it comes to sports photography as EVF has the lag. That's their words not mine. Like I mentioned, I dont see it any time soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
No one mentioning a mirrorless version of the 7D. Why not? I've got to think there's a market for a very high frame rate mirrorless, even with a cropped sensor.

I think general consensus seems to be leaning towards the "M" series of cameras, being the APS-C camera line going forward....?

At least that's my take on it from the past month of reading here....

C

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I tend to agree with your argument, alhough in Canon's case going if we go by history I dont see that happening. I hope I am wrong, I wouldnt be buying their flagship 1d mirrorless anyway but it would honestly surprise me if they released a 1dx level camera in the mirrorless line so soon after the 1dxiii. My guess is they release it 2 years from now but I could be wrong. The Sony A9 line may change that. But Canon did mention that they believe the OVF is still king when it comes to sports photography as EVF has the lag. That's their words not mine. Like I mentioned, I dont see it any time soon.
Now that the Olympics have been delayed until Summer 2021, I expect Canon will introduce their R1 flagship body sufficiently before those Olympics so that they can claim FF mirrorless and DSLR bragging rights throughout the Olympics. If they don't do this, they will miss a golden opportunity to do so.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Now that the Olympics have been delayed until Summer 2021, I expect Canon will introduce their R1 flagship body sufficiently before those Olympics so that they can claim FF mirrorless and DSLR bragging rights throughout the Olympics. If they don't do this, they will miss a golden opportunity to do so.
Companies do not release products just for "bragging rights". There are a long list of reasons why it would not make sense the main ones being there are no long R mount lenses, EVF lag, just released the 1DX III, there is no real competitor to the 1DX at the Olympics anyway, a 1 year delay is nowhere near enough time to bring a new camera of that caliber to market, and the list goes on.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I would hope so, though I am not realy sure this is going to happen. The main reason are the missing telephoto lenses. EF lenses can be adapted to RF realy well, but I am not sure If the olympic Photographers would like to do this or if they prefer a native mount liek on the 1DX III. The electronic viewfinder could be realy nice for sports photogaphers though. Time wilt ell :)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I am wondering whether there will be any future FF R body without IBIS? My guess would be no. While IBIS would be optional on M bodies. What are the guesses?
I agree. In fact, if they took the R, gave it IBIS, added the single point spot autofocus point and a second card slot (which I really don't think is all that important but some people do) they could call it good and sell it for not much more than the original R.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Companies do not release products just for "bragging rights".
Thank you. I never understood the "bragging rights" perspectives. Canon produces to outshine and compete. Canon isn't a child on the playground. My mama always told me that bragging is bad form. There's always somebody that comes along with something newer and shinier. ;) Products speak for themselves. Canon doesn't spend millions of dollars producing a new product just to brag.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I agree. In fact, if they took the R, gave it IBIS, added the single point spot autofocus point and a second card slot (which I really don't think is all that important but some people do) they could call it good and sell it for not much more than the original R.
Yes. I would upgrade just for IBIS because I have 40 something lenses without IS. It works great on the wife's Olympus, but the crop factor makes it a no-go for me.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Companies do not release products just for "bragging rights". There are a long list of reasons why it would not make sense the main ones being there are no long R mount lenses, EVF lag, just released the 1DX III, there is no real competitor to the 1DX at the Olympics anyway, a 1 year delay is nowhere near enough time to bring a new camera of that caliber to market, and the list goes on.
Did I say it was "just" for bragging rights? No, I didn't. You want hype so that you can sell product - bodies & lenses. You can no more claim for sure that they won't introduce the R1 for the Olympics than I can for sure claim that they will. And ditto for the lenses they introduce at that time.

We will both see if they do a year from now.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thank you. I never understood the "bragging rights" perspectives. Canon produces to outshine and compete. Canon isn't a child on the playground. My mama always told me that bragging is bad form. There's always somebody that comes along with something newer and shinier. ;) Products speak for themselves. Canon doesn't spend millions of dollars producing a new product just to brag.
What other rational is there for the EF 50L f1.0? Or the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct? Companies often compromise aspects of an overall design specifically so they can hit new highs in benchmark metrics, that's why we get disclaimers like '* according to in house testing as of xxxx'.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I absolutely agree and hope for a high resolution R and a robust R1:)
I also would be interested in an even more video centered R model. Maybe with a lower MPixel count and better low light performance. Though the R5 is pretty much all I ever wanted.

Please tell me you are NOT going to demand that Canon sell a video-only camera without all those damn stills features you don't want to pay for. :LOL::D

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I thought we already knew that the R6 would have a 20mp sensor. If so, how could it replace the R with a 30mp sensor. Where does this 36mp sensor for the R6 come from, other than your desire for it?

And you are the expert on the future? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
The R6 feature set proposed by you makes a lot of sense and if the pricing is in the region of 1400 $ it might be a good start in a two body two lenses setup - two R5 are maybe too expensive for me. I have the money but it is overkill for what I do.

I am just looking at the huge MP gap of 20 to a possible 45mp. It does not make sense in today's competitive business. Looks like R5 is great then the cripple hammer came out for the R6. Just does not make sense.
Canon needs to absolutely dominate in features and price at all levels.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes it is. The gap between that and the R5 does not make any sense.
I am just looking at the huge MP gap of 20 to a possible 45mp. It does not make sense in today's competitive business. Looks like R5 is great then the cripple hammer came out for the R6. Just does not make sense.
Canon needs to absolutely dominate in features and price at all levels.

Nikon Z6 24mp
Nikon Z7 45mp

Sony A7 III 24mp
Sony A7R IV 61mp

What competition are you looking at where it doesn't make sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What other rational is there for the EF 50L f1.0? Or the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct? Companies often compromise aspects of an overall design specifically so they can hit new highs in benchmark metrics, that's why we get disclaimers like '* according to in house testing as of xxxx'.
I don't think they are for bragging by the companies as much as it is consumers who want to brag they have the fastest or bestest this or that. I think a lot of people buy things for status just because they can. I recall a young man once showing me his new sunglasses way back in the early 1980s. Just another pair of sunglasses to me. Then he said, "You know what those cost me? $375 bucks!" So who's the braggart? The sunglass company or the sucker? ;) He didn't appreciate my laughter. There's a fine line between bragging and showcasing. Bragging: 1.excessively proud and boastful talk about one's achievements or possessions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I'm not sure. Seems like most of the work has already been done with the 1DXiii. IF (big IF) the EVF on the R5 is quick and not laggy, then all you do is take the R5 body, redesign the bottom to build in the battery grip, add the AF point mover from the 1DXiii and then use the mechanical shutter and sensor from the 1DXiii. It seems like the only thing you would have to do that is new is the body, and that shouldn't be that challenging. All the guts exist in the 1DXiii and R5.

Not to mention that Canon seems to come out with new 1DX variants before the Olympics (as does Nikon) so bragging rights (marketing) are certainly a consideration.

And, as a sports shooter with a 1DXiii, I would really like to have a sports camera for my 28-70mm f/2 and my 85mm f/1.2 as my short camera depending on the sport. If the rumored 70-135mm f/2 becomes reality even more so.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I don't think they are for bragging by the companies as much as it is consumers who want to brag they have the fastest or bestest this or that. I think a lot of people buy things for status just because they can. I recall a young man once showing me his new sunglasses way back in the early 1980s. Just another pair of sunglasses to me. Then he said, "You know what those cost me? $375 bucks!" So who's the braggart? The sunglass company or the sucker? ;) He didn't appreciate my laughter. There's a fine line between bragging and showcasing. Bragging: 1.excessively proud and boastful talk about one's achievements or possessions

There's a LOT of companies across many industries that have "halo" products....the ultra high end stuff, that most people can't afford, BUT...they are there to draw attention to the company's other products and it does help sell stuff.

Ford has had the GT40...and I think they're about to come out with it again.
Heck, Chevy has the Corvette ZR1
Dodge used to have the Viper....

Those are car examples (hey, who doesn't like a good car example?)......but you see the same thing in many other company's products.

YES, there are some people that buy them....some can afford as that what is a fortune to some, is pocket change to others.
Some save and save and get their dream item...
Others just *drool*.....or some just aren't interested in that stuff.

But call it bragging rights, or call it a halo products....most all company's have a top of the line "something"....and it helps the prestige of their whole line.

C

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0