This is likely Canon’s lens roadmap for 2020

Dec 31, 2018
sunny 16 rule:

ISO 100, 1/100s, f/16 or ISO 100, 1/200, f/11, or ISO 600, 1/1200s, f/11, or ISO1000, 1/2000s, f/11 its DO as well. for Daylight Only?
RF 70-200 f2,8 can handle dim light situations good enough. Idea of interchangeable lens camera is you change lenses for different situation.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
sunny 16 rule:
It's a "rule" from the film age though, right? If you are okay with leaving some quality on the table, bending it a bit should be fine with modern sensors.

RF 70-200 f2,8 can handle dim light situations good enough. Idea of interchangeable lens camera is you change lenses for different situation.
Of you crop the RF 70-200mm 2.8 to match the FoV of the 800mm 11 you're actually getting the same amount of noise, but with far less detail since that crop is so heavy, you're left with almost no pixels.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Well, every extension of the RF setup is welcome! Personally I would really like to see new TS-E lenses like a new 17mm and finally the 35mm.
I know I have to wait...............wait...............wait...........
YES PLEASE!!!!

But I imagine these are years away (or never) considering the current economic situation and falling camera sales. :cry:

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This is why i'm hesitating buying an M6. It's quite expensive for a system with a questionable future.
This is just what we now know is probably coming from a Nokishita Post. It doesn't mean nothing else will come out and we had rumors that the M system will get some attention this year. It may be that the current situation has pushed that back a bit into next year.

I wouldn't be so gloomy. I think if Canon feels like going to f/11 is okay in order to keep size in check, that's basically them hinting that reducing the image Circle to do RF APS-C isn't going to happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
F11? It seems really........wierd. is it perhaps a comment on the performance of the new sensors? I mean. Even if the AF can work at f11 you would basically NEVER have enough light to shoot at f11 at that focal length. At least not for wildlife. Unless the new sensors are a major step above what we are used to.

Here we go again! And once again I have to state: I've done a TONNE of wildlife shooting with the 500L+2x extender stopped down to f/10. Close enough to be relevant to an 800 f/11 lens. And this on aged Canon sensors! Mostly small birds and certainly not always in good light. People need to stop accepting received wisdom and open their minds a little.

*However* it does seem odd that the two extenders still appear to be orphaned. Even I would doubt a combination of 1600mm f/22 (although I did used to stack extenders and shoot handheld at 1400mm f/11).

what the hell do you do with a Canon RF 800mm f/11 ? Definitely not for nighttime shooting.

Erm... what would you be shooting at night at 800mm anyway? Well there's the moon of course, in which case this lens would be ideal.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
I do find it a little tiresome that given one of the most vocal groups here for several years has been the 'Canon needs to release affordable lenses over 400mm', now they have started addressing* that gap in the lineup, it's all 'this is unusable, why are they doing this'. Bright, long and cheap - you can't have all three.

*we don't know the prices yet but surely they will be much cheaper than the current supertele options.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Here we go again! And once again I have to state: I've done a TONNE of wildlife shooting with the 500L+2x extender stopped down to f/10. Close enough to be relevant to an 800 f/11 lens. And this on aged Canon sensors! Mostly small birds and certainly not always in good light. People need to stop accepting received wisdom and open their minds a little.

*However* it does seem odd that the two extenders still appear to be orphaned. Even I would doubt a combination of 1600mm f/22 (although I did used to stack extenders and shoot handheld at 1400mm f/11).

Erm... what would you be shooting at night at 800mm anyway? Well there's the moon of course, in which case this lens would be ideal.
I am not suggesting it is impossible to shoot at 600 f11. Jut that it is VERY VERY limiting when that is the best you have to work with.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0