This is likely Canon’s lens roadmap for 2020

Mar 4, 2020
So far there were amazing lenses released but bodies were somewhat underwhelming. Now this overwhelming body (R5) is on its way and no new lens to match???
Looks like the lens division is running out of steam.
I think they are making less expensive lenses for the masses. There are not a lot of R bodies that have been sold, compared to other brands and DSLRs. For canon to get market share, they have to sell a lot of units and there are a lot more inexpensive units sold. Most people on this forum would not be thrilled with using a Rebel series body today, but canon has sold more of those than 5D series cameras.

Canon needs better bodies for the great glass they have produced for the pro and high end enthusiast. But, they also really need inexpensive glass to attract the large group of buyers at the lower end of the price spectrum. (There is probably more profit there in the long run...)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
F11. Interesting. So DPAF doesn't need similar amount of light as PDAF?

Also, what shooting usually needs that long and has enough light for F11? Outdoor motorsports?
That's the question of IS and sensor performance.
But my aspect is not so much the amount of light. I barely ever step down the big whites due to subject separation. F11sets this aspect far back.

The 600 might be an option for Birds in flight, with 800 you will never find them within your frame.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
My point is that people are already using what amount to f/11 telephotos, but because the number says 5.6 or 8, they don't think of it that way.

No, an m43 f/5.6 or 8 is exactly physically that. The equivalent FoV and alleged equivalent aperture are irrelevant.

If you're shooting at 5.6, that's what you're shooting at. It's a physical ratio.

Think of it this way: you shoot an 600 f/4 at 5.6 on a Canon FF. You then crop the centre portion to match m43 FoV. Did the aperture change? No.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I've been doing Wildlife Photography for almost 40 years, and I can say almost none. You want enough DOF to cover the entire animal/bird but that's it. Not to mention the fact that with wildlife Shutter speed is king. Even a small bit of movement can give you motion blur and that goes double with high pixel density. You also don't want distracting backgrounds. The highest I go is F8 and that is usually because I have a 2X converter on my 600 F4
None for me too. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
None for me too. :)
Out of my 52,000 shots with 500mm-1200mm kept in Lightroom 10,000 are F4.0, 20,000 are F5.6 and 7,000 are F8.0.
1350 are F11 and above. Nearly all are panning shots with too much light for the exposure time desired.
My question how smooth will IBIS and IS support panning.
Using cinema grade fluid tripod head can't be the answer with lightweight lenses like these F11s

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Think of it this way: you shoot an 600 f/4 at 5.6 on a Canon FF. You then crop the centre portion to match m43 FoV. Did the aperture change? No.
No, the aperture doesn't change when cropping. But the magnification does. And thereby noise becomes more apparent. And that's what the equivalency is about. Equivalent in terms of FoV and noise. People should write it that way each time to avoid confusion, but at some point one would hope it doesn't have to be stated explicitly anymore.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
My thoughts...
  • Canon RF 50 f/1.8 STM
    ==> Finally :love:
  • Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM
    ==> Lovely :love:
  • Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
    ==> Good! (y)Interesing what barrel construction (telescope/fixed lenght)
  • Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM
    ==> Interesing, depending on IQ;)
  • Canon RF 600mm f/11 DO IS STM
    ==> Fascinating, depending on IQ :unsure:
  • Canon RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM
    ==> Fascinating, depending on IQ :unsure:
  • Canon RF 1.4x
    ==> Can be combined with which lenses? :unsure:
  • Canon RF 2.0x
    ==> Can be combined with which lenses? :unsure:
And what about the R6?
Size? Price? Pics? Better RP successor or R successor?
Yes, this lineup is remarkable. Far away from copy and paste of any other lineup on earth.
- I am wondering the 85 being a Macro like the 35 or a real one like the EF 100 IS.
- Possibly the 70-200L will be fixed length and "full bullet proof" for worst conditions as maximum added value ti the existing already light and handy 2.8 version.
- The extenders are for the 2.8 70-200, possibly the 85 Marco and crazy stuff showing up next year (2.0 400 DO / 2.8 600 DO or other beyond big white)

Upvote 0

rinamiele

R5 + 1DX3
Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 21, 2018
New York
rinamiele.com
f/11 makes no sense. Sorry, I'll stick to carrying my heavy 600mm f/4 II. #DREAD

I live with the 1.4x tele, so I would be fine dealing with f/5.6 by default if they made the lens lighter/smaller (a la Nikon 500). But otherwise? No thanks. I'm not in the "make cheaper glass" arena so lighter and smaller would be my main reason for getting a new/additional 600mm.

It's bad enough I was considering the new RF 100-500 with the long end at f/7.1...

Look, I love my EOS R. I love my RF Glass (28-70mm f2, 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.2, 85mm f1.2, 70-200 f2.8)
I'm the first one to jump on board... but not this time. YEESH.

I can wait though. I have the 1DX3 for now...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
No, the aperture doesn't change when cropping. But the magnification does. And thereby noise becomes more apparent. And that's what the equivalency is about. Equivalent in terms of FoV and noise.

But people here are commenting as if it affects exposure ( as in how could you shoot f/11 at night etc ). It doesn't, the same shutter-aperture-ISO will give the same exposure on all sensors with the exception of differences due to true transmission ratio of the lenses.

And noise equivalence is dependent on sensor technology, it's not inversely linear to sensor size.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
There's a lot of posts about f/11 being unusable because it is too dark or diffraction limited. Feel free to think that way, but the rest of us can enjoy tons of beautiful images taken with long telephotos with lens IS plus IBIS at f/11 or more.

As an example, I have an Olympus 300mm f4 IS lens (2x crop factor) which is a FF EQuivalent of 600mm f/8 IS. I take tons of handheld pictures wide open or stopped further down by many stops and have no worries about soft images. I'll include a picture I took at f6.7 (which is FF EQ of 600mm f/13.4 !).
P6230871_M_email.jpg

A RF DO(diffractive optic) 800mm f/11 IS lens should take beautiful pictures on a R5 or R6 and be relatively easy to handhold as well. If you don't think it can take good pictures for your particular needs, then don't buy it - but please stop saying it can't take good pictures in general when so many others, including Canon, already know that it can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0