This is likely Canon’s lens roadmap for 2020

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
My point is that people are already using what amount to f/11 telephotos, but because the number says 5.6 or 8, they don't think of it that way.

With my 6D2 I find that for a lot of subject matter and a lot of purposes, ISO 3200 is just fine. Maybe if National Geographic were paying me big bucks, then I'd need a faster lens. But for posting on the web or printing on paper up to 13" x 19" without a lot of cropping, that level of ISO should usually be fine. I just wouldn't come here to brag about my 100% crops. I don't do any wildlife shooting other than birds at the feeders next door. (The deer duck into the woods behind my house if I point anything at them.) So I can't really speak from experience. And I don't have an R-series camera or plans to get one anyway. But I'd think 1/2000 sec. in bright light should work OK for a lot of critters. And shouldn't the sensors on the new R cameras be better than the one in my 6D2?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
However, the 800mm f11 lens patent indicates that it has *NO IS*, and so it will be worthless to handhold (IMHO), but WILL be very usable on a tripod.
It does not matter what's in the patent, Nokishita is pretty much always right with the rumours/leaks, and it says
Canon RF 600mm f/11 DO IS STM
Canon RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM
So it should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It does not matter what's in the patent, Nokishita is pretty much always right with the rumours/leaks, and it says
Canon RF 600mm f/11 DO IS STM
Canon RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM
So it should be fine.
I didn't notice the IS in the name of the lens. I just checked the patent which didn't include it. :unsure:
If they put IS in the lens, as you think they will, then YES - it will be fine to handhold! :D
Since it looks like it will have IS, I have deleted my post. Thanks for bringing this to my attention! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well, every extension of the RF setup is welcome! Personally I would really like to see new TS-E lenses like a new 17mm and finally the 35mm.
I know I have to wait...............wait...............wait...........
Hi, out of interest: why wouldn’t you use your existing TSE lenses with the adaptor? This is slow tripod kind of work anyway, the adaptor would be a minor issue for me with these lenses? Just curious. Grtz, F.

Upvote 0
F11. Interesting. So DPAF doesn't need similar amount of light as PDAF?

Also, what shooting usually needs that long and has enough light for F11? Outdoor motorsports?

I use the 5.6 400 with 2x extender to get my 800mm and it works like a charm if ... you have enough contrast in the right direction and a little bit light. Direction means that DPAF needs vertically aligned structures to acquire AF information.

And reading about f/11 800 is another reason to keep that lens and enjoy to have the 5.6 400mm option on top!

Upvote 0
I wouldn't wish f/11 on my worst enemies.

These specs aren't telling me Canon expects me to use f/11 with current tech. They're telling me the R5/6 high ISO performance is going to be as big a leap as was the leap to 8K. Imagine ISO 6400 that looks like the current ISO 400. At least this is what I'm telling myself they're telling me :LOL:

Upvote 0
This could be the answer. Canon has developed a Dual Gain Output censor, Each photo diode outputs 2 photos at the same time. One for high dynamic range, and the other for low noise. They are combined at output to give High Dynamic range and low noise in the image. This tech was developed for C300 Cinema camera. will it be used in the new R5 and R6 cameras, I hope so.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Unless 12,800 in the new camera can give me the same noise characteristics as today's ISO 3200, then it's a non-starter for me.
Yeah, but that's just you. As I said, there are people who can deal with the compromises for the benefit of small size and lower costs that come as a tradeoff with them. I was responding to a post that stated that one basically never has enough light to use this lens for wildlife. And I don't think that is true.

f/11 is less than two stops slower than my Sigma f/6.3. Would giving up more light make it harder to get good results under many circumstances? Yes. But is a two stop difference the end of the world if your lens ends up smaller and cheaper in return? To many, probably not.

If you're not in the market for these lenses, that's just fine. But there should be a market for them and I find it exciting to see Canon try new things.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
Owning a supertelephoto hasn't been a priority for me. Though, I figured I'd pick up a sigma or other third-party lens somewhere down the line. If the price and size of a native 600mm or 800mm are right, I'd probably be fine with the f/11 limitations/noise. Would be fun for taking on day hikes. The probability of me purchasing a Canon prime >400mm just moved from 0% to materially above 0%. It's got to be inexpensive though.

Upvote 0
"Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM"
Glad to see this. Maybe with 52 mm filter, similar size/design compared to RF 35 f/1.8 and the macro accessory groove around the lens top end. Might be my next purchase as "standard" lens for my RP.

And glad that I haven't upgraded to the EF 70 200 f/4 version ii but decided to use my version i IS lens. RF type might be very interesting compact solution for R cameras.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yuck. As a full time shooter of wildlife, none of these long lenses interest me. The weight would be amazing but I am a sucker for DOF.

I wish canon would make a 500 f/5.6 that kicks the nikons a$$, also a 300 f/4 and 400 f/4 PF type
DO and PF are pretty much the same thing.

EF 400/4 DO II is available for 6900$, would you pay 8000$-8500$ for an RF 400/4 DO?
I somehow doubt it.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
I shoot with the EF 100-400mm on the 2x Extender III using the EOS R. Autofocus is great, and I get a lot of incredible shots (both video and photos) with this setup. I shoot mostly between 800-1000 ISO. No, this isn’t for action, but works great for composing the full moon setting over a mountain range. I’d love to have this same reach in better glass weighing a third of the weight at less than half the length.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I’d love to have this same reach in better glass weighing a third of the weight at less than half the length.
You forgot to mention price :)

If we look at the RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM, the somewhat comparable Zuiko Pro 300mm f/4 IS with the MC-14 extender has a combined MSRP of 3250$, despite the lack of an L designation, with the DO technology, I don't expect it to be a whole lot cheaper (if at all)
The RF 600mm f/11 DO IS STM might cost a good deal less, although not nearly as exciting.

Upvote 0
Just ask a wildlife photographer how many of his/her shots are made at F11. You will be surprised.
I've been doing Wildlife Photography for almost 40 years, and I can say almost none. You want enough DOF to cover the entire animal/bird but that's it. Not to mention the fact that with wildlife Shutter speed is king. Even a small bit of movement can give you motion blur and that goes double with high pixel density. You also don't want distracting backgrounds. The highest I go is F8 and that is usually because I have a 2X converter on my 600 F4

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0