This is likely Canon’s lens roadmap for 2020

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
There's a lot of nonsense in this thread about f/11 and 800mm being absurd. Like others here, I've been shooting f/8 and 800mm successfully for several years with a 2xTC on a 400mm DO II, even stopping down to f/11. So, I could find a use for it. Some admit it would be OK for static bird life but not birds in flight. But, have they tried doing BIF with any 800mm lens? It's darned difficult with that narrow field of view and I prefer 400mm on FF or 560 at the most to give me a chance of tracking and keeping in frame. The Sony mob are using the 200-600m f/6.3 with a 2xTC and not complaining about the f/13 aperture.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
This is pretty amazing, Long lenses with small max apertures shows Canon has something up their sleeve as far as incredible sensor technology. ISO 120,000 with NO noise at all?
I don't think so.

ISO's have slowly gotten better over time, but people haven't really adjusted that much. with 45MP's on the R5 for instance, you have A LOT of pixels to play with for noise reduction before you are down in the 20mp or so file size.

Then you have DLO which reduces the effect of diffraction - so F/11 isn't F/11 after running through DLO. Combine that with some very smart NR and you probably have pretty good output.

I see people EVERYWHERE clamoring for computational photography. Canon's DLO is pretty sophisticated, and today's NR stuff is pretty spiffy too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
A 500mm f/5.6 and a 600mm f/5.6 would be ideal. After seeing the Nikon 500mm f/5.6 in person I am sold. F/11 is just not going to work here unless it’s am at ISO 18000 in a forest.

If the IBIS + lens IS is anything like what you get with the Olympus 300 PRO then it will still be fairly useful for stationary subjects even in poor lighting conditions.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The RF 70-200mm f4L IS USM will be a big hit as will the RF85mm f2 Macro IS STM and the RF50 f1.8 STM. These are staples for many. I would think the RF16-35mm f4L IS USM and the RF24-70mm f4L IS USM will follow in 2021 this would keep a lot of landscape photographers very happy. Keep on rolling . Canon
Totally! I'm likely to get all 3.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
what the hell do you do with a Canon RF 800mm f/11 ? Definitely not for nighttime shooting.
I bet there are actually people who shoot at other times besides night. I would even imagine a vast majority shoot in daylight.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
F11? It seems really........wierd. is it perhaps a comment on the performance of the new sensors? I mean. Even if the AF can work at f11 you would basically NEVER have enough light to shoot at f11 at that focal length. At least not for wildlife. Unless the new sensors are a major step above what we are used to.
I can use f/11 with my R. I can also use it in live view with my 5D MK IV. I think some of the better communications in the RF lenses may help autofocus.

F11 is F11, the focal length does not change that. Obviously, the amount of light needed to get a low ISO exposure at a high shutter speed is critical, and for moving subjects, a fast shutter speed is going to be a issue. Lots of wildlife is not moving, birds in flight might require high ISO.

Upvote 0
I am. Expecting fast wide lenses.

If canon did every "dream" request that people wanted, they would have had to create a 100 lens ecosystem in 6 months after release.

Canon has created more than enough "pro" lenses to start, and certainly needs to fill out more consumer lenses.

if you didn't recall a R6 is coming too.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

If the IBIS + lens IS is anything like what you get with the Olympus 300 PRO then it will still be fairly useful for stationary subjects even in poor lighting conditions.

I tried out f/11 in my local burn. 1/5 at ISO 3200. That isn't enough to get a perched bird. I do think it is enough on a bright day out in the open on the other hand. But it will be very cheep and light weight and should open up wildlife to a lot of people that would otherwise not be able to afford it. ATM the cheapest route I can see is a D850 and 500mm PF f/5.6. I would like to see a similar pro level offering from Canon, something f/5.6, small, and long when you can't or don't want to take a f/4 or f/2.8 super tele.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
No love for the m mount :cry:
There is no doubt that Canon wants to push RF lenses. They are pricing the R bodies well, but are cleaning up on the RF lenses. That is in conformance with what they have said in their financial reports. Its the printer and ink strategy, sell printers cheaply, make a big profit on lenses where there is no competition. Expect their patent lawyers to be jealously guarding the RF patents.

Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
It would be nice to see an RF 15-35 f4L?
Exactly what I was thinking. I have crop sensor right now, thinking about upgrading to FF. If I buy an RF camera I'll buy it with the 24-105 f/4, and I have the EF 100-400, but that leaves me needing a wide angle, and I personally cannot justify paying the price for the 15-35 f/2.8, wonderful as that lens may be. If they are going to introduce the tele member of the f/4 trinity, would be nice to also have the f/4 wide angle. Right now there's no affordable wide angle (35 is just barely wide angle).

Upvote 0