Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
So if the R5 and R6 are announced on July 9th, when will Youtubers have access to these cameras for evaluation? Before the announcement or after that and before public introduction?
Not sure of the answer, but I am hoping they will at least have videos from pros that have been testing the cameras. I know these will be marketing driven, but should provide some insight to the good news.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I thought all DO lenses have a green ring. It is clearly missing on these two super tele lenses. Also, what's the purpose of the weird shape in the front of the lens barrel?
Canon break their own ‘rules’ whenever they want. The first green ring was back in the early ‘70’s and was for fluorite, red ringed L lenses are FF frame only apart from when they are on a Powershot Pro-1 or a printer!

BAF7ACFA-54A3-4E49-9BED-A4E4241C5CF1.jpeg7022BA93-37AE-409F-8EFB-FEF1AC0110C1.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Why do I feel you have not done enough bird photography? Light is low in the foliage where birds are unless as mentioned you are photographing shorebirds. AND bad light (top light) is bad light.
I agree, the lens should be beneficial if you shoot a lot of waterfowl in flight or relatively open waters.

Upvote 0
Canon break their own ‘rules’ whenever they want. The first green ring was back in the early ‘70’s and was for fluorite, red ringed L lenses are FF frame only apart from when they are on a Powershot Pro-1 or a printer!
And white after an arbitrary focal length. 100mm f2.8L macro and 135mm f2 are black but 70-200 is white and now we have big silver (or big grey?) lens

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I thought all DO lenses have a green ring. It is clearly missing on these two super tele lenses. Also, what's the purpose of the weird shape in the front of the lens barrel?
Even if Canon currently associates green with DO, these lenses are very different to the previous DO ones. They are also STM and they are freaking f/11. And RF, so a new system anyway. Seems like they love some silver accents now, the cameras and lens mount have them too. Either green is going away completely (I think they chose about the worst hue of green anyway) or they want to set these lenses apart, since they have little in common with the other DOs.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Even if Canon currently associates green with DO, these lenses are very different to the previous DO ones. They are also STM and they are freaking f/11. And RF, so a new system anyway. Seems like they love some silver accents now, the cameras and lens mount have them too. Either green is going away completely (I think they chose about the worst hue of green anyway) or they want to set these lenses apart, since they have little in common with the other DOs.
It seems to me the EF 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 DO IS wasn’t that far removed from these new f11 STM lenses and that had the green ring. Although it was a truly forgettable lens with terrible bokeh issues low contrast and a high price.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It seems to me the EF 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 DO IS wasn’t that far removed from these new f11 STM lenses and that had the green ring. Although it was a truly forgettable lens with terrible bokeh issues low contrast and a high price.
Hm, right. It also has a silver stripe.

I think with Canon's RF marketing, once something gets an STM AF and a slow aperture, it lands in a separate lens category. My current impression is that RF crop and corresponding lenses will not come, and instead this set of lower cost FF lenses is meant to satisfy the customers that can afford to go beyond the level of an M6 II / 90D and stay below the L lens level.

Plenty of EF-S lenses have a silver ring as well, so that also fits this. It's just speculation at this point of course.

Or maybe DO just isn't as significant to their marketing strategy anymore, so it doesn't need an extra ring to set it apart. That could also allow then to slap that beloved red ring on any future L DOs they produce.

I could see the appeal of these clean Canon systems though. RF is FF with lenses ranging from reasonable compact to huge and EF-M is APS-C with lenses... That all have the exact same diameter. Still think that's not a necessity, but it is a fun quirk.

Upvote 0
Why do I feel you have not done enough bird photography? Light is low in the foliage where birds are unless as mentioned you are photographing shorebirds. AND bad light (top light) is bad light.

I typically don't photograph birds in foliage, and I've only been shooting for a little over a year, but I'm pretty okay at math. This shot was taken at f/6.3, 1/400, 1600 ISO. I can get the same exposure by closing the aperture to f/11, leaving the shutter speed the same, and bumping the ISO to ~5000. This was taken around 4pm with not great lighting. There was a clearing nearby with close to perfect lighting and I could have used nearly whatever ISO I wanted. No, the 800mm isn't going to let you take the same shots as a 600mm f/4, but it will probably be half the weight or less and cost 1/10th as much. It sounds like this lens isn't for you? I don't know what to tell you. Go practice at f/11 I guess if it bothers you that much.

DSC04958-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
I'm assuming you mean "keeps releasing completely new designs rather than redesigning the most used lenses."
My poor English :)
I meant that they’ve been doing both. They’ve released only the most used lenses for professionals (holy trinity, 85 f/1.2, 50/1.2 and 24-105) which makes sense – we want the most used lenses to be native.
But they’ve been also releasing completely new designs instead of producing those “middle-used” lenses such as macro, fish eyes, f/4’s etc. We can use those with adapters and canon can focus on something more interesting to attract new people or to give us something new.
I don’t even think that the fast long lenses should be a priority now. They’re long and expensive anyway so the adaptor doesn’t make a significant difference in terms of size or price.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
My poor English :)
I meant that they’ve been doing both. They’ve released only the most used lenses for professionals (holy trinity, 85 f/1.2, 50/1.2 and 24-105) which makes sense – we want the most used lenses to be native.
But they’ve been also releasing completely new designs instead of producing those “middle-used” lenses such as macro, fish eyes, f/4’s etc. We can use those with adapters and canon can focus on something more interesting to attract new people or to give us something new.
I don’t even think that the fast long lenses should be a priority now. They’re long and expensive anyway so the adaptor doesn’t make a significant difference in terms of size or price.

I totally agree. I don't see much advantage making a 11-24 or 8-15 in RF version. Of course they would be a bit smaller but i would probably buy the EF versions anyway and use them with the drop-in filter adapter.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I think DO will get red rings now and we'll see the new 500 f/4 and 600 f/4 as DO L lenses with red rings. It will push the marking that mirrorless is smaller and lighter than those big EF lenses.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Hm, right. It also has a silver stripe.

Or maybe DO just isn't as significant to their marketing strategy anymore, so it doesn't need an extra ring to set it apart. That could also allow then to slap that beloved red ring on any future L DOs they produce.

The prototype 600 DO had a red ring already.

Canon-600mm-f4L-is-DO-BR-Lens-1-600x338.jpg

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020

Speaking only for myself, I’m not spending $5000-10,000 on a new lens in order to hang it on a mismatched tube with a second mount interface to wobble. If I need a big long lens I’ll buy an inexpensive resellable used one. No revenue for Canon for me in the category until they have native big whites.

All it takes is a longer rear housing and no change to any of the other mechanical, optical, and electronic components.

Of course that rear housing will presumably include a control ring and the matching RF silver element like the RF70-200.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Speaking only for myself, I’m not spending $5000-10,000 on a new lens in order to hang it on a mismatched tube with a second mount interface to wobble. If I need a big long lens I’ll buy an inexpensive resellable used one. No revenue for Canon for me in the category until they have native big whites.

All it takes is a longer rear housing and no change to any of the other mechanical, optical, and electronic components.

Of course that rear housing will presumably include a control ring and the matching RF silver element like the RF70-200.

i didn’t find it a very big deal; in this case a 500 ii on an R. With extender even. That said, if I’d get a new big white now it would have to be RF

Attachments

• 384F5B42-ACF4-4DDA-AB33-0D9355D37B09.jpeg
    384F5B42-ACF4-4DDA-AB33-0D9355D37B09.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I typically don't photograph birds in foliage, and I've only been shooting for a little over a year, but I'm pretty okay at math. This shot was taken at f/6.3, 1/400, 1600 ISO. I can get the same exposure by closing the aperture to f/11, leaving the shutter speed the same, and bumping the ISO to ~5000. This was taken around 4pm with not great lighting. There was a clearing nearby with close to perfect lighting and I could have used nearly whatever ISO I wanted. No, the 800mm isn't going to let you take the same shots as a 600mm f/4, but it will probably be half the weight or less and cost 1/10th as much. It sounds like this lens isn't for you? I don't know what to tell you. Go practice at f/11 I guess if it bothers you that much.

View attachment 190892

This shot probably would have been ok at 1/200 with IS on.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I think DO will get red rings now and we'll see the new 500 f/4 and 600 f/4 as DO L lenses with red rings. It will push the marking that mirrorless is smaller and lighter than those big EF lenses.
The allure of the big whites has been their long telephoto sharp-focused subject with extremely big & smooth bokeh in the compressed out-of-focus background that they can best produce. The weakness of previous DO lenses (IMHO) is the radially oscillating bokeh rings caused by the discrete edges from each radial ring to the next in the lighthouse-like DO lens. But if Canon can get their micro-surface-DO lenses (or whatever they call it) to have so many tiny radial rings that the radial bokeh oscillations start to become unnoticeable and thus appear smooth then they could indeed successfully merge DO optics with their big whites. That result would be astounding in allowing huge aperture lenses with shorter lengths and greatly reduced weight! :geek: Even better - the same technology could be used on all lenses, big & small to the same benefit! o_O But, as with all things that revolutionary, we'll have to see it to believe it.:sneaky:

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
The allure of the big whites has been their long telephoto sharp-focused subject with extremely big & smooth bokeh in the compressed out-of-focus background that they can best produce. The weakness of previous DO lenses (IMHO) is the radially oscillating bokeh rings caused by the discrete edges from each radial ring to the next in the lighthouse-like DO lens. But if Canon can get their micro-surface-DO lenses (or whatever they call it) to have so many tiny radial rings that the radial bokeh oscillations start to become unnoticeable and thus appear smooth then they could indeed successfully merge DO optics with their big whites. That result would be astounding in allowing huge aperture lenses with shorter lengths and greatly reduced weight! :geek: Even better - the same technology could be used on all lenses, big & small to the same benefit! o_O But, as with all things that revolutionary, we'll have to see it to believe it.:sneaky:

The 400 DO version 2 is very-very sharp from what ive seen and bokeh looks smooth. I'm curious how it compares to the 400 2.8 at F4.

Upvote 0