Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

The 600mm and 800mm lenses are going bring supertelephotos to the masses. It's a brilliant move on Canon's part, since smartphones have replaced the normal focal length lenses for a lot of non-photographers. And smartphones will never be able to replicate images shot at these focal lengths due to physical limitations. These lenses could get more regular people into dedicated cameras agan.

I don't have $8k+ to spend on a big white, but I love photographing birds, so I'll be picking up the 800mm for sure. And I think 3200/6400 ISO will not be a problem for the R6/R5 if anyone is worried about shooting at f11. Hell, my a6100 can get usable images at 3200 ISO. I'm so glad I decided to go Canon instead of Sony when I was planning my full frame upgrade a year ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
For me, there is one lens currently missing in the RF lens line up. And that is a EF 100mm F2.8L IS Macro lens equivalent. A lot of times it was part of some rumored future lens list, but the Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM seams also not to be this equivalent because it is no Pro L lens.

But why would Canon come out with a second amateur macro lens after the RF 35mm Macro, if it has no pro macro lenses in its RF lineup?
You can easily use the 100mm with an adaptor. I’m glad that canon keeps releasing completely new designs or the most used lenses.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I have been hoping that an RF mount cinema camera will be also announced. I have been investing into RF lenses for 2 year now. Is RF mount is for professionals or for prosumer market only? Canon, please just give us a C250-RF camera with built-in ND filters. EOR-R5 is just a stop gap to what most of DSLR shooters, if serious, would really want.
They want to keep selling the C300 Mark III
Their first RF video-oriented camera is predicted to be something different, more like the XC form factor with a s35mm sensor, but relying on the RF-EF adapters to get a variable ND.
The full-on cinema cameras will come later on.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
So the 600 mm and the 800 mm with the 2x TC will be f/22. That'll be interesting...
At those very extreme focal lengths, you might as well focus manually, and have rock-steady support as well as clean air...
After a certain point you are better of with an EF 600mm f/4 and teleconverters (either new or used).
But you have those options, no one is forcing you to buy f/11 DO lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...I don't have $8k+ to spend on a big white, but I love photographing birds, so I'll be picking up the 800mm for sure. And I think 3200/6400 ISO will not be a problem for the R6/R5 if anyone is worried about shooting at f11. Hell, my a6100 can get usable images at 3200 ISO.,,

F11 at ISO 6400 will still require extremely good light to shoot birds. Shore birds will likely be fine. But it will be difficult to get to f11 and 6400 with a songbird in a tree. I'm not trashing the 800mm, just suggesting that people need to realistic about its limitations. The two extra stops of the 100-400 with cropping might yield better results.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
F11 at ISO 6400 will still require extremely good light to shoot birds. Shore birds will likely be fine. But it will be difficult to get to f11 and 6400 with a songbird in a tree. I'm not trashing the 800mm, just suggesting that people need to realistic about its limitations. The two extra stops of the 100-400 with cropping might yield better results.

You can easily shoot at f/11 all the way until golden hour at ISOs lower than 6400, especially in the summer. Getting birds in flight will definitely be more limited at that hour, but still doable. This lens is not nearly as crippled at a lot of people here are saying. I’ll make sure to send you some photos when I get it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I don't plan on buying the DO telephoto primes, but am curious about how they perform. I take the view that I need to see them in action with real world use before I write them off because of a number. I mean lens to lens, just because it is classified scientifically by it's light gathering ability, doesn't mean all are equal. There are dirt cheap huge aperture lenses out there that have horrible IQ. So much more involved in lens design than aperture alone. It's like IBIS. People talk like it's a binary option. Have it? Good. Don't have it? Bad. That's not entirely true as from what I've seen, there are levels of IBIS quality. Panasonic & Olympus looks best. Fuji and Nikon in the middle. Sony's garbage looking like it's not even there sometimes. (Speaking from a video perspective).

Also, Canon has earned some equity with us as a great imaging company. I doubt they'd make a stupid lens to troll their customers. It's a little like the outrage at the EOS R when first released, but when people started using it, it was actually an excellent camera. So if it were a focal length I was interested in, I'd owe it to them to try before writing it off.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It appears the TCs are RF-RF, which suggests they are laying the foundation for an RF big white. I’d predict a RF300 f2.8.
How can you tell? I haven't seen any confirmation that the TCs are RF-RF. It makes a lot of sense them to be RF-EF to avoid stacked adaptors for RF-EF plus EF TC 1.4 or 2x to use current EF big whites.
If the new TCs are RF-RF then it is somewhat confusing for the aperture for the new RF "big silver" (I claim copyright for this one!) lenses
A previous thread outlines the valid use cases for 600/800 f11 new lens but it is less convincing when combined with the TCs if they are RF-RF
Canon RF 100-500mm f/4-7.1L IS USM -> 700mm @f10 (1.4x) and 1000mm @ ~f14 (2x)
Canon RF 600mm f/11 DO IS STM -> 840mm @f16 (1.4x) and 1200mm @ f22 (2x)
Canon RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM -> 1120mm @f16 (1.4x) and 1600mm @ f22 (2x)
I imagine that Canon would prefer people buy all three lenses rather than use any of them with TCs. It isn't clear if AF would work wide-open @f22!
A RF300mm f2..8 (DO?) makes sense to release but it is likely to be released in line with the olympics next year. Wouldn't it make more sense to release the RF:RF TCs with it?

Upvote 0
I assume you mean Canon Explorers of Light, Canon has no "Ambassadors"
Perhaps you need to expand your knowledge somewhat. Yes Canon US has their explorers of light list but there are ambassadors, explorers and masters in Europe (see https://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/ambassadors.do). Malaysia has their ambassadors (https://my.canon/en/consumer/eos-ambassadors/news), Australia has their ambassadors (https://www.canon.com.au/collective/collective-ambassadors) and probably other countries as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I like the look of the 600/800. Looks like they will be extendable to go to shooting positions as they look a lot shorter than the patents compared to the 100-500. Looks like that top dark (rubberized) section will extend from the silver section.
Could it be a mirror lens with fixed f11 to get to the compact size?

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
How can you tell? I haven't seen any confirmation that the TCs are RF-RF. It makes a lot of sense them to be RF-EF to avoid stacked adaptors for RF-EF plus EF TC 1.4 or 2x to use current EF big whites.
If the new TCs are RF-RF then it is somewhat confusing for the aperture for the new RF "big silver" (I claim copyright for this one!) lenses
A previous thread outlines the valid use cases for 600/800 f11 new lens but it is less convincing when combined with the TCs if they are RF-RF
Canon RF 100-500mm f/4-7.1L IS USM -> 700mm @f10 (1.4x) and 1000mm @ ~f14 (2x)
Canon RF 600mm f/11 DO IS STM -> 840mm @f16 (1.4x) and 1200mm @ f22 (2x)
Canon RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM -> 1120mm @f16 (1.4x) and 1600mm @ f22 (2x)
I imagine that Canon would prefer people buy all three lenses rather than use any of them with TCs. It isn't clear if AF would work wide-open @f22!
A RF300mm f2..8 (DO?) makes sense to release but it is likely to be released in line with the olympics next year. Wouldn't it make more sense to release the RF:RF TCs with it?

I presume that a EF-RF TC would be about as long as a normal TC plus the EF-RF adapter. The depicted ones appear normal
Length.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
You can easily use the 100mm with an adaptor. I’m glad that canon keeps releasing completely new designs or the most used lenses.

I'm assuming you mean "keeps releasing completely new designs rather than redesigning the most used lenses."

Yes that's not a bad strategy. What I think will happen over the next 5--10 years is that they never release a new version of an EF lens, but rather an RF of very similar specs. Eventually the most current lens of any given focal length and aperture is an RF lens. Meanwhile, right now they can release a bunch of totally different stuff (like f/11 long primes), filling holes many people didn't even realize existed.

Upvote 0
I presume that a EF-RF TC would be about as long as a normal TC plus the EF-RF adapter. The depicted ones appear normal
Length.
Normal when it comes to RF mount would be unusual! Given the RF designs are pushing the rear element towards the sensor meaning less/no space for an adapter eg the RF70-200mm. We are assuming that the RF 100-500mm will accept RF:RF TCs but this is not obvious when the "big silver" lens 600/800mm f11 fit the focal lengths but with big size advantages. RF100-500mm + 1.4TC is 700mm @f10 and with 2x is 1000mm@f14 is not so different from the 3 lenses being released and Canon want us to buy more lenses :)

I agree that the new TC length appears to be the same as existing ones but that doesn't mean that this model would be the same optical design as RF-EF adaptor + EF:EF TC that would just add the empty space. A new design would (hopefully) include better optics than the current vIII models
What I can't find it a cut-through profile of the current TCs ie showing where the elements are in relation to the physical body. Is this available somewhere?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
You can easily shoot at f/11 all the way until golden hour at ISOs lower than 6400, especially in the summer. Getting birds in flight will definitely be more limited at that hour, but still doable. This lens is not nearly as crippled at a lot of people here are saying. I’ll make sure to send you some photos when I get it.
Why do I feel you have not done enough bird photography? Light is low in the foliage where birds are unless as mentioned you are photographing shorebirds. AND bad light (top light) is bad light.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Yes.

Upvote 0