Here are the USD prices for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and lenses

The body only and lens pricing is as expected, or maybe even better, but those kits seem wrong.

$400 and $1100 USD is pretty steep, especially since the current Canadian pricing for the R kits are body+$300 CAD for the STM and body+$800 CAD for the 4L.

I was kinda hoping/expecting to see Canon go aggressive with their kit pricing to entice us EF people to switch over. In the 5D and 5D2 days, the 24-105 was practically free. When I got my 7D2, Canon was tossing in the 24-70/4L for $400.

Oh well, might wait a little and see what the street price is.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
That’s a bit out of my price range for the R5. I think I’ll stick with my 1D C for now.

I personally think the Sony A7R4 is a better deal than the EOS R5. At $3500 new, I think that would be my next upgrade. I can even use all of my canon glass. 8k is of absolutely no importance to me. Image quality and resolution is more important with acceptable 4K video.
Even if you only shoot in 4k30p where the A7R4 maxes out (4k120p on the R5), the heavily compressed 8-bit 4:2:0 XAVC-S codec is no match for 10-bit 4:2:2

Also the cost of the body is one thing. The R5 can take any EF lens with the adapter (which by the way is cheaper than the Sigma MC-11 for the Sony) and work with it perfectly while it is more limited on the A7R4 (With the Canon the IBIS and EF lens IS works together, no such thing on the Sony, same with the AF, I know not necessary, but it is very useful when needed).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
the 8k dosent mean anything to me as I'm a still shooter. If the R6 had the build quality of the R5 I may of gone that way but If I'm shooting a wedding or landscape and get caught in the rain I need the weather sealing. I wish our CAD wasnt so bad right now ahhhhh

Where does it say the R6 isn't weather-sealed?

Upvote 0
Genuine question, what does the share price have to do with anything?
The share price haa to do with responding to someone who stepped on my comment to say that my evaluation of Canon’s marketing plan was flawed and that Canon’s real objective was increasing their share price. The share history seemed relevant IMO. If it’s not of any interest to you feel feee to ignore it.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
Never intended to buy straight away as i usually wait till the price drops and they attend to any problems, the R was a bargain price so i might go early for that 800 if its good and does not rely on software, never thought i would own an 800 but then again i never thought i would have 2 big whites guess they need a little black brother as my friends mum used to say

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
lower build quality
That’s an unfortunate choice of words from CR. It is usually taken to mean the care with which a product is assembled; the “fit and finish.” My 5DIV is made from costlier materials than my RP and my M5, and has costlier features, but it gives no indication of having superior build quality compared to the less expensive cameras.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
The one price that I do find higher than expected is for the 100-500. That seems significantly ($200?) higher than the 100-400 when it came out. Now if it is 5.6 @400 and as sharp as the current one at the long end then it might be worth it but I think I will stick with the 100-400 until this one comes down in a year or so.
EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II (higher than III) $2,099 vs EF 100-400 II $2,199. RF 70-200 f2.8 L IS $2,699 vs RF 100-500 L IS $2,699. Considering the previous price history, use and purpose I think that $2,699 was about $200 less than what we should have expected if it is the same quality as the 100-400 II.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
The prices on the 600 & 800 lead me to believe that I shouldn't expect much in terms of IQ..

The price on the 100-500 makes me wonder how it will do with the 1.4 - my 1.4 lives on my 100-400. The 7.1 plus the hit from the 1.4 is putting me in the 'if only' category.

Definitely going to wait until the shine comes off the penny for the R5. Even a few hundred will be nice. The R6 and it's tiny little resolution leaves me cold.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Has Canon ever in their history released a camera with a sensor that moves for some purpose other than shaking off dust? Honest question.

What you should be asking instead is, "How long has Canon had to perfect its IBIS design?" That's the question that would keep me up at night if I were the competition.

Upvote 0