Here are the USD prices for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and lenses

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Still better than not being able to buy either one.
But I think a little patience pays off, I am certainly not buying one until I built up the lenses, I waited half a year on the EOS R for a huge discount, almost as big as it is going to be now after these releases.
I get your point.
You will have early adopters and new adopters of the R system who will definitely not want a kit lens though (maybe they bought the same lens already, maybe they have the 24-70 2.8 already, maybe just not interested in a zoom lens, maybe they haven't saved the extra money, etc.).
If their only option to pick up an R5 is to also spend an extra $1101 on a lens that they do not want and will not be break even on the sale, people may be unhappy.
If putting two items in one box offers no incentive to the customer, might as well use two boxes.

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
Not so sure about that. Both are still great cameras and I'm in no hurry to replace either one, especially because the new prices have dropped so much. I'd rather just hang on to them and wait another year or so to see where the R5 settles in and compare it to the 5D V, which I expect will be announced in the next six months.
My 5dmIV is going up for sale. I shoot mainly landscapes and it's been wonderful but lately I'm wanting to get more into wildlife. I couldn't justify the 1d series cost (gain in fps but loss in mp) but this R5 is the cats meow offering 45mp, 12+ fps AND SO much else that I can use it for both landscapes and wildlife.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
The Sony has the weakest IBIS of all cameras with limited sensor movement possible on the narrow opening of the E-mount
So yes, I am sure with the wide RF-mount that the Canon is going to be better (probably as good as the Nikon Z series cameras, which are really good as well)

Has Canon ever in their history released a camera with a sensor that moves for some purpose other than shaking off dust? Honest question.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
How much time and how much do you think it'll drop? I'd be surprised if that price (if correct) drops more than $200 by Christmas.
Hard to say. Pandemic, sluggish economy, social distancing, cratering camera sales. By any measure those are some strong headwinds. Canon might resist lowering the price of the R5 as an elite aspirational flaghip but the R6 has to be priced to sell IMO. Canon's ultimate goal is to drive RF adoption by it's DSLR users and they need to sell R bodies to do that.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Has Canon ever in their history released a camera with a sensor that moves for some purpose other than shaking off dust? Honest question.
Has Nikon did it before the Z6 or Z7? Absolutely not, and yet, they work brilliantly.
In fact it's Sony that has build quality issues with the sensor mount, the Nikon and Panasonic cameras are built much tougher around the sensor mount.

Upvote 0
R5 is about $400 more than a7rIV. But is R5 more functional than a7rIV?
As an owner of the A7RIV, I would say the R5 definitely seems to have more video functionality that the sony and will likely be a close match in most areas for stills (resolution lower but otherwise pretty close). As soon as I can get one I'll be doing some comparisons for wildlife shooting. Big question for me still is going to be the buffer, but I've lived with the small buffer on the 5DS for a long time and although it is a bit of a pain it wasn't the end of the world.
I'll be keeping both most likely, just as I have been on both Canon and Sony for a few years now.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Canon's ultimate goal is to drive RF adoption by it's DSLR users and they need to sell RF bodies to do that.

No. Canon's ultimate goal is to make a profit and offer attractive returns to their investors so the value of their stock rises. They don't care if the imaging division is selling mirrorless or DSLRs, they just want them sell products.

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
No. Canon's ultimate goal is to make a profit and offer attractive returns to their investors so the value of their stock rises. They don't care if the imaging division is selling mirrorless or DSLRs, they just want them sell products.
Mmm...not so sure Canon would adopt that thinking on a 5 year timeline. They have to prepare for the future to meet the demands of their investors. Meaning, they need to move into mirrorless b/c that's where the future sales are going to be. Which means by default, they want people to buy into the RF systems.

Upvote 0
Canon Shares closed at $19.35 on the NYSE today. Roughly the same price they closed at 20 years ago but thanks for your insight.

Edit: Sorry. Didn't want it to sound like I was talking down to you. I guess you already knew that being as how you are such an expert on Canon share valuations and their financial plan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Is it though? The weight of the R5 is 650g whereas the Sony is 665g.
The R5 is 738g
The R6 is 680g
The A7RIV is 665g

All with a battery and a memory card of course.
You can't seriously think that the R5 is going to be lighter than the EOS R (at 660g) that has no IBIS and a single card slot.
The R6 uses a bit of plastic in some places instead of magnesium-alloy.

Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
Has Nikon did it before the Z6 or Z7? Absolutely not, and yet, they work brilliantly.
In fact it's Sony that has build quality issues with the sensor mount, the Nikon and Panasonic cameras are built much tougher around the sensor mount.

[/URL]

Yes, I know about those things. But my question was if Canon has ever done it. I'm not trying to be condescending, just asking an honest question. Like have they made a camcorder or point-and-shoot or something that I've never heard of that had moving-sensor stabilization? I have every expectation that if they're releasing a feature like this in a high-end pro camera body that they've made something good.

Upvote 0