Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Instant R5 pre-order for me. I still have some unanswered questions though... This WILL work with the EF-RF mount converter, right? I'm sitting on $25K of EF glass and not being able to use that would be a dealbreaker. Can I use my LP-E6 batteries and AC-faux-battery-plug in this thing? What kind of bitrates are the various codecs in 8K and 4K? Can it film 8K to a UHS-II SD card or must you use CFexpress?

Preordered on blind faith right now (yes I'm foolish but Canon has never let me down TOO badly, hehe), hopefully reviewers will post details like this before my preorder ships so I can catch any dealbreaking issues before it's too late.
Not sure if this is the same in other countries but in the UK, if you register with Canon CPS, you can get a free EOSR EF Adapter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So more overheating info is out in case anyone needs to factor this into their buying decision that shoots like myself 80%/20% between film/stills. I expected this to be the case with absolutely no vents/fan cooling on the R5. I think this is why the S1H is fan cooled and why Sony recently decided to leak a rumor about "passive cooling with no fans." They all realize there is no way to dissipate that heat without some form of cooling. I had hoped Canon was able to implement some form of passive cooling as well. But the devil is in the details:

You can record for this long before you need to shut the camera off to cool down:

8K 20mins
4K60 35mins
4K Oversampled 30mins

Camera still has a 29:59min recording limit and will need to press record again after each 29:59 segment.

Once overheated, you need to shut down the camera 10 mins to gain another 3 mins in 8K or shut down the camera 10mins to gain another 10mins in 4K60.

There is an overheat control in the camera that allows the screen not be updated frequently or something to that affect which may help the above limits slightly.

Apparently 4K60 can run longer as it is pixel binned and not oversampled. I think you can perhaps shoot in crop mode and not run into overheating issues.

I had high hopes for this. Overheating in 8K is ok, as I can live with that, but it is in other modes as well. I was about to pre-order this, but this is a dealbreaker for myself. This won't work for shoot docs, and events/weddings. Cumulatively speaking, if I shoot a bunch of 4K uncropped, and then a few long segments cropped, etc. will I still bounce off the overheat shutdown limit? I'm also not sure why there is still a 29:59 limit on this body. Many other manufacturer's recent bodies no longer have this limit.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Link's not working. :( Is there a way to get to this pdf through Canon's website?
Oddly enough, it wouldn't load for me either, using Safari, telling me that it was not authorised to load on this server.... but when I tried the link via Firefox, all was good. I think it must be some Region limiting attempt (I'm in the UK).

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Is IPB on the R6 a big deal? I’m on a T3i (I know, sorry). I’m a woodworker, so I focus primarily on stills for my online store and social media, but I’ve recently started making some income on YouTube since I started posting videos of my builds. I don’t know much about All-I compared to IPB, or if it’s even worth thinking about. I would like that “cinematic” look, and wonder about color grading IPB, etc. Thanks for any advice or information. I got up at 4:50am to watch the release. Woo.

Based on your use case, IPB should be just fine. I will shoot IPB just because it makes the files smaller.

Upvote 0
So more overheating info is out in case anyone needs to factor this into their buying decision that shoots like myself 80%/20% between film/stills. I expected this to be the case with absolutely no vents/fan cooling on the R5. I think this is why the S1H is fan cooled and why Sony recently decided to leak a rumor about "passive cooling with no fans." They all realize there is no way to dissipate that heat without some form of cooling. I had hoped Canon was able to implement some form of passive cooling as well. But the devil is in the details:

You can record for this long before you need to shut the camera off to cool down:

8K 20mins
4K60 35mins
4K Oversampled 30mins

Camera still has a 29:59min recording limit and will need to press record again after each 29:59 segment.

Once overheated, you need to shut down the camera 10 mins to gain another 3 mins in 8K or shut down the camera 10mins to gain another 10mins in 4K60.

There is an overheat control in the camera that allows the screen not be updated frequently or something to that affect which may help the above limits slightly.

Apparently 4K60 can run longer as it is pixel binned and not oversampled. I think you can perhaps shoot in crop mode and not run into overheating issues.

I had high hopes for this. Overheating in 8K is ok, as I can live with that, but it is in other modes as well. I was about to pre-order this, but this is a dealbreaker for myself. This won't work for shoot docs, and events/weddings. Cumulatively speaking, if I shoot a bunch of 4K uncropped, and then a few long segments cropped, etc. will I still bounce off the overheat shutdown limit? I'm also not sure why there is still a 29:59 limit on this body. Many other manufacturer's recent bodies no longer have this limit.
I think there just isn't a good way to have both cooling AND 5D-level weather sealing unfortunately - at least not with significant other compromises .

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Actually price is a very important consideration for most of us. Why is the camera so much more expensive in Europe than it is in the USA? Doesn't that seem unfair to you? The difference is far to great to be explained by VAT. The price for the body only in USA is $3,899 and the price for the body only in the UK is £4,199. At today's exchange rate the US price of $3,899 should be around £3,091. Add on the 20% VAT and the total price should be around £3,709, so why is it nearly £500 more than that? It is a huge difference.
I take it those are rhetorical questions. Perhaps it is because the U.S. is a poor country that has dropped into the 3rd world, $26 trillion short of having a penny?

Upvote 0
I think there just isn't a good way to have both cooling AND 5D-level weather sealing unfortunately - at least not with significant other compromises .

I agree. But pushing the video specs so boldly led me to believe Canon came up with some solution to handle this either via heat pipes or perhaps a vapor chamber. 10 mins of cooling gets another 3 mins of shooting in 8K. That gives you an idea on what not having any cooling solution leads too...

I absolutely cannot have the camera shut down on me in the middle of certain types of shoot. I'm sure others are in the same boat. While I have the same 29:59 limits on my A7III/RIII and A9 (which I don't shoot much video on), I have done 60mins (2 segments) of speeches in the evening after shooting 2 hours of pre-event b-roll without even seeing the overheat warning.

Maybe Canon will come up with something in a firmware to help with this after the camera is released.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I did preorder the R5 and 100-500 lens today. :D

It seems that it'll be a month or 2 before I get it, so in that time I need to get the following, and wondered if you had suggestions on them (I take mostly raw stills, but may get into video somewhat) ? :
* CFExpress card, high speed & capacity (I'll only use 1 and leave it in the camera)
* SD card, (ditto)

I'll worry about the rest, including other lenses.

Other than a much lighter wallet, this morning was a great morning! :D

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Actually price is a very important consideration for most of us. Why is the camera so much more expensive in Europe than it is in the USA? Doesn't that seem unfair to you? The difference is far to great to be explained by VAT. The price for the body only in USA is $3,899 and the price for the body only in the UK is £4,199. At today's exchange rate the US price of $3,899 should be around £3,091. Add on the 20% VAT and the total price should be around £3,709, so why is it nearly £500 more than that? It is a huge difference.
As has been said, this has been discussed to death but here is a quick breakdown.
1/ VAT 20%
2/ Import duty 5%
3/ EU/UK enforced warranty obligations. For example I believe most EU countries have a 24 month warranty, the USA get 12 months, this is a real thing that costs Canon Europe money Canon USA doesn't have to spend.
4/ Economies of scale.

So take a price of $3,899, put 5% duty on that, $4094; put 20% VAT on that because VAT gets charged on the duty too, $4,913; throw in an extra 12month warranty for a total of $5013. Or £3,972. Now adjust for the economies of scale because the USA market is a lot bigger than the UK market so it is a lot more efficient and you are barking up the wrong tree. Get over it or get on a plane and get one from B&H, it will cost you $3,899 plus sales tax, or $4,245. You can claim the sales tax back but you are then liable to pay the UK duty and VAT and you are still out the price of the flight and accommodation and should you need warranty work you will probably have to ship it back to the USA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

8K 20mins
4K60 35mins
4K Oversampled 30mins

29:59 is because of EU law. 30 minutes or higher, it is considered a camcorder so an additional tax is applied. For anything else, i agree. This seems like major dealbreaker.

Upvote 0
Tax reasons.

29:59 is because of EU law. 30 minutes or higher, it is considered a camcorder so an additional tax is applied. For anything else, i agree. This seems like major dealbreaker.

The EU import duty expired July 1st 2019. This is why the S1H, A6400, A6600, etc. no longer have this limit. I should have clarified this in my post above..

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
Precisely that...one adapter has no control ring--it's essentially an extension tube--and the other one does have a control ring on it, so your EF lenses will essentially now have the control ring that many RF lenses come with. In the US the former is priced at $100 and the latter at $200.

Having an adapter with control ring, the convenience is totally worth the 100 bucks extra.

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020

R5 is already sold out.
[/QUOTE

8K 20mins
4K60 35mins
4K Oversampled 30mins

I'm just a bit ignorant about the demand for 8k I guess. I mean do we even have computers that we can process that much data on? Or screens to view it on? I would think 4k would be sufficient for most customers? And if they demand 4k recordings for an entire event then you'd likely not be looking at a camera system like this anyway?

Upvote 0