Canon officially announces the EOS R5 and EOS R6 along with 4 new lenses and two teleconverters

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
. . . Are we seriously doing our next RF lens requests already???? :eek:

Just kidding. Mine are:

35/1.2 L ------ I don't want to jinx it, but this has to be coming soon.
14-28/2.0 L -------- let the rumors be true!
200/2.8 L ------- this lens has to be weather sealed, so I could use it for outdoor theatre and events. With excellent clarity and sharpness, and a price ~$1,500 or less, I could see myself using this instead of any 70-200. Plus, on a 45mp sensor, I could crop in easily for times when 200mm isn't enough reach.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I just checked the price of the extenders and was quite shocked. 583 Euros for the 1.4x extender and 730 Euros for the 2x extender. The EF extender were only around 400 Euros each.

There was a wee bit of sticker shock there for sure. But lets see how they perform before passing judgment on their value.

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
I just checked the price of the extenders and was quite shocked. 583 Euros for the 1.4x extender and 730 Euros for the 2x extender. The EF extender were only around 400 Euros each.

I'm a bit ignorant on euro taxes but doesn't that price include the cost of 'free' Healthcare and all the other government provided 'free' benefits?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

No idea that free health care havent called me to healthy check last 20 year :p
just joking its good to have :)
I guess sony can make better processors so their camera uses less electric . But its very good if canon got all other problems solved except power consumption .

That is a little misguided to say the Sony processors are better. By all accounts the Digic X is about as good as it gets out here and it gave the new 1DIII better battery life than the mark II.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It’s quoted “up to” 320 with the EVF, but that is in 60 fps mode, in 120 fps it’s 220. No two ways about it. CIPA rated.
Is rating the number CIPA with IBIS engaged? I can't think how else the number of shots would decrease between models despite the efficiency gains.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Put the EVF in its 120 fps mode and it drains the battery in 220 images. I think that’s an epic fail. The batteries are hugely expensive here and they last less than 2 years before losing one of the capacity bars. And I would need 3 batteries for a day out shooting . All those epic specs and the batteries are the worst of any canon ever? Come on....
I take up to 2000 of frames when I shoot theatrical. thats what 9 -10 battery changes during the performance? I cannot afford that due to risk of missing out on a shot. I need a 1000 at least on a single charge. Was hoping that a battery grip will take the maximum number of shots on a single set of batteries to 1000. 400 is not an option. I hope that someone will come up with a 4-battery grip option for R5 soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Regarding the RF 100mm -500mm lens, according to Gordon at CameraLabs, here is the breakdown of apertures across the zoom range. Not too disappointing:
  1. f/4.5: 100mm - 151mm
  2. f/5.0: 152mm - 254mm
  3. f/5.6: 255mm - 363mm
  4. f/6.3: 364mm - 472mm
  5. f/7.1: 473mm - 500mm

It would sure be nice if they had a lockout at 473mm...I'd give up a tiny bit of range for not having to worry about losing 1/3 stop.
So it isn’t at F5.6 at 400mm. I am quite confident that one of Canon EoL mentioned in Canon product presentation video the the lens is at F5.6 at 400mm. It is a product misrepresentation of it true. Sigma 100-400c and Tamron 100-400 are also at F5.6 at around 365mm but at F6.3 at 400. Well, it is not a clear cut after all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I take up to 2000 of frames when I shoot theatrical. thats what 9 -10 battery changes during the performance? I cannot afford that due to risk of missing out on a shot. I need a 1000 at least on a single charge. Was hoping that a battery grip will take the maximum number of shots on a single set of batteries to 1000. 400 is not an option. I hope that someone will come up with a 4-battery grip option for R5 soon.
After having a look at how CIPA testing supposedly works, I wonder why we even bother to mention those numbers:

" The Camera and Imaging Products Association (CIPA) set up in Japan in 2002 succeeded in developing a standardized battery-life test for digital cameras. Under the test scheme, the camera takes a photo every 30 seconds, half of them with flash and the other without. The test zooms the lens in and out all the way before a shot is taken and leaves the screen on. After every 10 shots, the camera is turned off for a while and the cycle is repeated. CIPA ratings replicate a realistic way a consumer would use a camera and most new cameras adopt the CIPA protocol to rate the runtime. " - Source

So a CIPA rating of ~ 300 shots actually means the camera is able to keep the screen / EVF and IBIS going for 300 * 30 = 9000 seconds, or 2.5 hours. Of course, the act of really taking a shot will also play a role in power consumption, but I believe the actual power to keep the screen output and stabilization circuit going continously is a far greater factor. Just compare shot numbers for DSLR when in OVF vs Live View. Despite needing to move less parts (no mirror), LiveView numbers are always far lower. So the Display is the cluprit, and in these new bodies, IBIS likely takes a similar toll, which would explain how the numbers can look worse than the R ones despite more efficient processing and increased battery capacity.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
After having a look at how CIPA testing supposedly works, I wonder why we even bother to mention those numbers:

" The Camera and Imaging Products Association (CIPA) set up in Japan in 2002 succeeded in developing a standardized battery-life test for digital cameras. Under the test scheme, the camera takes a photo every 30 seconds, half of them with flash and the other without. The test zooms the lens in and out all the way before a shot is taken and leaves the screen on. After every 10 shots, the camera is turned off for a while and the cycle is repeated. CIPA ratings replicate a realistic way a consumer would use a camera and most new cameras adopt the CIPA protocol to rate the runtime. " - Source

So a CIPA rating of ~ 300 shots actually means the camera is able to keep the screen / EVF and IBIS going for 300 * 30 = 9000 seconds, or 2.5 hours. Of course, the act of really taking a shot will also play a role in power consumption, but I believe the actual power to keep the screen output and stabilization circuit going continously is a far greater factor. Just compare shot numbers for DSLR when in OVF vs Live View. Despite needing to move less parts (no mirror), LiveView numbers are always far lower. So the Display is the cluprit, and in these new bodies, IBIS likely takes a similar toll, which would explain how the numbers can look worse than the R ones despite more efficient processing and increased battery capacity.
Ok thanks for this information. So considering I am shooting in continues AF mode, Taking photos in a short series of 2-3 at a time , zone AF, TV not using rear screen, using EVF only in 120Hz mode, over approximately 1hour periods between breaks. ..what is you take on the number of shots (R5) I may expect out of a set of batteries in a grip?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

Canon states that the R5 and R6 allow powering over USB-PD, so you can plug in a huge powerbank and it will use that and not really drain the battery in the camera.

That's how I parsed the claims, I would be very happy if that turns out to be the case.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

All fine and dandy, but the R is rated to 350’ish images, CIPA. And this exactly what I get. I don’t get three or four times that at all.

Upvote 0
R: 370 shots (LCD), 350 shots (VF) (1,865 mAh)
R5: "around 320 with the EVF"
Thanks very much for the info. I was curious because with my EOS R I was able to take 2200 photos and it only used half of the battery charge in the battery grip.

The difference in CIPA numbers between the R and R5 aren't as bad as I thought. Chances are I'll still easily get over 1000 shots with a battery grip on the R5.. right?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Canon states that the R5 and R6 allow powering over USB-PD, so you can plug in a huge powerbank and it will use that and not really drain the battery in the camera.

That's how I parsed the claims, I would be very happy if that turns out to be the case.
Yeah. Gotcha. I shoot with a pair of 5D4s. So.. it would require a suit case sized power bank in a backpack on my back? And me running and gunning ... I can clearly see that :)

Upvote 0