Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
At Camera Pro where I pre-ordered it, they also have a bonus EF-RF adapter.
These little addons may work as a last straw for some potential buyers, they create an illusion of a greater value than they really are :)

Yes, when ones add up the battery, strap and adapter, the R5 no longer appears more expensive then overseas markets.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
At Camera Pro where I pre-ordered it, they also have a bonus EF-RF adapter.
These little addons may work as a last straw for some potential buyers, they create an illusion of a greater value than they really are :)
Yeah, when I got the R one shop offered a free battery and adapter while everyone else was selling with just the adapter.

So far I have not seen any exclusive to a store offers here in Canada.

Upvote 0
I am quite shocked how negative reviewers could get. E.g. Tony & Chelsea Northrup - did not those guys say stuff like - no way 8K is more than a timelapse mode? Now they seem to rave about the overheating. They should rent C200 for the 4K/60 stable performance though and not complain about the production level stuff with the small MILC camera of any brand, even if those might be regarded being professional ...

Arrgh why did you make me watch Tony again :)
I completely 'banned' TonyN from my youtube after his hilarious profanation on diffraction in photography. I realised the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
In this video, he basically says nothing but 'we don't know yet if the R5 is good or bad', and Chelsea just echoing him. Zero information.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I completely 'banned' TonyN from my youtube after his hilarious profanation on diffraction in photography. I realised the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
In this video, he basically says nothing but 'we don't know yet if the R5 is good or bad', and Chelsea just echoing him. Zero information.
Tony & Chelsea are not for listening. They look much better if you turn the sound off.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sorry to ruin your day. So here's much more balanced point of view from Armando Ferreira :)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Since everyone on the internet is screaming "overheating" (at least they found a different word this time, "crippled" wasn't fun anymore) i'll post the latest temp limits by Canon.

8K Raw 20 minutes, 4k120p 15 minutes, 4k60p 35 minutes, 4k30 (8.2k oversampling 30 minutes), 4k 30p not limited by heat.

All in a fully weathersealed body. Let's see if someone else can do better.
4K 30p (25p in my case) not limited? Nice. Do you got the specs for the R6?

Upvote 0
I certainly won’t give them free promotion by wearing the R5 jacket if I have one. I never use their camera straps.

The RRP for the R5 in Australia is A$7099. Some local retailers already dropped it to around A$6500, and includes a lucky strap and battery.

From what a couple reps have told me, Canon AU no longer set/advertise RRP for cameras/ lenses. I get the impression it is a bit of a free for all at the beginning when new gear is released. DigiDrect had the R5 preorder price at AU$6300ish at one stage but has now settled a couple hundred higher.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I watched the Tony & Chelsea Northrup video and was quite frustrated with them. They tried to come over as not negative but sorry, they clearly were negative and haven't even tested it yet. All Chelsea seemed to want is for Canon to give her one to test as she thought it was terrible that Canon would only give pre production versions to Ambassadors and not to independent reviewers.

Why on earth would Canon or any manufacturer want to give Production cameras to people who don't work for them or have links with them??

Me thinks think you do protest too much Mr & Mrs Northrup!! :sneaky:
The faux outrage is strong with those two. So is the self-importance and lack of valuable content. Just sayin...;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I am quite shocked how negative reviewers could get. E.g. Tony & Chelsea Northrup - did not those guys say stuff like - no way 8K is more than a timelapse mode? Now they seem to rave about the overheating. They should rent C200 for the 4K/60 stable performance though and not complain about the production level stuff with the small MILC camera of any brand, even if those might be regarded being professional ...

I've got to agree For the majority of videos they do that are tutorials, I find them quite enjoyable but over the last few months their review / News videos have all had a Bias towards Sony and an underlying negative tone towards canon.

I found Chelsea's attitude in this video awful, just like a spoilt child. Canon give me a camera to test!! NOW!!. Get a life and maybe concentrate on tutorials and not reviews.

If I was Canon, or Sony or Panasonic etc. I wouldn't give them a camera to test before it was released. Why would you unless you want to kill sales.

Grouchy rant over. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
From what a couple reps have told me, Canon AU no longer set/advertise RRP for cameras/ lenses. I get the impression it is a bit of a free for all at the beginning when new gear is released. DigiDrect had the R5 preorder price at AU$6300ish at one stage but has now settled a couple hundred higher.

The R5 price on the Canon online store is A$7099. The local stores typically quoted it as the RRP.

Yes, some local stores are dropping their preorder prices to around A$6500.

Upvote 0
Yes, when ones add up the battery, strap and adapter, the R5 no longer appears more expensive then overseas markets.

Well the second battery is very useful (basically it's a must, although I already have 2 old-gen spare batteries for 5DIV) and the adapter is a must for me as I'm not going to buy any RF glass anytime soon. So those things definitely save about $300 for me, but the limited edition strap? Come on!

Yeah, when I got the R one shop offered a free battery and adapter while everyone else was selling with just the adapter.
I think Canon should be giving adapters (at least the cheapest plain ones) for free along with R5 or R6 purchases. Which I recall they did for the R in some regions, but it should continue with the R5 and R6.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I've got to agree For the majority of videos they do that are tutorials, I find them quite enjoyable but over the last few months their review / News videos have all had a Bias towards Sony and an underlying negative tone towards canon.

I found Chelsea's attitude in this video awful, just like a spoilt child. Canon give me a camera to test!! NOW!!. Get a life and maybe concentrate on tutorials and not reviews.

If I was Canon, or Sony or Panasonic etc. I wouldn't give them a camera to test before it was released. Why would you unless you want to kill sales.

Grouchy rant over. ;)
Just ignore them and don't click on their YouTube. They have got a life, a very good one, paid for by your clicks.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Not complaining but just wonder why there is no Clog2 or Clog3 on the R5?

is that how Canon protects the Cinema line?
I don't know the answer but it crossed my mind too. My mind is totally at ease though, I receive enough for my money that I don't dare criticize any longer.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Well the second battery is very useful (basically it's a must, although I already have 2 old-gen spare batteries for 5DIV) and the adapter is a must for me as I'm not going to buy any RF glass anytime soon. So those things definitely save about $300 for me, but the limited edition strap? Come on!

I think Canon should be giving adapters (at least the cheapest plain ones) for free along with R5 or R6 purchases. Which I recall they did for the R in some regions, but it should continue with the R5 and R6.

Yup, the strap would be useless to me.

I got the free AF-EF adapter when I bought my R from JB HiFi.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
"Future R5 firmware updates plan to add 1080/120p, lower bitrate options for RAW and IPB in all recording modes, and Canon Log 3."

Looks like an even more serious hybrid camera, no such firmware updates planned for the R6

In general: don’t buy something for the specs the manufacturer says they’ll implement in the future, only buy it for what it does now.

Upvote 0