Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

You realize a 135/1.4 would need only a slightly smaller front element diameter than a 300/2.8? Are you prepared to pay $8K for that 135/1.4? The RF 135mm L might be f/1.8, but it will not be f/1.4. That's fantasyland.

It would definitely be a wild focal length for f/1.4, but Canon has been making some wild lenses lately. I wouldn't put it past them to make a new chase lens to surpass the 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.2 for portrait photographers. Sports and wildlife photographers have been treated to insane, fast lenses for awhile now. Here's a 135mm f1.4 shot, and it looks incredible.
zhongyi_mitakon_135_1.4_sample_22.jpg

Upvote 0
This "overheating Issue" is getting tiresome.

The Camera is not overheating, it appears to be activating it's thermal protection protocols and warning the user to stop recording or let the camera cool off. If the user chooses to ignore the thermal protection warning then the Camera will shut off to protect itself. This is a feature of the system and appears to have been well tested as there are stated limits included in what I assume is the manual.

If the cameras are cooking themselves without a user facing warning or protection that in my mind is an overheat. If the system is randomly shutting off due to heat that is an overheat.

I choose to assume that Canon being historically careful about the quality and MTBF on their systems the protection protocols are aggressive to ensure the heat soaking of the system is well below the component damaging limits.

In my day job at Avigilon we test Cameras all the time in Thermotron chambers and I have seen my fair share of platforms that do not trigger thermal protection (mostly hikvision) and just cook @60 degrees Celsius.

IMO this has been just way overblown
Yes I’m sure your right. When the director asks why his set is shut down and he can’t shoot you can tell him that everything is fine because the camera shut down before it overheated. Honestly, I have no idea what the extent of the problem is but pretending there isn’t a problem rarely helps IME.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Yes I’m sure your right. When the director asks why his set is shut down and he can’t shoot you can tell him that everything is fine because the camera shut down before it overheated. Honestly, I have no idea what the extent of the problem is but pretending there isn’t a problem rarely helps IME.

Did you watch one of the other videos posted earlier. Guy was one of the people shooting on pro sets. He says even for RED they have 3-4 units lined up to shoot with because they crap out on them. He said if it's being used on a pro set, there would be several of them to work around the thermal time limits. I don't think any of us should pretend we know what it's like on a set unless we've had that experience.

The higher end settings have time-based thermal limits. Can that be an issue in some situations? Perhaps. But is that a "problem" in the way you're portraying? I don't think so, personally.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Did you watch one of the other videos posted earlier. Guy was one of the people shooting on pro sets. He says even for RED they have 3-4 units lined up to shoot with because they crap out on them. He said if it's being used on a pro set, there would be several of them to work around the thermal time limits. I don't think any of us should pretend we know what it's like on a set unless we've had that experience.

The higher end settings have time-based thermal limits. Can that be an issue in some situations? Perhaps. But is that a "problem" in the way you're portraying? I don't think so, personally.
I’m not portraying anything. I was speakiing to the spectacle of Canon’s treasured new camera depicted as going up in flames in dozens of YouTube videos. If you think that’s helpful to Canon’s interests I don’t know what else to say. Find another straw man

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Let's face it as sure as eggs are eggs there are two things that always happen when Canon release a new camera 1. Their example pics are shit. 2. The internet has to find it's Achilles heal something.... Anything.... Please God let me be the one that finds the fatal flaw..,... Please let me be the people's hero...

Never been happier that I am not deep into video work. 2-3x a year somebody asks me to pull something together on my 5D4. I use it's "unworkable" crop, it's "unworkable" codec, and the only thing anyone ever says about the image is "Wow, that's super crisp! That looks amazing!" I'm a hobbyist, so it's not like my demands are super high, but the R5 is the first camera (well, certainly first from canon) that's giving me basically everything I want (resolution, speed, AF, silent shooting), with a ton of situational extras, some that have compromises. All for the low price of $3800 and a slice of some humble pie for when I made fun of Sony 4 years ago.

Even though a lot of the YouTube personalities are ostensibly working photographers, I get the feeling they're thinking about their personal needs as vloggers rather than the needs of their audience. I have heard zero people on YouTube (minus the explorers, of course) who are talking about what a phenomenal upgrade for stills this is, and the flexibility it affords an occasional video shooter. Instead, it's a never ending stream of "by video guys for video guys" vloggers very conveniently forgetting canon makes an entire cinema line just for the needs of video pros. You don't see me bitching about the stills performance of an URSA on the Black Magic Design forums. I'm tired of hearing about the S1H (poor af, slower stills, lower resolution, larger, heavier, *more expensive* and requires active cooling!) and the mythical A7S3 by thirsty YT stars who think they're gonna shoot their Netflix-produced masterpiece on a single $2500 camera.

If I have to hear the phrase "cripple hammer" one more time…

/rant

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
If I told the Director I just had one camera I would already be fired. Come on...

Please define Problem

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I’m not portraying anything. I was speakiing to the spectacle of Canon’s treasured new camera depicted as going up in flames in dozens of YouTube videos. If you think that’s helpful to Canon’s interests I don’t know what else to say. Find another straw man
It might have been depicted as going up in flames on You Tube videos , but this has all been by people who have never put their hands on one , until people start using it in the real world its all BS .

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
You're probably one of those who put tape over the logo on the top front of the camera, aren't you? Because you think you're such an influential photographer and all that they should pay you to use their gear?

Nope. I’ve found their straps are not comfortable hence I have the SportRapid strap and SpiderProd hand strap.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015

Who is going to be using this "on set" as an A CAM? Am I way off base here? Who is shooting on set, with a director, etc on a single $3800 camera body? Is studio city really filled up with DPs who are like "yeah, gimme that S1H for my Netflix shoot!" You use the video features on a camera like this situationally. I'm sorry Canon didn't give the world a R5c, and they oversold it to a degree. (And before bashing 'canon marketing' again lets not forget their entire launch plan got thrown out the window by a global pandemic)

I'm being pretty defensive here, but the above question is an honest one: Am I just way off base about the realities of modern video production?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Who is going to be using this "on set" as an A CAM? Am I way off base here? Who is shooting on set, with a director, etc on a single $3800 camera body? Is studio city really filled up with DPs who are like "yeah, gimme that S1H for my Netflix shoot!"

You use the video features on a camera like this situationally. I'm sorry Canon didn't give the world a R5c, and they oversold it to a degree. (And before bashing 'canon marketing' again lets not forget their entire launch plan got thrown out the window by a global pandemic)
Exactly. And that point was made in Armando’s video very well.

Upvote 0
If I told the Director I just had one camera I would already be fired. Come on...

Please define Problem
Define the problem? Have you ever been involved in a product launch? If not I can assure you that videos depicting your product going up in flames are not desirable. Making important influencers pissed of at you; also not desirable. Do I really need to explain this to you. It seems pretty basic.
It doesn’t matter right now what the reality is. By the time we know that too many people will already have made up their minds. Obviously you’ve made up yours so that’s all I have to say on it. Feel free to have the last word.

• Haha
Upvote 0
The simple solution is more than one body, and a chiller for the one that's cooling down. Like swapping out batteries instead of shutting down waiting for your only battery to recharge. Even a little forced air tent, powered by a camera battery, would reduce recovery time.
Having 2 cameras and underwater housings was the only solution if you wanted more than 36 shots underwater in one dive! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Nothing screams, "Presumptuous photographer who likes to taunt overpriced branding" like anyone wearing a Black Rapid strap with the bright yellow "BR" logo prominently displayed on the upper left chest of the wearer.

I am a practical person. I like Canon gears but I like my wallet too.

Let’s flip the coin, how do you feel if the R5 price in your country is $1000 more than other overseas markets? Will you happily get one knowingly the price isn’t parity against global markets?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

korbar

Preordering Fool?
Jul 7, 2020
Who is going to be using this "on set" as an A CAM? Am I way off base here? Who is shooting on set, with a director, etc on a single $3800 camera body? Is studio city really filled up with DPs who are like "yeah, gimme that S1H for my Netflix shoot!" You use the video features on a camera like this situationally. I'm sorry Canon didn't give the world a R5c, and they oversold it to a degree. (And before bashing 'canon marketing' again lets not forget their entire launch plan got thrown out the window by a global pandemic)

I'm being pretty defensive here, but the above question is an honest one: Am I just way off base about the realities of modern video production?
No one. No one is trying to use this as an 8K A Cam, if that was their hope they obviously aren't serious about video work. I honestly don't even think they oversold it. If this is basically a 5D5 but Mirrorless I'm more than happy.
There are far more limitations that all mirrorless cameras have as an A cam on any real set. If I was doing long form interviews or anything chances are I'd still be grabbing GH5's or C200s if I wanted something like that. I'd sooner upscale 4K than ever shoot a long interview in 8K.

The 8K options, especially raw make for a super compelling option for people getting into visual effects. You're getting a lot of resolution and latitude in a small package and that's INCREDIBLE for doing comps and such. That's one example of a killer use for this 8K.

And you definitely aren't doing 20+ minute single cut comps at 8K with visual effects.

This is also a great option for a special case camera on a set. Stunts, interior of stunt cars, places where the camera could potentially be wasted. Why not chuck a tiny camera capable of getting a couple takes in 8K raw on a car you're going to launch across a river or something? hahaha

I'll keep saying it. Canon knocked out just about every gottdang ask that everyone had for a "pro" stills mirrorless body and gave us some killer options at the upper end of video. The camera is gonna rule. It's solid.
And anyone still comparing it to an A7SIII is pointless too, that's a dedicated video camera with(likely) a 12MP sensor. Who cares, apples and oranges.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
You have figured it all out.

If your set has a director, lighting ataff etc, likely actors, and shoots 8K or 4K120 video (with related production costs) this is exactly the video camera for you (and don't forget to bring only one and shoot internally).

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0