Canon officially announces the EOS R5 and EOS R6 along with 4 new lenses and two teleconverters

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
Regarding the RF 100mm -500mm lens, according to Gordon at CameraLabs, here is the breakdown of apertures across the zoom range. Not too disappointing:
  1. f/4.5: 100mm - 151mm
  2. f/5.0: 152mm - 254mm
  3. f/5.6: 255mm - 363mm
  4. f/6.3: 364mm - 472mm
  5. f/7.1: 473mm - 500mm

It would sure be nice if they had a lockout at 473mm...I'd give up a tiny bit of range for not having to worry about losing 1/3 stop.
These are presumably the displayed apertures and not actual apertures, which undoubtedly change as a continuous function of focal length.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Canon states that the R5 and R6 allow powering over USB-PD, so you can plug in a huge powerbank and it will use that and not really drain the battery in the camera.

Where did you see this? I can't see anything in any of the official specs that say anything about this - only that you can charge the battery with a USB PD charger as before on the EOS R.

One word of caution, the new LP-E6NH batteries do work in the current EOS R but cannot be charged in-camera. Only the LP-E6N batteries can be charged inside the EOS R!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Where did you see this? I can't see anything in any of the official specs that say anything about this - only that you can charge the battery with a USB PD charger as before on the EOS R.

I've only heard it being said during the presentations, "Charging and powering". Let's hope the manuals get published this week!

One word of caution, the new LP-E6NH batteries do work in the current EOS R but cannot be charged in-camera. Only the LP-E6N batteries can be charged inside the EOS R!
So glad my RP used LP-E17s which I can share with my M6II :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0