Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Aug 26, 2015
The 5D4 and R are more than capable for landscape. Why would one upgrade from these cameras to the R6 and R5 just for landscape? The R5 is over kill for such use case. There are much cheaper options readily available if they need more resulotion.
The dynamic range is a full stop better (or at least two stops better compared to the 5DsR), basically very close to the Sony (but it's not a Sony) and the resolution is higher as well.
So yes,very much an upgrade for landscape photography.

What about cityscape photography? Handheld 2 seconds exposure with the IBIS, no problem (probably quite a bit better than Sony). Huge difference, could be great for shooting waterfalls as well.

But of course you know everyone else's mind better and they are stupid to upgrade to the R5 unless they shoot 12fps all day, so I'll stop here.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
The dynamic range is a full stop better (or at least two stops better compared to the 5DsR), basically very close to the Sony (but it's not a Sony) and the resolution is higher as well.
So yes,very much an upgrade for landscape photography.

What about cityscape photography? Handheld 2 seconds exposure with the IBIS, no problem (probably quite a bit better than Sony). Huge difference, could be great for shooting waterfalls as well.

But of course you know everyone else's mind better and they are stupid to upgrade to the R5 unless they shoot 12fps all day, so I'll stop here.
Yeah I pre-ordered the R5 and I shoot mainly landscapes. I upgraded for the all reasons you point out plus I like to print really large prints on Aluminum or acrylic.

Besides after the $2800 cdn I got for my EOS R kit the cost to me of $3200 is awesome. The RF 24-105 had not been on the R since I got the RF 70-200 and the RF 15-35. My RF 35 lives on my RP now but I am looking forward to being able to balance the R5 with 35 on my Ronin SC (could never get the 15-35 to Balance:( ) and not have a crop in 4k for "macro" product clips. I see a gold mine for 4K Slow-mo Stock clips in my future:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Canon has repeatedly said that they are listening to feedback, and planning on adding new functionality via firmware. This request is a bit buried in the thread, so they may never find it!
I am not sure what official channels there are too get feedback to Canon, but you may want to try responding to one of their YouTube videos or social media pages with this request?
Or we could create a dedicated thread for feature requests that is less "discussion" oriented and in a nice organized list for Canon to evaluate?

Edit: I created a thread for users to add their feature requests in the forum: "Dear Canon... R5 and R6 Firmware Upgrade and Feature Requests".
Where is this forum, and how do I access it? FYI: I am currently not a Canon owner. But I have ordered the R5 and RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1 L IS lens at B&H so I will be a Canon owner soon. I have copied my request in a post to the new CanonRumors thread that started today about firmware updates.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah I pre-ordered the R5 and I shoot mainly landscapes. I upgraded for the all reasons you point out plus I like to print really large prints on Aluminum or acrylic.

Besides after the $2800 cdn I got for my EOS R kit the cost to me of $3200 is awesome. The RF 24-105 had not been on the R since I got the RF 70-200 and the RF 15-35. My RF 35 lives on my RP now but I am looking forward to be able to balance it on my Ronin SC and the R5 and not have a crop in 4k for "macro" product shots.
Those two zooms are the ones I am planning to get as well, if I sell the 28-70/2 and 24-105/4.

Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
Maybe a stupid question but why would you film long interviews at 8K?
The data volume is quite intense: ~1TB per hour of video per camera.
For now, I could see 8K mostly in cinematographic workflow where people film scenes of a few min at a time.

I deliver at 4K. 8K would give me latitude in editing to reframe or zoom in and still deliver 4K without quality loss. It also lets me do software oversampling.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
That's interesting. I thought focus bracketing (at least in theory) is done to get everything in focus. So the automatic bracketing should know the DoF for the given focal length, aperture and starting focusing distance and correctly estimate the required steps.
No, you have to focus on the starting distance (which is difficult), the right step size (which is a guess), and the number of steps to do (which is a guess). And you can only hope that the bracket ends at a good spot. It's extremely frustrating! That's why I want to have the added option to focus on the middle of the bracket (eg. using eye AF or manual focus for the eye of a bug) and have that be the middle of the bracket. Then no matter what step size and #steps I choose, it will always get that eye in focus in the middle of the bracket. This seems so obvious, it's amazing that it's not already the way that it's implemented.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A One stop of improvement at high (Over 6400) ISO over R sensor is a pipe dream. That’s would be just crazy. :)

That's unlikely to happen. :( Canon claims a one stop DR improvement against the R and 5DIV, but that'll be at the base ISO I guess. It'll converge to the same curve as other cameras at ISO 6400. Looking forward to seeing the photonstophotos measurements.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Where is this forum, and how do I access it? FYI: I am currently not a Canon owner. But I have ordered the R5 and RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1 L IS lens at B&H so I will be a Canon owner soon. I have copied my request in a post to the new CanonRumors thread that started today about firmware updates.

Hi,
I just created the thread here on Canon Rumors. If anyone knows how to then get this consolidated information over to Canon, and the thread actually contains valuable suggestions, I am sure they will do so. I added your idea to the list of sample ideas, but feel free to elaborate (I was not taking credit for any of the ideas, just consolidating in one place).
It's under Forums>Gear Talk>EOS R Series Camera Discussion RP, R, R5, R6>Dear Canon... R5 and R6 Firmware Upgrade and Feature Requests
Direct URL: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...-firmware-upgrade-and-feature-requests.38815/

I am greatly looking forward to using the R5 and 100-500!

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I have said multiple times that I have no doubt how good both R6 and R5.

I know the R5 is as sharp or sharper then the 5DS camera. But where did you see that it's 50% better than the 5D4?

Not sure about you but most if not all landscape photographers that I know almost always use tripod for their landscape shoot.

The question was "why would you consider an upgrade if you're a landscape shooter" and those were some ideas right off the top of my head. If you are always on a tripod and don't need the resolution bump, totally get it.

The 50% is just the increase from 30 -> 45 mp. It's a ballpark, but generally when folks have looked at the higher res Nikon/Sony bodies, there's a clear improvement vs the 5D4. The AA filter's aggressiveness is TBD, but even if it was somehow unchanged from the 5D4, you're still playing with a lot more pixels.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Hi,
I just created the thread here on Canon Rumors. If anyone knows how to then get this consolidated information over to Canon, and the thread actually contains valuable suggestions, I am sure they will do so. I added your idea to the list of sample ideas, but feel free to elaborate (I was not taking credit for any of the ideas, just consolidating in one place).
It's under Forums>Gear Talk>EOS R Series Camera Discussion RP, R, R5, R6>Dear Canon... R5 and R6 Firmware Upgrade and Feature Requests
Direct URL: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...-firmware-upgrade-and-feature-requests.38815/

I am greatly looking forward to using the R5 and 100-500!
OK - I saw how you organized it, and edited it into succinct suggestions. It looks good. It was kind of sad to read there that Canon really doesn't look at these threads, as that kind of "takes the wind out of my sails" since I had hoped they would. I guess it's easy to say you listen to your customers, but a lot harder to actually do it. But I guess one can only hope that things can be seen and that they get even better.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
OK - I saw how you organized it, and edited it into succinct suggestions. It looks good. It was kind of sad to read there that Canon really doesn't look at these threads, as that kind of "takes the wind out of my sails" since I had hoped they would. I guess it's easy to say you listen to your customers, but a lot harder to actually do it. But I guess one can only hope that things can be seen and that they get even better.
I work for a large company and I can tell you 100% these kinds of threads are looked at for sure, acted upon is another story. Put it this way free consumer feedback is a gift of the social media age that successful companies leverage for sure. All the Product Managers I work with are always hiding in the wings of forums, twitter, Facebook etc...

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm trying to find good deal on it.
I've often thought about this lens (and the future? 70-135 f2). But I worry that it's so big & heavy that I wouldn't want to use it after all, or that it might scare other people. Does that worry you?

Maybe I just need to see if I can find one to hold so I could better consider it. I happen to be retired with a budget to indulge my camera hobby, so cost is not the issue - I just want to make sure I use it after the thrill of buying it wears off.

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
Not sure if it's been posted, but just noticed the expected availability date for the 100-500mm now reads October 1 on B&H's site. I was hoping for an early September date, but looks like we might not even get it in that month. Guess I'll have to be patient, but a 2 month wait between the R5 and getting the lens I desperately need will be rough :LOL:

Edit: Looks like Amazon has September 30th.

I preordered the R5 kit and the 100-500 from Amazon. 5% back using their card. Mmm good! But yeah the waiting sucks.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I've often thought about this lens (and the future? 70-135 f2). But I worry that it's so big & heavy that I wouldn't want to use it after all, or that it might scare other people. Does that worry you?

Maybe I just need to see if I can find one to hold so I could better consider it. I happen to be retired with a budget to indulge my camera hobby, so cost is not the issue - I just want to make sure I use it after the thrill of buying it wears off.
I do not own the 28-70 but I have used the Lens a few times and it is BIG. I actually like as heavy of a Camera bag as I can carry so the weight does not bother me at all so I cannot really speak to that.

Two thing I did notice with this BIG lens on my R
  1. People notice it for sure
    1. When they notice it they either respond by thinking you are a PRO and often ask questions (Not unwelcome if I am not actively shooting) or they shy away and stop acting as they normally would. This is not a street photographers lens:)
  2. 95mm filter size is a hassle,
    1. I use the Lee 100 Filter system and while Lee makes a 95mm holder ring there is not a Wide angle option so this would not work for me.
    2. I also use PolarPro Circular ND's and again no 95mm option
I use the 15-35 and the 70-200 all the time and love both these options but I really like the idea of having a zoom with prime like speed for walking about. I might settle for the 24-70 but the pure exotic nature of the 28-70 is so intriguing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I work for a large company and I can tell you 100% these kinds of threads are looked at for sure, acted upon is another story. Put it this way free consumer feedback is a gift of the social media age that successful companies leverage for sure. All the Product Managers I work with are always hiding in the wings of forums, twitter, Facebook etc...
All we can do is try! If Canon does decide to act on our feedback, we will be ready with lots of ideas to make these cameras even more special!

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012

My current normal sports event is 1dx and ef 70-200 F2.8, for some 8 hours (with breaks). Assuming the body and lens ergonomics allow for proper arm position, I'm not too worried.

I haven't used one though. Those who have, can you comment on size compared to e.g. Sigma 85/1.4 ?

Upvote 0