Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I get there's a small niche that needs a) full frame b) 4k60 full width c) unlimited recording. Perhaps not a stills camera hybrid is the camera for you. at least for now.

What I think the problem is that some thought they could get the equivalent of a $20,000 cinema camera for $4,000 and are now bitter that their dreams didn't come true.
Agree with your statement but I am going to KEEP drilling home the external recording thing.

40K60 “unlimited” is absolutely possible with both The R5 and R6 if used with the proper professional equipment...... although no one can seem to offer any situation where anyone would shoot in such a format for THIRTY MINUTES STRAIGHT. ....

But if you need to? Buy one of these.
3B47F22A-9BA8-400B-8725-0B2F63D134FE.jpeg

My R6 was on preorder the moment the link hit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I am a current xt3 user and never realized that the overheating limits were even lower

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t4-vs-x-t3-overheating-tested/

Never ran into this probably because I typically shoot small clips (travel videos)
I think this is what most users would expect to get without overheating, short clips but some just can't wrap their head around the physics of heat transfer and generation. I guess we should be compassionate in dealing with those who are mentally challenged.;)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It's not hard to solve the overheating issue. You could attach the camera to something like a battery grip with a heat transfer pad in between or a thicker metal mount that will dissipate the heat from the camera body. The one thing I don't like about the overall specs is the 29.59min limit which I think is not related to the heat issue.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I don’t see anything about 8K video there but if that’s the one that fits your needs just click the “Buy” button, that camera is already available.
Yeah, the following is the Micro 4/3 language for 80K/30 RAW and 4:2:2 10bit. :D /S.

MOV/H.265 4:2:0 10-Bit
6K 3:2 (5952 x 3968) at 23.976p/24.00p [200 Mb/s]

Upvote 0
I remeber using a Sony camera that CONSTANTLY overheated when taking 4k video and it almost burned my hand.
The 30 minute limit is because of EU rules and the tax on video cameras versus still cameras.

I think the heat limits re 8k and 4k 120fps is remarkably good all things considered.

Upvote 0
Good catch, I was imprecise. EOS R only does with 1.8x crop, 8-bit, UHD. That is even more limiting, in my mind, than how the R5 implements 8K, and none of those limitations exist at 4K 30p non-HQ.
so buy an R5 and have it work for 20 minutes before it bakes itself into submission...

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
No in-body RF flash transmitter (does IR focus assist even work?) and flash sync speed is still 1/200 :p
I am pretty sure that the X-Sync is up to 1/250 in The First curtain electronic shutter mode? Noted that while going through the specs of R5 which is a very nice feature indeed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I am primarily a photographer
The disappointment is pretty obvious
Many of us thought canon had truly aced the competition by introducing a camera with insane specs and no crippling
canon even made clear that the video specs were not limited in anyway before the official release.
But there maybe a subtle catch
The thermal issues seem to be the rate limiting step

we will have to see the actual reviews to see how this plays out
++++ canon even made clear that the video specs were not limited in anyway before the official release.

A.M.: did they say that? Could you please please advise the source of this intel? Thank you.

++++The thermal issues seem to be the rate limiting step

A.M.: do you think that overheating is a deliberate product limitation to protect their cinema line of cameras? :D

Upvote 0
I don’t know why you’re rambling about “video production”
I bird, safari and scuba dive

On safari I might wait hours before I see what I’m interested in and then will shoot or video for quite sometime

eg I shot a cheetah kill. The video segments of the hunt, the eating and such were all 10 min or so segments. They were all back to back. I would not be able to just turn off my camera to cool it down.

Everyone does something different with their camera. This heating issue may or may not be an issue for folks. We will just have to see the actual reviews to get a sense of this

I guess what described above is an absurd scenario, perhaps only in a zoo!
I trust you have photographed a cheetah hunting in the wild, and you know that after chasing the prey, it bites to the neck and waits at least 20 some minutes to recover from the chase to cool down, and then at least 30 more minutes to eat it. The chase itself is always less than 20 seconds and these segments are not back to back. I guess the R5 with all the presumed 8K shooting limitations, can fit well to this scenario, the camera can cool down as the cheetah cools down!!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I guess what described above is an absurd scenario, perhaps only in a zoo!
I trust you have photographed a cheetah hunting in the wild, and you know that after chasing the prey, it bites to the neck and waits at least 20 some minutes to recover from the chase to cool down, and then at least 30 more minutes to eat it. The chase itself is always less than 20 seconds and these segments are not back to back. I guess the R5 with all the presumed 8K shooting limitations, can fit well to this scenario, the camera can cool down as the cheetah cools down!!

From your description, it looks like the R5 was designed specifically for shooting feasting cheetahs. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
As a still shooters who hopes to use the 8K RAW at 30 fps to grab frames of fast moving subjects I am not too concerned with the recording limits. I would likely only use the function for 20-30 seconds at a time and can work within the limitations.
Probably like a lot of stills shooters who occasionally shoots video, Im pretty happy about the video options on the R5, which on the R I haven't used much due to it being cropped a fair bit. I can see me using the 4k 30p but like you, the idea of being able to grab a frame at 35mp from an 8k video is amazing.

The one fly in the ointment though, is currently the quality isn't good enough on the R so I have no idea how to do this and each time I upload video taken on the R to Lightroom, it tells me it isn't supported.

Any tips would be appreciated but meanwhile, I can feel a session on Google and You tube coming on to figure this out. :sneaky:

Upvote 0
Would've been great to have an internal water-cooling loop hooked up to the base-plate of the camera or something similar to dissipate the heat seeing as they didn't want to have a fan or external cooling ports.

Probably wouldn't solve the problem completely, but it would open the way for accessories to be added to the bottom of the camera to act as heat sinks.

but either way, I cant see this being too much of a problem for most people. I wont be shooting in 8k pretty much ever, but the 4k 120 will get a bit of use. the amount of data that it generates, never mind anything else, is colossal.

My Inspire 2 x7 can shoot 6k RAW with similar bitrates (480gb drive fills in about 20mins), but I only use it on very special occasions when I need maximum quality, and for short 30second bursts, because its just too much data for myself, or to handover to a client.

My most used codec would be proress422 because thats generally plenty, so you can imagine with the R5, 4k with IPB compression will cover most scenarios.

Upvote 0