Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

How about cold? How well does the R5/6 deal with -40 temperatures? Is there a temperature where the heat dissipation from the camera balances with the environmental temperature and there is no overheating?

True. But prepare a large CExpress storage. Once you're out of storage and it stops recording, the camera freezes for all eternity.

Upvote 0
People focus here, we are suppose to be either praising or bashing Canon Cameras. We can all focus on RED cameras next week:)

I think more people will be talking about RED soon that shoot video because of the upcoming Komodo that has an RF mount, a rumored Sony sensor, PDAF continuous AF, a global shutter and shoots up to 6K40 in R3D or ProRes and doesn't overheat :p Also takes cfast cards and c100 batteries and doesn't need thousands of dollars in accessories to start shooting unlike a DSMC1-2 brain.

Upvote 0
Usual dopey comments by stills shooters who would never accept a stills camera that overheats under normal operating conditions but thinks it’s perfectly fine that video cameras do.
Of course other manufactures cameras don’t overheat under normal conditions but let’s not let reality burst our our feel good bubble.
You can’t make this stuff up. I have to find something better to do with my time.

PSA. It's not a video camera. and btw, sony's have been prone to overheat with 4k30 un-oversampled at 100mb/s - but let's not let reality burst our feel good bubble.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
sucks to have overheating.

But you know - Sony never informed anyone to this amount of detail before release that their cameras had overheating issues. Did Fuji? the X-T4 overheats as well. I didn't see pitchforks and mass protests about that.

Life did go on, people actually used them for video. People worked around it.

Canon has overheating issues - the world stops.

I get that some are complaining that canon users are saying .. I don't see a problem here when we said there's a problem with sony. But;

the R5 is somewhat of a unique beast that is attempting video. The 4K oversampled is basically shooting at 8K and downsampling to 4k internally. we've never had a camera even come close to attempt that. 6K downsampling yes,. Not to mention, there hasn't been a small mirrorless hit these bitrates before either.

In the end of you are really wanting a video camera - there's better tools. They are surprisingly, actually called, video cameras. They are heat coold, ergonomic hunks of metal made to do the job.

I get there's a small niche that needs a) full frame b) 4k60 full width c) unlimited recording. Perhaps not a stills camera hybrid is the camera for you. at least for now.

What I think the problem is that some thought they could get the equivalent of a $20,000 cinema camera for $4,000 and are now bitter that their dreams didn't come true.

Lost in all this is that canon should be applauded still for pushing the boundaries on what is possible in an ILC. 8 Freaking Kay - is still a thing in for this camera, something quite a few didn't even think possible back in late January. (including me when I first wrote about it).

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
You know... that's not the craziest idea I've ever heard of. I bet someone will try it.
like Canon may? ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Also: Canon has completely BLOWN IT with the doorstop market because the R5 is not heavy enough to hold larger doors against high winds. The Canon cripple hammer strikes again. Lots of people in the stills/video/doorstop hybrid market are going to abandon Canon over this and go straight to a manufacturer with heavier bodies. Canon is doomed!!!
Nuh nuh nuh.... the gripped body looks the business!! :D

Upvote 0
I don’t know why you’re rambling about “video production”
I bird, safari and scuba dive

On safari I might wait hours before I see what I’m interested in and then will shoot or video for quite sometime

eg I shot a cheetah kill. The video segments of the hunt, the eating and such were all 10 min or so segments. They were all back to back. I would not be able to just turn off my camera to cool it down.

Everyone does something different with their camera. This heating issue may or may not be an issue for folks. We will just have to see the actual reviews to get a sense of this

That's just not how video production works. You're not continuously recording long clips. Run the same clip too long in any finished product and you will quickly lose your audience. If you pay attention to professional productions even long interviews involve short clips with slight scene changes and intermixed content so the viewer doesn't fall asleep.

Heat build up could be a concern for...

A) A vlogger who literally hits record and does one long session. Note that this is amateur hour as the professional vloggers clearly edit together short clips that alter the scene/angle slightly even when they're just talking, again because the viewer gets BORED TO TEARS if you don't. Also: do these people need more than 1080p? No, no they do not. Even the YouTube 4k quality argument doesn't hold because it's a compression issue with YouTube so you can simply upscale 1080p to 4k to bypass the issue. I can think of at least one very popular/talented video production vlogger who has access to high end dedicated cinema cameras who produces his YT videos using Canon hybrid cameras at 1080p. And his videos never lack for quality. I was also under the impression that Tony and Chelsea had abandoned a m4/3 4k studio setup for a Canon FF 1080p studio setup because of DPAF.

B) A live event like a press conference. Probably being covered by someone with a dedicated video cam.

C) A live sporting event where even if you're shooting short clips, you're shooting them one on top of the other in rapid succession so heat builds up. Again, probably being covered by a dedicated video cam with B footage from cameras like the 1DX mark III and in the near future R5 and R6.

Everyone envisions themselves producing the next Indie film and gets sad because a camera has thermal limits. Yet an actual film production is the one place where the thermal limits are probably not going to matter because of the length of time between every take to check/alter sets, retouch makeup, mess with lighting, direct actors, etc.

Upvote 0
I am primarily a photographer
The disappointment is pretty obvious
Many of us thought canon had truly aced the competition by introducing a camera with insane specs and no crippling
canon even made clear that the video specs were not limited in anyway before the official release.
But there maybe a subtle catch
The thermal issues seem to be the rate limiting step

we will have to see the actual reviews to see how this plays out

how is that a disappointment? It sounds like video users are not being reasonable here.
should still shooters start complaining that we are not being given 30fps mechanical shutter speed instead of “pedestrian” 12fps and “only“ 20 FPS electronic shutter? You guys seems to Be offered up to , what, 120FPS in some Of the R5 video modes?

unfair.. what a disappointment.. Not! :)

Upvote 0
it’s the way the cameras were marketed
The video specs were the highlight and they seemed unreal...
We don’t really know how much of an issue this will be but the way that this camera was pitched is what’s causing the stir.

the R6 is even more appealing to me now given WHat we know now

I never knew that a full frame camera body was supposed to replace high-end video equipment. I see these bodies as perfect for supplementing and enhancing stories told with still photos. Whoever promised being able to make entire films with little full frame camera bodies? Or replacing something that costs 5x as much and more?

Upvote 0

korbar

Preordering Fool?
Jul 7, 2020
I don’t see anything about 24p in Canon’s table - does it mean there is no overheating at 24p (8k/4K)?
For sure 4K 24 doesn't. And this is really the primary setting a lot of video shooters will likely use for a brunt of their work. Me included.

I'm honestly surprised that I am surprised people are still talking about this. I'm a primary video shooter, and it really truly is a non-issue that the specialized codecs/settings have an upper limit for heat. Going to keep shaking my head all the way until my R5 arrives and I can go back to quietly enjoying making things. Hahaha

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Because people want a $10,000 camera for $3,899
So So So wrong.... they want a $12,000 or $17,000 camera for $3899.... cuz that is what the C300Mk3 and C500Mk2 cost ..... and neither have 45MP and neither have IBIS

:p:p:p:p

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
PSA. It's not a video camera. and btw, sony's have been prone to overheat with 4k30 un-oversampled at 100mb/s - but let's not let reality burst our feel good bubble.
Exactly. Sony cameras could often double as a cattle branding iron while compressing files to compact hot garbage codecs. These same people never complained

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I don’t know why you’re rambling about “video production”
I bird, safari and scuba dive

On safari I might wait hours before I see what I’m interested in and then will shoot or video for quite sometime

eg I shot a cheetah kill. The video segments of the hunt, the eating and such were all 10 min or so segments. They were all back to back. I would not be able to just turn off my camera to cool it down.

Everyone does something different with their camera. This heating issue may or may not be an issue for folks. We will just have to see the actual reviews to get a sense of this
So dont record in 8k or the 4kHQ oversampled. Record in normal 4k. You’ll be fine. Or get an external recorder.

Upvote 0