Industry News: Sony Alpha a7S III coming July 28, 2020

Mar 20, 2015
How many trolls were in the comments of the R6 post about how "20 megapixels isn't enough for literally anything" and are now going to be totally silent about Sony releasing a camera with 12 megapixels in the year 2020?

For my needs, 20MP is uncompetitive and 12MP is laughable.

Happy now?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

B77

Feb 16, 2020
People that actually shoot a lot are those that will have something constructive to share mainly through personal experiences or knowledge. It will be clear quite soon who those are. Not saying they are always right in their opinions... But those that clearly don't or never planned to buy anything become quite evident after a handful of posts. Those people can simply be ignored and that goes to both Sony/Fuji/Panny/etc. and Canon shooters. Canon shooters shouldn't by default get a pass here on a Canon-focused discussion group if they purposefully stir the pot for those that shoot the competition. Maybe I'm just too sensitive... :p:p

Exactly! I get it, it's Canon fan forum, but some people really can't master some critical judgement towards various brands.

What is the most ridiculous to me is why would anybody pre-order a camera they've never even seen a single picture from? You have 0 clue what the camera produces, all you've seen is the specs. I take it people that pre-ordered don't understand the connection between software and hardware and that you can have exactly the same hardware in 2 cameras with different softwares and get a wildly different result. All they see is a Canon logo and they blindly buy it and then complain about it like with EOS R.

It takes some critical thinking for constructive debate. And let's be honest, for a $4.000 camera, overheating should not be an issue. Panasonic has had cooling fans in its S1 variations since early 2019... this trend to go for lighter cameras, so it's easier for vloggers to hold it is ridiculous. Only solution for overheating issues is larger case with better cooling, so why would you sabotage a great camera's functionality for the sake of looks is beyond me...

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sony is acknowledged to have about the worst menus out there. Additionally, unlike Canon, every Sony camera line gas a completely different menu system. It’s as though they have different UI teams for every camera line, and even every camera, and they never get together.

I want menus like Hasselblad and PhaseOne offer on their cameras.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
And let's be honest, for a $4.000 camera, overheating should not be an issue.
You saying so doesn't make it a given. And for many, (who knows - most?) the heat won't be an issue anyway.
Panasonic has had cooling fans in its S1 variations since early 2019...
Clearly Canon decided to go a different way - and I suspect it knows its target audience better than you or I.

There are clear disadvantages to adding cooling fans - they've been articulated here eloquently enough - so the very worst thing that can be said about the R5 is that it's probably not for everyone.

Now lets see how many cameras Canon sells compared to Panasonic - that's the only meaningful metric when it comes to deciding which company got it right.

Oh - and how are the Pannys as stills cameras, incidentally? I don't see many about.

What about their lens selection?
so why would you sabotage a great camera's functionality for the sake of looks is beyond me...
They've done no such thing. They've simply made a judgement about how the camera will best satisfy its target market.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Gosh the Sony hating fanboys on here. Just as bad as the Canon hating fanboys on SAR. Can’t you lot just be happy that we consumers are about to get a bunch of new cameras without the childish antics.
Where's the "Sony hating"? You're reading tone into the posts here that simply isn't there.

Says more about you, I reckon.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Exactly! I get it, it's Canon fan forum, but some people really can't master some critical judgement towards various brands.

What is the most ridiculous to me is why would anybody pre-order a camera they've never even seen a single picture from? You have 0 clue what the camera produces, all you've seen is the specs. I take it people that pre-ordered don't understand the connection between software and hardware and that you can have exactly the same hardware in 2 cameras with different softwares and get a wildly different result. All they see is a Canon logo and they blindly buy it and then complain about it like with EOS R.

It takes some critical thinking for constructive debate. And let's be honest, for a $4.000 camera, overheating should not be an issue. Panasonic has had cooling fans in its S1 variations since early 2019... this trend to go for lighter cameras, so it's easier for vloggers to hold it is ridiculous. Only solution for overheating issues is larger case with better cooling, so why would you sabotage a great camera's functionality for the sake of looks is beyond me...

Lots of ridiculous assertions here. Any Canon owner has a pretty good idea what to expect. So, far more than a "0 clue," as people are familiar with Canon ergonomics, color science, handling, screen menus, and reliability among other things. I think people that pre-ordered understand that these two cameras have many similarities in hardware and software - more then the usual for the 5 and 6 series cameras. Because of that, they are not going to get wildly different results. I see that you are new here, so I will forgive you in your last sentence of the paragraph..."All they see is a Canon logo and they blindly buy it and then complain about it like with EOS R." I almost laughed out loud when I read that. If you have spent any time on this forum, you would know that most people here are skeptical whenever a new Canon camera is announced. The expectation is far more negative than positive. So hardly anyone is blindly buying it because of the Canon logo. Quite the contrary - and your are completely wrong about the reaction to the R. It was absolutely destroyed in the forum leading up to its release. And then when people actually bought it, they found it to be far better than they thought.

Nor do you understand Canon's design philosophy regarding the R5 (have you seen any of the material on it?) Let's be honest, almost all FF DSLRs have had heating issues with video. The price is irrelevant to that fact. Panasonic is the exception and the reason is twofold. First, their FF model is designed primarily as a video camera first (that is after all what Panasonic dies best). That is why it has cooling fans. And because it has cooling fans, it is about 33% larger and 38% heavier than the R5. (Not to mention , it is more expensive). Canon stated that the R5 is meant to be a stills camera first and meant to be in line with their 5 series FF cameras of the past. So, similar in size, weight and ergonomics - and perhaps most importantly, weather sealing and build quality. Why, because those things are most likely more important to the series 5 photographer. It is hardly "for the sake of looks" as you have surmised.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
As a former 5D3 shooter, one who switched to Sony with initial introduction of the A7R, I'm eager to test the new R5. Things I don't like with the current Sony's are:

1. The IBIS rattles when camera is powered off (hopefully the R5 parks & locks its IBIS [Nikon's Z does, best IBIS to date IMO]).
2. No flippy screen (the R5 fixes this)
3. The A7 has no dedicated "LCD OFF" button, and even after setting a custom button, still flashes ON when camera turns on initially, it's anoying as hell (not an issue with the flippy screen and my reason for wanting one)
4. Activation from OFF is still a little slow on the A7's

That's it really, great output (that's the bottom line right), good AF, easy to customize, so there's no need to dive into the menus.

One area Sony are ahead of the Canon, the A9 has an extra two steps on the electronic shutter, 1/16,000 & 1/32,000, great for wide-open shooting on those f/1.2 primes (if & when they arrive). This is my one disappointment with the R5 so far.

I borrowed my friend's sony a7r3 for 5 photoshoots so I feel pretty comfortable with it. I loved the resolution and clarity. But what ultimately made me not like the camera was the insane buffering. It's the worst buffering of any device I have ever used. You literally can't do anything while the buffer is writing down. You can't change settings, you can look at images, you can't do anything. I can't wait to get the R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

what's the experience like using that Panasonic in the rain? Oh, wait...

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
So hardly anyone is blindly buying it because of the Canon logo.
In fact, lets tear this down a little more.

Nobody but an absolute beginner would buy a camera purely on the basis of the logo it sports: and most beginners would be so influenced by the endless torrent of Canon-bashing ordure on the internet (even here, on a nominally pro-Canon website) that they'd "know" never to go within a million miles of one!

:rolleyes:

The stark, troll-busting reality of the matter is that people who buy Canon know what they're doing. They know not to expect perfection, but they have the emotional and intellectual intelligence to recognise bloody good when they see it; and either aren't affected by, or are able to deal effectively with, supposed Canon "failings".

Simply put, we know what works for us.

To suggest that we might persist in using gear which routinely fails to deliver out of blind, gullible brand loyalty, is beyond asinine.

Case in point - me.

I started as a Nikon shooter, back in D70 days (I really liked that camera); was horrified by how appalling the D200 I "upgraded" to was; and moved to a Canon 30D - around 2006.

So that's one brand change.

I've been with Canon pretty much ever since, but at the end of last year and into this, I gave Olympus a serious chance, due to a chronic shoulder problem that made waving a Canon pro body and 500mm f/4 around handheld, impossible.

Olympus on paper was a perfect next step. I bought an E-M1X, m.Zuiko 300mm Pro f/4, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8, and TCs - a theoretical match and then some for what my Canon kit did for me, in a much smaller, lighter package.

That's another brand change.

But it didn't work out: I'm good at dealing with noisy files, but Oly image quality really fell off a cliff in proper low light bird/wildlife shooting conditions, and it took far more work than I was willing to put into the files, to get them anywhere near to the standard of IQ I was after.

Much worse, the 300mm with TCs on flatly refused to lock focus in even marginally less than perfect light (a bird only slightly shaded by a branch, for example), light which my Canon gear would have no problem working perfectly in.

(Olympus UK's advice? "Take the converter off, then...")

I sold the Oly kit off (at a substantial loss) and came back to Canon.

Another brand change.

The notion we define ourselves by a camera logo is demonstrably arrant bloody nonsense. Canon gear just works. And I can say that against a background of not just trying but owning cameras and lenses from other firms.

Even though my Olympus adventure was ultimately disappointing, I still defend Oly from its trolls on 43rumors.com because there's a lot to like about Olympus equipment; because I understand (a fact lost to many, it would appear) that my experiences aren't everybody's experiences; and because I'm not so dazzled by the Canon logo that I'm blinded to the merits of other camera companies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I borrowed my friend's sony a7r3 for 5 photoshoots so I feel pretty comfortable with it. I loved the resolution and clarity. But what ultimately made me not like the camera was the insane buffering. It's the worst buffering of any device I have ever used. You literally can't do anything while the buffer is writing down. You can't change settings, you can look at images, you can't do anything. I can't wait to get the R5.

Sony kinda screwed the pooch here, look at the card slots, the second slot is the slow "Memory Stick" compatible thing, terrible idea as it slows the fast slot down when shooting to two cards. Having said that, you can work around it, I have on many occasion, its not a big issue unless you're a sports shooter, and if you are, you'd be shooting the A9ll anyways. I think the same thing happened with the original A9 too, that silly memory stick duo slot again............ I think Sony FINALLY killed that silly duo card slot, alleluia, lol.

Let's hope the R5's SD card slot doesn't screwup the write speed on the R5's CFExpress slot, or you'll be back to shooting one fast slot only, like the A7Rlll and old A9.

These cameras are ALL full of compromises, it's a case of finding a camera thats compromises least effect your shooting requirements.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
Lots of ridiculous assertions here. Any Canon owner has a pretty good idea what to expect. So, far more than a "0 clue," as people are familiar with Canon ergonomics, color science, handling, screen menus, and reliability among other things. I think people that pre-ordered understand that these two cameras have many similarities in hardware and software - more then the usual for the 5 and 6 series cameras. Because of that, they are not going to get wildly different results. I see that you are new here, so I will forgive you in your last sentence of the paragraph..."All they see is a Canon logo and they blindly buy it and then complain about it like with EOS R." I almost laughed out loud when I read that. If you have spent any time on this forum, you would know that most people here are skeptical whenever a new Canon camera is announced. The expectation is far more negative than positive. So hardly anyone is blindly buying it because of the Canon logo. Quite the contrary - and your are completely wrong about the reaction to the R. It was absolutely destroyed in the forum leading up to its release. And then when people actually bought it, they found it to be far better than they thought.

Nor do you understand Canon's design philosophy regarding the R5 (have you seen any of the material on it?) Let's be honest, almost all FF DSLRs have had heating issues with video. The price is irrelevant to that fact. Panasonic is the exception and the reason is twofold. First, their FF model is designed primarily as a video camera first (that is after all what Panasonic dies best). That is why it has cooling fans. And because it has cooling fans, it is about 33% larger and 38% heavier than the R5. (Not to mention , it is more expensive). Canon stated that the R5 is meant to be a stills camera first and meant to be in line with their 5 series FF cameras of the past. So, similar in size, weight and ergonomics - and perhaps most importantly, weather sealing and build quality. Why, because those things are most likely more important to the series 5 photographer. It is hardly "for the sake of looks" as you have surmised.
If the R5 is meant to be a stills camera first then why did Canon heavily promote the video specs and why did they include 8K (that no one really needs) that has meant very significant recording restrictions due to overheating/cooling off time, especially with 4K?

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Canon should really bring out a 12MP camera, as that could help against the bad low light performance of Canon sensors. For years I used the 1D Mark II with only 8.2 megapixels and even that resolution is enough for a poster of 60x40 centimetres, which you typically look at from more than one metre distance.

My current Canon camera has 18 megapixels and very bad dark noise even at ISO 100. You can hardly recover any shadows.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I will be interesting to see if Sony go the same way as Canon in only giving selected retailers and Canon explorers of light, pre-production cameras, leaving all the independent camera reviewers out in the cold.

I’m not a fan of this, I’d rather Tony & Chelsea, Jared Polin, Chris and Jordan from DP Review got their hands on these new models on launch and put them through there paces, but for whatever reason Canon aren’t letting it happen this time.
Jared Polin has already put up an unboxing video of the R5 and R6. Working on reviews right now. He's got the new inexpensive tele lenses too.

Upvote 0