There is another RF mount camera coming in 2020 [CR2]

Feb 13, 2018
R6C with a fan, magnesium body, 4K120FPS, no recording limit, CLOG3, backup video recording, waveforms, full size HDMI port, power over USB-C, Video recording over USB-C, no video recording limits, video/photo toggle switch, 1/400s flash sync speed, built in remote flash radio trigger, MSRP $2999.00. Ok, I'm done dreaming now.
using a ~180MP sensor, [email protected] video, clean 8K out with HDMI 2.1

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Better be the C100 III (or rather R100?).

Take the C100 body, shrink it down slightly (or leave as is honestly), RF mount, IBIS, touch LCD, full sensor DPAF II, dual UHS-II slots - change nothing else.

12mp S35 sensor with R5 video specs minus the 8k/raw. If you really wanted to show us love you could throw in an SDI port.

Then take my money.

And please:
  • Keep the integrated C100 flippy screen that can be closed. I can shoot an 8 hour wedding on 2 batteries because I can disable it easily. Meanwhile my C200 eats through batteries because there's no way to disable the screen (despite requesting this feature in firmware ad nauseam). The boot time of Cinema cams is much too long to turn them off in a spontaneous documentary environment.
  • Keep the ND filters manually geared. It's actually quicker to change on the go than the C200/C300/C500's electronically changed NDs
  • Keep audio/XLR inputs the same and in the handle. Would be great if my C100 I & II handles could work on this new body, and vice versa.

You are a more dedicated videographer than I...no way am I wasting my C200 on a wedding unless their videographer budget is in the 5 figure range. For me, the GH5 is perfect for weddings, and it has shot a 12hr wedding on two batteries (short clips, MF, turned off whenever possible). Anything better than a cell phone will make most clients happy these days.

While we are on the topic, an XC RF mount form factor would be interesting for gimbal work, my only problem with that is that to truly be useful it needs to be a hybrid like the R6 minus the overheating.

using a ~180MP sensor, [email protected] video, clean 8K out with HDMI 2.1

That's not a dream that's a nightmare...poor low light performance, way overkill resolution, horrible rolling shutter, video resolution too high to work with, and 8K coming out of an HDMI port with no recorder that can actually record it. IMO the 20MP R6 sensor is perfect.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
16k video recording- have to do better than Blackmagic! (and I'll raise you 4k!)

There were rumors about a 150 Megapixel sensor from Canon, and 16K resolution (15360 x 8640) is 132 Megapixel in 16:9 aspect ratio, and in 3:2 ratio it's 15360 x 10240 ~ 157.3 Megapixels. Yeah, Canon can do that, lol!

• Haha
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Leaving the video out won't save a dime.

- codec licensing fees
- lab and field testing
- software complexity
- heat dissipation design

Maybe just a few dollars per unit when amortised across a production run, but also the intangible benefit of signalling that stills photography is still important to Canon.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Maybe just a few dollars per unit when amortised across a production run, but also the intangible benefit of signalling that stills photography is still important to Canon.

Leaving OUT a feature doesn't help in any way. Adding features that are of benefit to photographers should signal that stills photography is still important to Canon.

You know, things like:

20 frames per second
Superb low-light performance
World class eye autofocus and animal tracking
improved EVF and bringing back the joystick that everyone missed from the EOS R.

ie exactly the things that Canon have already added on the R5. But no, photographers seem to be upset that their camera can also shoot video. YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE THE VIDEO BUTTON.

If you want to buy a camera specifically without video because you feel upset that we live in a world where cameras are now dual-purpose devices then check out Leica, I believe they have a product for you...

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
You are a more dedicated videographer than I...no way am I wasting my C200 on a wedding unless their videographer budget is in the 5 figure range. For me, the GH5 is perfect for weddings, and it has shot a 12hr wedding on two batteries (short clips, MF, turned off whenever possible). Anything better than a cell phone will make most clients happy these days.

While we are on the topic, an XC RF mount form factor would be interesting for gimbal work, my only problem with that is that to truly be useful it needs to be a hybrid like the R6 minus the overheating.

That's not a dream that's a nightmare...poor low light performance, way overkill resolution, horrible rolling shutter, video resolution too high to work with, and 8K coming out of an HDMI port with no recorder that can actually record it. IMO the 20MP R6 sensor is perfect.
FYI, pixels are not the enemy of low light behavior ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
You know, things like:

20 frames per second
Superb low-light performance
improved EVF and bringing back the joystick that everyone missed from the EOS R.
Indeedy doody.

I've very little interest in the R5's video capabilities (that might change - who knows? - And besides, it might be useful in the Winter when my hands are getting cold... ;) ) but the photographic features it offers are really calling to me in a big way.

I wasn't intending to get one, but I'm finding the temptation hard to resist, especially seeing the glowing reactions the Animal Eye AF is getting:

Upvote 0
Leaving OUT a feature doesn't help in any way. Adding features that are of benefit to photographers should signal that stills photography is still important to Canon.
I was a bit skeptical of how this would perform, but some of the videos coming out on it are frankly pretty eye-opening (pardon the pun), to me at least.

youtube.com/watch?v=krpI9-KYVcA&feature=emb_logo

Upvote 0
Half of this forum, just as they read the post title...

...and then immediately after seeing this is not about a next-gen 7D RF mount crop body:

- A

Ok, I apologise in advance for going off topic here. Nothing personal.

Is there no way to stop these damn GIF's? If you click on it like a normal one (which would stop looping) it just opens a website.

Annoying as Fu^%!

Speaking of annoying, for maybe the 3rd time ever I decided to go over to the sony rumours site to see what they are talking about.
Holy shit is that a deep dark void! The shit people write on there, you would think it was all just preteens.

Upvote 0