What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Hmmm. That’s promising and also scary at the same time.
I have an R5 sitting on my desk. Testing time. We’ll see what Canon’s move is. They have to make an announcement sooner rather than later.

I feel like Andy at EOSHD is off the rails. He was really hard on the A7SIII compared to the essentially glowing reviews of it as the perfect 4K camera by some pretty serious reviewers. He also neglected to mention in the stock discussion that the entire asian supply chain was disrupted Dec-April.

I would love to believe that there's a recall coming and that Canon has a quick fix for shipped bodies to enable 8K recording for hours and hours but I'm not holding my breath.

Upvote 0

Krispy

EOS R3/R5
Oct 21, 2019
I feel like Andy at EOSHD is off the rails. He was really hard on the A7SIII compared to the essentially glowing reviews of it as the perfect 4K camera by some pretty serious reviewers. He also neglected to mention in the stock discussion that the entire asian supply chain was disrupted Dec-April.

I would love to believe that there's a recall coming and that Canon has a quick fix for shipped bodies to enable 8K recording for hours and hours but I'm not holding my breath.
Yeah, I dont know what to expect and have never preordered a camera(always waited 4-6months after release) but I was so hyped for a pro mirrorless for the last year, so don’t know if they ever have done something like that. I do have a canon center 30-ish minutes near me through LA traffic so it wouldn’t be THAT big a deal. BH refund policy is a month if I’m THAT shaken though. We’ll see. Just gotta run testing
EBDCB57D-2111-4918-9725-9A76AD84AC1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I think so. I am cautiously optimistic that a reasonable fix can be implemented by Canon. In fact, there seem to mild signs that they are up to something..
Quote form EOSHD:

These guys have been calling for a recall for quite a while and I see some sensationalism there.

I don't think it's possible to do a quick fix for overheating (even with a 3-4 months delay). Any recall or fix will be minor and related to an unexpected malfunction, such as excessive overheating in some items, that is, overheating worse than in the Canon specs.

Say installing a larger heatsink means the IBIS module becomes heavier - this may affect IBIS and battery life. If Canon does something like that, it won't significantly improve on the overheating problem.

Personally I'd just like to get the camera faster, I shoot very little casual video and don't really care.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Read Johnnies comments on this, he said, they *Cinema5D* DO NOT do lab tests on pre-production cameras, as hardware AND firmware MAY not be final with this pre-production sample. I'd say that's more sane than putting lab equipment on it right now, and instantly writing it off.

Would you disagree with that approach?

Personally, I read Johnnie's analysis, and decided to wait and see what Canon do going forward.

On a side note, the Sony's went through exactly the same teething issues when they went 4K, that boiled down to a simple firmware *adjustment* (we think).

I'm still hopeful for the R5, it'd make for a better camera *for my needs* than the A7Slll.
I 100% disagree with that approach. Dan Watson struck a very sensible middle ground with a clock and a thermometer, hardly lab grad tech equipment. Further when Dan was called out on his results he answered them and retested taking some comments on board.

Saying, this doesn’t work for me is a legitimate conclusion for any user, owner, or tester, not giving specifics of your use, and cinema5D did not, means a prospective buyer can’t gauge their intended use against it. What is the point of the cinema5D not review, not test? How did it help and inform customer choice? if as a company you don’t want to ‘test’ pre production equipment then don’t come out with unspecific and non helpful conclusions about that non test.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
I hate this... I was so motivated to sell a lot of my EF gear to help fund switching to the RF mount. But if they give me so much more time to save up money I might lose my resolve!

Also, of course I'm curious to see if a recall actually happens and to learn what that actually means. When I first read the headlines (on some other site or in my feed or something), I immediately thought it was just some fearmongering and/or Canon's marketing reacting to the reactions online, but then I saw the source was canonrumors and not just some random clickbait article.

Would it be as simple as Canon upgrading all the firmware, knowing that a lot of people probably wouldn't update it if they had to do it themselves, and that would lead to more complaints and R5 bashing videos despite a fix/improvement in place? A customer service/marketing/software move? Or will there be an actual hardware change?

My new RF lenses will just have to sit there and wait a bit longer before they can get some use.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Can you answer me a question about the R5. When the camera is powered OFF, does the IBIS *park & lock* or does it rattle around like my Sony's? To my knowledge, only Nikon's Z parks and locks when powered OFF. Thanks!

I’m hearing there’s a rattle.

See what I did there?

Upvote 0
Wow looks hot!!
I'm jealous because I also preordered but didn't get the first batch and will have to wait till late October. I see the EF 24-70, same set I would have had. Congrats :)

Yeah, I dont know what to expect and have never preordered a camera(always waited 4-6months after release) but I was so hyped for a pro mirrorless for the last year, so don’t know if they ever have done something like that. I do have a canon center 30-ish minutes near me through LA traffic so it wouldn’t be THAT big a deal. BH refund policy is a month if I’m THAT shaken though. We’ll see. Just gotta run testing
View attachment 191693

Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
R5 is phenomenal. If you are a stills photographer, my guess is you will love it. I was most concerned about the EVF but I'm happy to say it is really good. I don't have any RF lenses (had planned to get some), but the focus seems more precise and quicker with EF lenses than on EOS R. Everything just feels more "snappy" e.g. AF, EVF, menus etc. The IBIS is as good as you have seen / read about. Feels good / natural in the hand. I also have EOS 1DX mkiii and I'm starting to question why I need that.... I thought I would miss the GPS, but connecting via BT to phone tags the images with GPS data and seems seamless. Even the iPhone app seems to be more rapid with the R5 connected to it.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I see and definitely agreed on the photography part.

.. I don't think the heat generated by IBIS system itself is a significant problem (motors etc are efficient). However with IBIS, the sensor needs to be floating and low weight (= not attached to any heatsink). If the sensor (as opposed to the more likely microprocessor) is overheating, we are out of luck.

Right, that is what I was thinking but you were able to explain it better.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have several EF lenses, no RF lenses though. The 24-70 is just a good lens all around

For video, that EOS to RF adapter, the one with the drop-in ND filter looks very cool, no issues with lens swaps/filter swaps-- same filter, and the big plus, its another dust barrier between sensor and dust. Sony just implemented the Canon *shutter close with lens change* trick on the A9ll, but no mention if its on the A7Slll.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Can you answer me a question about the R5. When the camera is powered OFF, does the IBIS *park & lock* or does it rattle around like my Sony's? To my knowledge, only Nikon's Z parks and locks when powered OFF. Thanks!
With the cameras off I can hear something move but I wouldn’t say it’s rattling. Imo it’s similar to the Z6 I had.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020

That guy seems like he has a giant ego well beyond his skills and is just ranting and bashing everything. A poster in his forum intelligently and respectfully disagreed with one of his points and he said "don't agitate me again or I'll ban you" totally out of line. He strikes me as an unstable nutjob. That was my first and last read on his site. Too many like him unfortunately with huge followings of people easily influenced into this brand religious nonsense and the current trend of customers are owed everything for low low prices.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Krispy

EOS R3/R5
Oct 21, 2019
For video, that EOS to RF adapter, the one with the drop-in ND filter looks very cool, no issues with lens swaps/filter swaps-- same filter, and the big plus, its another dust barrier between sensor and dust. Sony just implemented the Canon *shutter close with lens change* trick on the A9ll, but no mention if its on the A7Slll.
Yeah, the $400 one. I thought about getting it in October last year, but I kept seeing Vignetting and other artifacts in tests. I got the control ring adapter.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
With the cameras off I can hear something move but I wouldn’t say it’s rattling. Imo it’s similar to the Z6 I had.
I hear a very slight click, not a rattle, only if you move the camera hard in one direction - small movements nothing moves in there. The sensor must float for IBIS to work, and the suspension is not powered and locked when off, so don't think anyone can make these perfectly immobile when un-powered but I don't really know that for sure.

Upvote 0