This is probably the best camera review I’ve ever watched – Gerald Undone with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

quilatoo

EOS 5D iii
Jul 30, 2020
Why leave off something that can be used to great advantage within a certain realm. A brief 8k pan and zoom for 4k could be very impressive and useful. It gives a taste of the future. I would never leave something like this off but that's just my way of viewing life. The massive data associated with 8k tells me that no average Joe would ever be recording longer clips anyway, so why complain? I think most of the hate is based on envy.

Jack
That would be impressive if it’s something that people can actually take advantage of when the camera has been used for other things like stills shooting or standard video recording. There are plenty of indications to suggest you just can’t and have to wait for the camera to cool down while it’s turned off.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
Followed him for a while and is one of the few youtubers who are accurate and understand their stuff, but I have interest in video too. What many people here seem to be missing is he is a videographer, he never pretends he isn't. If you want him to make reviews tailored to YOUR use then you'd be better served renting and self assess, or at least watching someone who works primarily stills never mind same style of stills. If you're a studio tabletop product guy then expecting an outdoor sports photographer to cover ONLY what you want is a bit entitled is it not? This camera is marketed as videocentric hybrid and that is the exact reaso nwhy he reviews it because that is what most of HIS subs sre interested in.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Amen. If you don’t care about video, skip to 19:48 where he starts talking about photography. On second thought, it’s not that informative on the topic of photography. Just skip it.

Agree this is an excellent review, but he should have flipped the topics with still photography first followed by the 85-90% review of the video features and why you should buy/not buy the camera. That is from the perspective of a stills photographer.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Same here, the first half was all about video, so I couldn't care less about it.

The first half? HALF? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

He mentioned photography in passing at the 20 minute mark of a 23 minute diatribe about video.

Yuk. It’s hard for me to watch this guy to begin with, but I thought he was actually going to review the camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
That would be impressive if it’s something that people can actually take advantage of when the camera has been used for other things like stills shooting or standard video recording. There are plenty of indications to suggest you just can’t and have to wait for the camera to cool down while it’s turned off.
You mean I won't be able to do 10 seconds of 8K without losing my camera for photography for one hour - I find this hard to believe.

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
The first half? HALF? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

He mentioned photography in passing at the 20 minute mark of a 23 minute diatribe about video.

Yuk. It’s hard for me to watch this guy to begin with, but I thought he was actually going to review the camera.
I guess I was being generous :)
This is an excellent review for stills photographers, especially for wildlife and BIF crew:
Canon R5 - Initial Thoughts

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

quilatoo

EOS 5D iii
Jul 30, 2020
You mean I won't be able to do 10 seconds of 8K without losing my camera for photography for one hour - I find this hard to believe.

Jack
Other way round. If you’re shooting stills for an hour you’re probably not going to be able to get a lot of time out of the higher modes until it cools down a bit.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Also, couldn't Canon lean into 8K video as a big opportunity for stills shooters?

Wouldn't 8K stills frame grabs still be rather high res? Couldn't you use 8K for very hard to time stills work -- like timing the bat hitting the baseball, capturing lightning strikes, etc.?

I haven't seen all the collaterals. So if this is somethign they did push, please forward thx.

- A

Capturing lightning is typically done by adjusting ISO as low as possible and shutter speed as long as possible (without blowing out the foreground and sky), and then aperture to control how bright the lightning shows up. Its similar to 'flash painting', only you can't control the brightness of the flash or the timing of it. :). It actually works better than video, because if your shutter is open for 8 seconds you get all the lighting that occurs in that time, where as in a video it would be spread out over say 30 frames per second for 8 seconds or 240 frames. Just last month I was on a camping trip and got several hours of lighting shots going. It was quite fun and may be my new favorite thing to try in photography.

As far as i know - and I'm not even a novice at this so I may be wrong - but getting the kind of still image you're thinking of on the baseball bat from a video may be difficult. There are rolling shutter effects, as well as typical video shutter speeds aren't super great at freezing action from a frame grab perspective.

-Brian

Upvote 0
well... i skipped like 18 minutes till he actually started talking about photography, which is all this camera is about (even if people keep forgetting it).

www.nicolaszonvi.com

Canon forgot to, and that's why they put 8K into a stills camera - the most demanding type of video in Any still camera ever.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Everybody who plans to buy an R5 or R6 should watch this video. Then, don’t complain when the camera does what Gerald Undone clearly tells you it is going to do. :cool:

This was my exact thought's too.

I thought the video review was a bit drawn out on the video side and the stills just glanced over. But after thinking about it more... it gives all the details that would tip a person one way or another. Personally, this is the number one review I would recommend everyone that has video (at least somewhat) in mind to watch it so that they know what they are getting and don't complain about it later.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Is it that hard to understand that people on this forum were waiting for the 5DV and/or its mirrorless analog?

This camera is a 5D series camera. For anyone who is interested in 5D series cameras, if should have been no surprise that 5D is a series of primarily stills cameras.

Yes and no. Video is growing a lot faster than photography, with the latter shifting more and more to smartphones. You can become a successful instagram person with an iphone - you'll have a much harder time time trying to stream video. Also many paid photography assignments hane a video component nowadays.
Camera brands need to invest in video to stay relevant so Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Nikon, Canon and Leica (Leica !?!) are investing in it. Those doing well have a much better time, see Panasonic vs. Olympus.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Other way round. If you’re shooting stills for an hour you’re probably not going to be able to get a lot of time out of the higher modes until it cools down a bit.
Not even a very useful 10 second clip? How many stills do you shoot in one hour? Ten thousand? If I'm shooting wildlife I might have a couple hundred or maybe none and my guess is I'd still be able to do a 10 second clip in 8K - no?

Jack

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Me too a still photographer. Most uninteresting review I remember having watched. No sorry, I lie. I didn't watch it in full. 1/3rd way through I quickly skipped forward in steps looking for something interesting, but found nothing.
I'm sure it was an interesting review for videographers, but for most I don't think it had much value.
If it was labeled a review of video-functionalities I would have had no complains (and probably not watched it either).

And I'm not grumpy. I just think it is funny/weird to call it "best camera review I’ve ever watched" :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

Define "shooting stills for an hour...." Wildlife shooters may take 100 pictures in an hour or zero. A wedding photographer is going to shoot what - a couple of thousand?

Upvote 0

quilatoo

EOS 5D iii
Jul 30, 2020
Not even a very useful 10 second clip? How many stills do you shoot in one hour? Ten thousand? If I'm shooting wildlife I might have a couple hundred or maybe none and my guess is I'd still be able to do a 10 second clip in 8K - no?

Jack
Well the video everyone here seems to be angrily saying is a waste of time says this: "This problem persists beyond just internal recording. If you record externally to an Atamos you'll extend your time by 50% but it will still shut down due to overheating, even if you turn on every single power saving feature on the camera. And the same is even true if you're just taking pictures with the camera. If you like to mix some photo and video, make sure you do the video first because after you've shot photos for about an hour you'll likely be unable to shoot any of the oversampled or high-frame rate video because the camera builds up heat just from being on. [...]"

He doesn't mention how intensive that shooting is, no, but for it to cool down requires the camera to be turned off - he mentions this in the second Overheat portion of the video.

Define "shooting stills for an hour...."
I mean, if we're having to sit here and define how intensive our photography sessions are to determine what sits within the "certain realm" of being able to use the higher end features in even a casual manner, it suggests there's a problem with the implementation!

I'd rather the only thing I have to worry about with intensive photography was how much it might drain the battery, rather than "am I even going to be able to use 8K if I wanted to?".

Thankfully, no I probably won't want to - it's still rubbish though, and taking umbrage at people pointing that out doesn't ultimately change that.

Upvote 0
He should have opened the review with the statement that ”the following video will be of no interest to anyone who buys this camera for its primary purpose...”

I want my 23 minutes back.

The only reason I watched him at all was because of the headline ”best camera review ever....”

Wow.

wah wah waahhhhhhhh

Upvote 0