R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Canon 45.4% (+ 2.4)
Sony 20.2% (+ 0.9)
Nikon 18.6% (- 1.6)
Fujifilm Holdings 4.7% (- 0.4)
Panasonic 4.7% (0.0 )

Adding these numbers up, the top five have 93.6 percent of the market. The top five grew a total of 1.3 percent. Canon's growth was 0.4 percentage points greater than the losses by Nikon and Fujifilm combined, so it has to have got some numbers from people below the top five.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Canon can just print out money and whatever they want. What printer brand does Nikon use at their office?

I'd really like to know who Nikon uses. I worked for a food company here in the US. We got a new CEO and he came from a different food company (Pepsi Co.). Upon arrival, he had all of his former company's products removed from our buildings - No pepsi in the cafeteria, none of their brands of chips in the vending machines, etc. The corporate world can be a petty place.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Absolutely. 3 competitors leads to a lot of forced innovation. 2 competitors tends towards a much more stale suite of products. This is true across most industries, not just cameras.
Yes indeed. We want all three to be profitable so they can do R&D and not go bust.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Legacy. Public (90%+ camera income) will go with the brand they trust most. Especially in unpredictable times. Especially with electronics. *The bru ha-ha over the R5/R6 release will not make a difference with ordinary folks. Nobody keeps up with NICHE news unless they're into it...

I doubt if Canon is quite that optimistic.

Yes, the average buyer isn't paying any attention to the "bru ha-ha" but they don't have to. All they need to see is some internet buzz that Canon released a camera that overheats. They can come across that just Googling for information, which is how people decide what to buy today -- not by going into non-existent camera stores. Or they may not know any more than "my friend's cousin's uncle told him not to buy a Canon because they catch on fire."

As I've tried to explain before, it's not the reality that matters. It's the perception And, Canon does not want anything that damages their carefully cultivated image. People do buy based on the brand they trust the most, but it is very easy to lose that trust, especially in today's internet age.

We don't know what if any damage the R5's negative publicity has done to Canon. But, we shouldn't just write it off because we don't think it is significant.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
A camera store? Where are there any camera stores anymore? None in Pittsburgh, not really; we have to drive to Ohio. Internet has taken its toll.
Well, lucky for me there IS a camera store in Lexington, Kentucky. A few months ago I called and asked them to put me down on their list to buy the R5 and a RF 15-35 f2.8. I forgot about them as they didn't call back and I pre-ordered the first day at B&H and later pre-ordered (late) at CPW (CanonPriceWatch) and waited for 1st delivery, hopefully from an online store for no sales tax or even further savings (if CPW). When the 1st batch was sent out I wasn't sent any from B&H, and was way far away on the list at CPW. But who surprises me and calls me? - My local camera store - they say, "We just got our R5s in and if you want yours them come on in!" I did - only had to pay full MSRP and 6% state tax. But I GOT a R5 in my hands. I didn't get the RF 15-35. They told me they sold 1 R5 before me to a guy who's buying it just to sell to another guy who's going to pay him $6,000 OVER the MSRP price, and he wanted to buy BOTH of them (his and mine) as his friend would pay him the same for a 2nd one! But the store made sure I could accept mine before selling it to him. Nice store, there!

I then called CPW to get 4 RF lenses (RF 15-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 & 800 f11) and they hooked me up with a authorized North American Canon dealer to get them below MSRP (minimum price you can advertise to sell), but above MRP (minimum you can sell it at without advertising) - that saved me a lot of money (thanks, CPW!), enough to pay for the R5 tax several times over. Got them all in less than a week.

So now I'm a happy camper and new Canon owner for the 1st time, and what do I think when I put the R5 with one of the trinity RF L IS f2.8 zooms next to my "old" (2x crop) Olympus EM1_II with 12-100 f4 pro? I think, "Man, this is one big & heavy camera! - My old EM1_II feels like half the weight (sigh)". But I know the R5 will make it more than worthwhile! :cool: (and my brother will be the lucky one getting my EM1_II gear)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
There are patterns of little yellow circles on most countries' paper money (it even has a nickname, EUrion), and any current-model printer or scanner will shut down when they see those patterns.
OK, so much for my plan to photograph my wife in her Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
A camera store? Where are there any camera stores anymore? None in Pittsburgh, not really; we have to drive to Ohio. Internet has taken its toll.
Electronics Depts. B&H NYC, Adorama, Sammys, Vistek Canada, Precision Camera, Best Buy. Costco. Walmart. Target. University and Campus bookstores........

Last edited:
Upvote 0

20Dave

CR Pro
Jan 19, 2013
From a camera perspective, Canon may not be doomed, but I can see a potential slowdown in innovation because of something that nobody has commented on yet:
...the overall market contracted 22.4%
That is a huge drop. A 20+% drop in a market leads to a much bigger hit on profitability, with R&D budgets suffering as a result. And with Nikon and Sony actually losing market share in a market that bad, yikes!

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Legacy. Public (90%+ camera income) will go with the brand they trust most. Especially in unpredictable times. Especially with electronics. *The bru ha-ha over the R5/R6 release will not make a difference with ordinary folks. Nobody keeps up with NICHE news unless they're into it.
People go into a camera stores with a budget, and stick to it. While hanging around camera store, I've never heard people (90%) asking about Ibis, rolling shutter, DR, etc....
Canon got the camera esthetic SPOT ON. Their design is curved, flushed, robust. I think they've got most of the women customers.
You heard it guys. Your wives & girlfriends have been lying to you. Chicks dig a canon...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
OK, so much for my plan to photograph my wife in her Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini.

:ROFLMAO:

You're okay so long as the pattern is not exactly the same, and it's a pretty random-looking pattern.

Now what was that comedy movie where the East German Stasi played that record (with a hole drilled off center) as a form of torture?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I doubt if Canon is quite that optimistic.

Yes, the average buyer isn't paying any attention to the "bru ha-ha" but they don't have to. All they need to see is some internet buzz that Canon released a camera that overheats. They can come across that just Googling for information, which is how people decide what to buy today -- not by going into non-existent camera stores. Or they may not know any more than "my friend's cousin's uncle told him not to buy a Canon because they catch on fire."

As I've tried to explain before, it's not the reality that matters. It's the perception And, Canon does not want anything that damages their carefully cultivated image. People do buy based on the brand they trust the most, but it is very easy to lose that trust, especially in today's internet age.

We don't know what if any damage the R5's negative publicity has done to Canon. But, we shouldn't just write it off because we don't think it is significant.

Interesting perspective. I guess I'm just old and more out of touch than I thought.

If I'm looking for a camera, I come to sites like this and maybe POTN and read, read, and read some more.

Then I go to the library (in this case RB Digital) and read every photography magazine I can find with the subject that I'm researching.

Then I'll go to sites like Jan Wegener and Gordon Laing and see what they have to say. In my opinion they are two 'reviewers' that don't buy into the drama and just give their opinion and review.

Then I'll go to the seller's sites and read reviews and see what people are talking about. In many cases just one sentence or two of a review is enough to let me know if the person has a point or is just more ZOMG! Sometimes you can read ten words and you'll know the person has no idea what they're talking about and that their one-star rating is a result of them just not knowing what they're doing.

I do agree with you. People these days often get their 'news' from the wrong places and listen to a friend of a friend of a friend without doing any homework on their own. One trip to Reddit will quickly show you how bad it is. It's sad, but that's where we are.

• Love
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Well, lucky for me there IS a camera store in Lexington, Kentucky. A few months ago I called and asked them to put me down on their list to buy the R5 and a RF 15-35 f2.8. I forgot about them as they didn't call back and I pre-ordered the first day at B&H and later pre-ordered (late) at CPW (CanonPriceWatch) and waited for 1st delivery, hopefully from an online store for no sales tax or even further savings (if CPW). When the 1st batch was sent out I wasn't sent any from B&H, and was way far away on the list at CPW. But who surprises me and calls me? - My local camera store - they say, "We just got our R5s in and if you want yours them come on it!" I did - only had to pay full MSRP and 6% state tax. But I GOT a R5 in my hands. I didn't get the RF 15-35. They told me they sold 1 R5 before me to a guy who's buying it just to sell to another guy who's going to pay him $6,000 OVER the MSRP price, and he wanted to buy BOTH of them (his and mine) as his friend would pay him the same for a 2nd one! But the store made sure I could accept mine before selling it to him. Nice store, there!

I then called CPW to get 4 RF lenses (RF 15-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 & 800 f11) and they hooked me up with a authorized North American Canon dealer to get them below MSRP (minimum price you can advertise to sell), but above MRP (minimum you can sell it at without advertising) - that saved me a lot of money (thanks, CPW!), enough to pay for the R5 tax several times over. Got them all in less than a week.

So now I'm a happy camper and new Canon owner for the 1st time, and what do I think when I put the R5 with one of the trinity RF L IS f2.8 zooms next to my "old" Olympus EM1_II with 24-100 f4 pro? I think, "Man, this is one big & heavy camera! - My old EM1_II feels like half the weight (sigh)". But I know the R5 will make it more than worthwhile! :cool: (and my brother will be the lucky one getting my EM1_II gear)

Congratulations. Enjoy it like we know you will!

I chuckle when people talk about the weight of their camera with one of the "small" lenses on. I, like many wildlife shooters, am so used to hoofing through the woods carrying a 100-400L II and a 1.4X (or something bigger and heavier still) mile after mile that I don't even notice it anymore. When I throw on a "small" lens like my 100L f/2.8 or 16-35L f/4 it feels like I forgot to put the lens on.

I swear my right arm is three inches longer than my left.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'd really like to know who Nikon uses. I worked for a food company here in the US. We got a new CEO and he came from a different food company (Pepsi Co.). Upon arrival, he had all of his former company's products removed from our buildings - No pepsi in the cafeteria, none of their brands of chips in the vending machines, etc. The corporate world can be a petty place.
Epson, not hard to deduce.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Interesting perspective. I guess I'm just old and more out of touch than I thought.

If I'm looking for a camera, I come to sites like this and maybe POTN and read, read, and read some more...

Yeah, I probably should have elaborated a bit. I'm not talking about informed consumers or even potential R5 buyers. I was thinking more about the people who decide they want a camera and only have one question: "What's a good camera to buy?" We think the negative buzz around the R5 only affects the R5, but it can affect any potential sale. Somebody who thinks $600 is a lot of money to spend on a camera can be impacted by the negativity even if they would never in a million years buy an R5. And, of course, there are a lot more of those $600 camera buyers than there are those of us who would pay $3,800 (Or in my case are foolish enough to pay $6,400 for a 1Dx).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0