Canon confirms addition of Canon Log 3, Cinema RAW Light, lower bit rates and more for the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Something else I'd like to see would be the availability to use the "Zebra" patterns in the viewfinder when shooting stills - As of now it's only an option for video.
It would be extremely useful to have an indication of overexposure in the viewfinder while shooting as opposed to only the flashing Black/White you see while reviewing after the fact. Optimally I'd love to have a choice of Zebra or the Classic Black/White overexposure indcator in finder for stills
Canon has a feedback form on product improvements where you can list software and hardware suggestions. You really should do that. Let me know if you need a link.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
based on his 'standards', i'm afraid that wouldn't be obvious enough. He apparently requires huge indicators and warning statements to every sarcastic post.

Some people are just literal minded. One dear lady I know on another forum can be relied on to miss my point if it's not direct. (And to make things worse, Brits often complain Americans don't do irony very well--I have no idea if that was in play here. But i agree with the complaint, I've had too many Americans miss my irony--even though I'm an American too.)

And as he pointed out (and so did I even though I did catch the sarcasm), there are people who really think the way you were pretending to think. That tends to make sarcasm less obvious, and if the sarcasm is missed, then the natural thought is, "oh another one of those assholes."

I do think you buried the sarcasm marker a little bit too deep, maybe only three or four blank lines would have worked better.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Wheels...slowly...turning. Some creaking...

Ah!

Is that because we're dealing with area, not focal length? In other words, multiply both sensor length and width (in pixels) by 1.6, respectively, before multiplying those products to determine equivalent resolution (area in pixels)?

It's absolutely an area thing. Just think, each pixel is so many millionths of a millimeter wide by so many millionths of a millimeter tall, and it's the area of the pixel that matters when you're talking reach. And of course they're in a grid that X number of pixels wide by Y number of pixels tall.

That makes sense. I think.

Well, shoot.

While it's not what I was imagining, I agree: it at least demonstrates* that the R5 is still clearly better for me! :p

Thanks for the correction, Steve!

*And supports the idea that I should be saving up for a something like an RF 100-500. :cool:

It's absolutely better for you. In fact, you can even set the camera to be in crop mode and only use the central part of the sensor. Ba-da-bing!! You have an APS-C 17 MP camera! I think the reason most 7D shooters don't want to do that is just simply the cost. Of course it can double as a full frame for those times when you really do want a full frame.

As for your lens idea, it's a good one. I shoot EF-M a lot and I bought an EF 100-400 II L fairly recently. The fact that I can use that on every camera I have and it's new means I won't be getting the RF 100-500 L but I'm getting the impression that's going to be a real winner.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
It does in a way, but not that much. There is no impact on sharpness, but the higher compression means some information is being averaged out over areas.
Take the latest A73s which shoots 4k120 in 280mbits/s and it looks great. On the R5 side shooting 4k120 it's around 1800 mbits/s which is an insane amount of data. In theory, the r5 image should be 5 times better, but it isn't.
Higher bitrates allow for more pushing (color grading) in the post before introducing artifacts. But these higher bitrates are nowhere near having the same impact in image quality or even on the latitude for color grading as have resolution and bit depth + chroma subsampling. Both cameras shoot similar 4k and in 10 bit with 422 subsampling. So quality of image is basically the same. The sony has even an edge because of the dynamic range. When Canon adds clog 3, both cameras will have basically the same dynamic range too. At that point, the only thing that will seperate those cameras will be color science. By the way, lower bitrates should extend overheating times if not entirely eliminate them.
Thank you sir for a wonderful reply

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
You say “fix” as though it’s a design error that can be corrected. It’s not. It was a deliberate decision to offer these modes, knowing that there would be consequences.

The ignorance out there is startling!

Most people, including most all of those big names on YouTube, don’t seem to know it, even very expensive hi rez video equipment is cooled between shooting scenes or clips. It’s surprising to go on set and see fans blowing on the cameras while they’re sitting there while everyone is on break.
Naaaa. What are you talking about?? I film so many days a year, been to many sets. NO FANS.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
And as he pointed out (and so did I even though I did catch the sarcasm), there are people who really think the way you were pretending to think. That tends to make sarcasm less obvious, and if the sarcasm is missed, then the natural thought is, "oh another one of those assholes."

Bingo. It has nothing to do with ‘generational issues....’

Upvote 0
Not excusing Canon marketing for their exuberance but they did say that they are "achieving the impossible" without any pesky asterisks against the 8k video in their marketing.
Hyperbole = standard speak for marketers.
https://www.canon-europe.com/press-...2020/03/canon-reveals-further-eos-r5-details/

Please see this video from Canon USA, which was specifically about the video features of the R5:

You only have to go 10 seconds in to see pesky asterisk #2, which states:

"*2 8K movie recording (RAW, DCI, UHD) has restriction on possible recording time due to camera internal temperature rise. Max possible recording time is approx. 20 min. (at room termperature)."

This video was released on July 9, 2020, which was the day the R5 officially launched. This was LONG before all the internet drama about overheating. Note that they specifically said "MAX" recording time in 8K was 20 minutes* at room temperature (emphasis mine).

There was no deception. There was no burying it in the manual. It was, like EVERY other feature in Canon's videos that summarize main features of a new release, asterisked with real-world conditions that support the claim of the highlighted feature. I wish all the YouTube "experts" that decry Canon's marketing would stop perpetuating the myth that Canon promised one thing, then delivered another.

The irony is that so many starry-eyed "influencers" missed the informational "stars" all throughout the presentation.

* And with Firmware 1.1.0, people are getting more than 20 minutes. So Canon not only delivered what was promised at launch, they managed to give even more within a few weeks.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

janmaly

EOS R5
Aug 11, 2020
Actually, the iPad Pro can playback 8k 422 as their arm processor has native support for H265. See Max's explanation and option. I will wait to upgrade my macbook pro to arm processor because of this. I will have it for a long time so I want to make sure that it can edit the footage easily when I want to in the future
Sure, I know that video. Thanks anyways! Just at least for now, H.264 option for log would be perfect. Editing big projects on iPad is not an option and creating proxy file on the road is also a bit of a headache.

As far as I know no SW update will be albe to fix the H.256 playback. ARM will save us, some time next year :D

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I think the 8K was a huge marketing error. ...
Not necessarily, but we will see. I will be tempted to try the cinema raw lite once delivered. Workflow already exists and the Canon software allows you to transcode to Prores or whatever you choose. I have been considering the 8K as a bell so far, but I will re-think my strategy when the day comes.

Upvote 0
Please see this video from Canon USA, which was specifically about the video features of the R5:

You only have to go 10 seconds in to see pesky asterisk #2, which states:

"*2 8K movie recording (RAW, DCI, UHD) has restriction on possible recording time due to camera internal temperature rise. Max possible recording time is approx. 20 min. (at room termperature)."

This video was released on July 9, 2020, which was the day the R5 officially launched. This was LONG before all the internet drama about overheating. Note that they specifically said "MAX" recording time in 8K was 20 minutes* at room temperature (emphasis mine).

There was no deception. There was no burying it in the manual. It was, like EVERY other feature in Canon's videos that summarize main features of a new release, asterisked with real-world conditions that support the claim of the highlighted feature. I wish all the YouTube "experts" that decry Canon's marketing would stop perpetuating the myth that Canon promised one thing, then delivered another.

The irony is that so many starry-eyed "influencers" missed the informational "stars" all throughout the presentation.

* And with Firmware 1.1.0, people are getting more than 20 minutes. So Canon not only delivered what was promised at launch, they managed to give even more within a few weeks.
You are completely correct but... The Canon press release from 13-March gave a different story for 5 months. I agree that Canon was upfront with the limitations in July before anyone could buy it so there was no deception.

You asked " Find me one material where they promised “UNLIMITED 8K recording”! 8K yes, unlimited? No. "
and I provided it for you. 5 months was a long time for Canon to add an asterisk when the "starry-eyed influences" worked up all their angst to find flaws in the camera upon release. "Achieve the impossible" was a poor phrase choice.

For me, I have a R5 and love it and work within its limitations. New firmware is just icing on the cake for me both for v1.1 and the upcoming one.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Some people are just literal minded. One dear lady I know on another forum can be relied on to miss my point if it's not direct. (And to make things worse, Brits often complain Americans don't do irony very well--I have no idea if that was in play here. But i agree with the complaint, I've had too many Americans miss my irony--even though I'm an American too.)

I do think you buried the sarcasm marker a little bit too deep, maybe only three or four blank lines would have worked better.

point taken, i'll use 4 blank lines next time :LOL:

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Can someone explain to me why Canon keeps the 29.59 minute limit on all their internal recordings on the R5? My understanding of the EU is they no longer impose that tax...

Well it's fairly difficult to explain, quite a conundrum really, but I guess the best way to put it would be "CCH".

Upvote 0
With this update, what I am the most curious about is wether or not the R5 will be able to compete with the A7SIII for video (and for me). I shoot 70% video, 30% stills.
Before this update, the advantages (for me) of the A7SIII were (in order of importance):

-Better Dynamic Range
-Less limitations
-Better low light

After the future update, we could assume that:

- the DR of the R5 will match the one of the A7SIII?
-The overheating issues (for me) will actually be a non issue. Already, with v1.1, I am happy with the current possibilities. I think the camera is now much more usable, even in 8K RAW.
-The low light will be better with the Sony, but I actually tested extensively the low light video on my R5 and I am quite blown away. I don't think I actually need that much more, and if I could choose between the extra low light of the Sony vs. the 45MP sensor for stills of the R5, the stills are a much better advantage (to me) than extra low light sensitivity.

That being said, it looks like the R5 could become the best camera available on the market both for Video and stills shooters (only if the DR equals the R5)...?
And if you add the soon to come RF cine line, it also is probably one of the best mount system to invest in for the long term future?

Am I right, am I wrong ? Am I off topic ? Can I finally stop having nightmare of me switching to Sony at night ?

Upvote 0
haha i'm afraid this is a matter of a generation gap. "/s" is often used in other scenarios to indicate sarcasm. apologies if it has led to confusion.
Don't worry. It was clear you used sarcasm in that message. In this heated debate over overheating, people lose their sense of humour, not to mention the sense of sarcasm.

Upvote 0