Canon confirms addition of Canon Log 3, Cinema RAW Light, lower bit rates and more for the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5

just bloody fix the overheating issue Canon! The R5 is utterly unusable as a camera at this moment in time! I want my 8K cinema raw with unlimited record times as PROMISED!!!!!

/s
You say “fix” as though it’s a design error that can be corrected. It’s not. It was a deliberate decision to offer these modes, knowing that there would be consequences.

The ignorance out there is startling!

Most people, including most all of those big names on YouTube, don’t seem to know it, even very expensive hi rez video equipment is cooled between shooting scenes or clips. It’s surprising to go on set and see fans blowing on the cameras while they’re sitting there while everyone is on break.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
You say “fix” as though it’s a design error that can be corrected. It’s not. It was a deliberate decision to offer these modes, knowing that there would be consequences.

The ignorance out there is startling!

Most people, including most all of those big names on YouTube, don’t seem to know it, even very expensive hi rez video equipment is cooled between shooting scenes or clips. It’s surprising to go on set and see fans blowing on the cameras while they’re sitting there while everyone is on break.

*whoosh* another fish took the bait ;-) ... not mine, but notice the /s at the bottom :)

bravo to who did it, hit too close to home to many.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The R5 is a great camera. That it can have such great photography and video capabilities in the one camera is amazing. That you can record 8K at all is amazing. Great too that Canon is doing firmware upgrades for it. At the same time the video capability of the camera must be the biggest overkill in a consumer product ever. I'd say most of the footage taken with it will never be processed and never seen in 8K. I think the video quality has gone along way through the path of diminishing returns. I think once HD was achieved thats about all was required. Better video doesn't require better image quality it needs better content, locations, scripts etc. The same thing videoed in HD and 8K is more or less the same thing to the viewer. Given the lack of 8K devices most of the output ends up at HD at best. There are not too many devices where its main selling point is practically irrelevant for most of its buyers. It's probably partially that its hard to emphasise improvements from the photography perspective. Improvements while good are marginal and perhaps not eyecatching.

Upvote 0
The R5 is a great camera. That it can have such great photography and video capabilities in the one camera is amazing. That you can record 8K at all is amazing. Great too that Canon is doing firmware upgrades for it. At the same time the video capability of the camera must be the biggest overkill in a consumer product ever. I'd say most of the footage taken with it will never be processed and never seen in 8K. I think the video quality has gone along way through the path of diminishing returns. I think once HD was achieved thats about all was required. Better video doesn't require better image quality it needs better content, locations, scripts etc. The same thing videoed in HD and 8K is more or less the same thing to the viewer. Given the lack of 8K devices most of the output ends up at HD at best. There are not too many devices where its main selling point is practically irrelevant for most of its buyers. It's probably partially that its hard to emphasise improvements from the photography perspective. Improvements while good are marginal and perhaps not eyecatching.
the problem is that your perspective does not come from the professional video point of view. 8K is not there to be used as an final 8K product but to give flexibility in editing,like reframing, or u can use one camera as basically 3 different view angles in an interview scenario which allows easier editing of the whatever the subject is speaking of. Better quality of master shots etc....
Also there are lot of use case scenarios in photography with screen grabs especially with 8K raw video.
The problem is that all that is used by smaller part of the R5 owners, but still there are some that will use it...I'm one of them. Will work fine as a B or a C camera at some of the larger projects I do...

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Perhaps 5Div users been waiting for a worthy mirrorless upgrade, and the R5 is it. The R6 will get some love from 90D user mirrorless upgrade crowd.
I have a 5D4 and a 90D - the R5 will be a superb upgrade for the 5D4, but the R6 is not in contention at all to replace the 90D. The AF would be a big improvement obviously, but (assuming the 90D was the correct choice when I bought it, which it was) why would I want to swap a 32.5 MP crop sensor for 20 MP full frame? For double the price?

The R6 will be a nice step up from the 6D/6D2, but my guess (based on human nature rather than any actual data) is that R6 sales won't be fuelled by the pent-up demand that we see for the R5. It will be a successful slow burner.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020

I agree with some of what you have said, but the main selling point for most of us on R5 is NOT the 8K or HQ video modes. I think the marketing was aggressive on video (why not try to get more customer base) and people are easily manipulated to emotion before thinking.

I'd actually like to see a survey if it were possible, but speculate the vast majority of actual R5 owners are not vloggers and other video gear heads. The R5 is a MILC 5D5 stills camera with very good basic 4K30 and some limited duty extremely high quality video; it cannot be said enough times what this camera is and is not. People have to look at the facts of the camera and not get tricked by big bullets and marketing, nor by the legions of moronic reviewers who make fallacious statements every other sentence. I cannot be the only one who skips commercials and doesn't read marketing or listen to youtube morons, but goes right to datasheets... Or if needed, rents equipment to learn about it? I guess that requires effort or an investment of time or small amounts of money, and its no effort or investment to just watch some talking head and parrot what they "found" on their ad revenue or sponsored "channels".

To say that the HQ video (here I mean anything above HD) is never needed is not true. There are plenty of legit uses for 4K60 and 120. 4K60 produces smoother footage, even presented at 1080. 4K120 is for slow motion. 8K and 4K can be cropped heavily to 1080, or downsampled for higher quality at the lower resolution. So there are many real uses where quality increase over HD is significant even if finally presented in HD, and many things that just need high frame rates. A lot of TVs and monitors support 4K and 4K is even noticeably better on some laptop displays despite all the distance charts you'll find stating it is impossible to tell the difference- you can indeed notice it. The best use of the high frame rate modes are motorsports, airshows, sports, animals, action etc. Unless one is paid to document entire events of that nature, the limits in R5 should be no big deal, and if someone is a pro or even a serious amateur instead of a whiner focusing on negatives, they should already have adequate gear or look to a dedicated video camera instead of complaining about the reality of the R5. Most amateurs and vloggers (who seem to be the loudest and least educated of everyone talking about the R5) don't need what they think they do, because frankly most of their content sucks, especially if their content is about making content, not actually making content. That is where I strongly agree with you- good content is planned, has good techniques, locations, scripts (when not spontaneous), etc. A good 1080 production will be way better than a bad 4K+ one.

Personally I love the R5 for stills and the basic 4K30 will suit my needs the vast majority of times I would need long video record times or a reliable 4K video mode while shooting long stills events that also heat the camera. In the rare event I need more, either I will rent, or work with the limited 4K60/120 since I shoot short somewhat planned clips. My professional Sony NXCAM (just sold) that I used for weather stringing to media outlets, and infrequent documentary and interview work still only had 4K30 and a small 1" sensor, yet I hardly considered it unusable all the sudden like all these childish fools who follow the latest youtube trends. It did become redundant and didn't have much going for it the R5 cannot do better, so it paid for a large chunk of my R5.

Interviews and most docile (non action) events in 4K60 or over sampled is in my opinion completely not needed and just looks more smoothly boring. Most of the people who think they need the best with long record times in a tiny MILC simply don't; but they have become attached emotionally to having to have the best or not be told no. These are the types who change brands with loud fanfare all the time or throw a tantrum about not getting it all in a tiny cheap body instead of just buying professional grade dedicated video tools that work for them and moving on. They are the same people on dozens and dozens of forums and youtube channels posting completely unsubstantiated cripple hammer gibberish and they think they are 100% right but skipped all the logic and thinking and proving and learning about electronics. Professional vs. childish behavior, and the mob mentality is well established against the R5 and Canon now. 4K60 and up is only recently possible in MILC full frame but 4k30 is somehow unusable trash and any limitation is unacceptable. It boggles the mind, and I cannot even blame some sloppy Canon marketing for this- I think people are going crazy, genuinely crazy, as irrationality is now mainstream.

I am rambling on yet again, but this is the depth of discussion that should be being had, instead of whining toddler speak accusing Canon of cripple hammer this or that, or saying thermal timers are fake with the most pathetic "proof" by amateur tinkerers who think themselves engineers. Sometimes, you do have to do the hard thinking and learning to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I think the 8K was a huge marketing error.

I think YouTube fools hyping unattainable wishlists as facts to mindless viewers who never took two minutes to educate themselves on what was actually attainable based on what had been done previously are more the problem than anything Canon “marketed...”

I still remember when the mere mention of 8K was referred to only in terms of a potential time lapse mode. How we went from that to endless childish ranting about not getting unlimited 8K and all these other things that were never promised Is stunning.

We got a wonderful camera that offers capabilities no other camera even comes close to but the idiot fringe (we all know you’re out there) still cries about the unattainable.

People are sticking rice in the battery door and calling overheating limits ‘crippleware’ without a shred of technical competence to back it up, yet somehow they draw an audience of lap dogs to join the chant. It’s everywhere.

There was some marketing all right, but it wasn’t Canon. People need to turn off YouTube and do their own homework.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
8bit 420 option for all Canon Logs would be really cool. As almost no computer is able to playback R5's 10bit 422. Unless you create proxy files :(.
Actually, the iPad Pro can playback 8k 422 as their arm processor has native support for H265. See Max's explanation and option. I will wait to upgrade my macbook pro to arm processor because of this. I will have it for a long time so I want to make sure that it can edit the footage easily when I want to in the future

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

calfoto

Long Time Lurker
CR Pro
Feb 27, 2013
they should bring back mRAW and sRAW

I totally agree - There are many assignments I shoot where the full R5 resolution is complete overkill for the intended end use. Don't get me wrong, the standard resolution is great and I love having it, but a downsizing option would be great...

Something else I'd like to see would be the availability to use the "Zebra" patterns in the viewfinder when shooting stills - As of now it's only an option for video.
It would be extremely useful to have an indication of overexposure in the viewfinder while shooting as opposed to only the flashing Black/White you see while reviewing after the fact. Optimally I'd love to have a choice of Zebra or the Classic Black/White overexposure indcator in finder for stills

Upvote 0
I keep hearing reports that R5 outsells R6 in nearly 5:1 ratio. Personally, I am convinced that 45Mp sensor advantage in R5 vs 20Mp in R6 is hard to overestimate. the price difference justification is well articulated here. i do not believe that there is a need for a further product differentiation. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the reports you've heard are true.

Of course, I'm only a sample of one, but in my move from APS-C to full-frame, my choice tipped to the R5, despite the price difference (and that difference representing the opportunity cost of getting a nice RF lens with the difference). Here's what did it for me:

1) Resolution -- 45MP means that I don't lose any "reach" going from APS-C to full frame. In fact, I get an increase in reach! A 32MP full-frame image, cropped down to the 20MP I'm used to would have been break-even, reach-wise. That extra 12MP beyond the theoretical break-even means I actually gain 40% more in reach going full frame (did I do my math right?)! Again, the "reach" is assuming I cropped down to the 20MP I'm used to. Had I chosen the R6, I would have lost the 1.6x crop factor's reach because they're both 20MP.*

2) Low-Light Performance -- At first, this was a tough one for me because the R6 was being reported as a bit cleaner than the R5, pixel for pixel. Most of the in-depth comparisons I've seen so far, though, show that when compressed down to 20MP, the R5 is just as clean, if not more. Compressing down to 20MP occasionally when I need a cleaner file is better than always having to shoot at 20MP, I think. I can't just scale up from 20MP to 45MP when the light is good!

3) Shoulder Display -- I've become so accustomed to using the shoulder display on my 70D, that I don't want to have to live without it.

4) It's Time -- I've been patient, living in the APS-C world with L lenses for many years, biding my time for when the right full-frame camera came along. I've never bought a car newer than 10 years. I've never been in debt (except mortgage). I rarely splurge on something for myself. I'm not a professional photographer. But. I think it's finally time, and the R5 is it. I would be happy as a clam if it lasts me the next 10+ years. I've been happy with the 70D for 7 years, but have finally gotten to the point that, while it's not holding me back, per se, there are shots I could get (or get more easily) with the R5 that I would likely miss with the 70D. That face and eye AF tracking....(whistles)...

5) Video -- Wait...what's video? :p

Anyway, that's a long-winded +1 to the idea that there might be more R5 buyers than R6 buyers moving up from APS-C (at least initially). Anyone else in a similar boat? Of course, R6 might eventually out-pace the R5 several years down the road, especially as street prices settle over time...

* I admit that I used to say that all I want is a full-frame version of my 70D. The 6DII was pretty much that, but...knowing there was a better sensor generation already in the wild...but the 6DII used an earlier one...felt like I'd be buying something that was old before I even opened it. Plus, those AF points seemed so crammed into the middle of the frame. The R6 blows the 6DII away, and but for the missing shoulder display, was all I wanted and a ton more. I would have done the happy dance all the way to checkout at Adorama...if it weren't for that R5 (as explained above).

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
1) Resolution -- 45MP means that I don't lose any "reach" going from APS-C to full frame. In fact, I get an increase in reach! A 32MP full-frame image, cropped down to the 20MP I'm used to would have been break-even, reach-wise. That extra 12MP beyond the theoretical break-even means I actually gain 40% more in reach going full frame (did I do my math right?)! Again, the "reach" is assuming I cropped down to the 20MP I'm used to. Had I chosen the R6, I would have lost the 1.6x crop factor's reach because they're both 20MP.*

Uh, no. 1.6 crop factor must be multiplied by itself when comparing pixel counts, a full frame sensor with the same pixel density must have 2.56 times as many pixels as an APS-C. Thus 20MP APS-C is equivalent to 51.2 MP on a full frame. You're still going to lose a bit of reach even with the R5, which (when cropped to APS-C size) will give you about 17.6 MP.

But that just makes the R6 even more of a stinker from your point of view, its 20 MP, cropped down to APS-C is 7.8125 MP. And that's pretty much why I didn't want to do that one. I don't expect to be cropping for reach, but geez, even my Rebel and M50 have 24 MP.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Clog 3 and FHD 120p, that fits many wishlists well.
I guess my personal wishlist will be unfulfilled, I bought my R5 in China, and cannot change image.canon to US/UK server and can only get my photos into Baidu not even the app. No option to choose and no way i can get a Baidu account even.

When you update the firmware the first time using the USA site download, maybe it will change the server. Hopefully it’s not hardware-based coding like BlueRay/DVD players. That would be a tricky way to ruin most all grey market sales.

Upvote 0
I hope new firmware for the R6 will give us a top display instead of the wheel :)

The analog dial on the R6 is one of the reasons I like it :geek: The R/R5 mode wheel is two steps to change the mode instead of one, and it interrupts my process by making me think about what I’m doing instead of just doing it intuitively.

Upvote 0