Canon confirms addition of Canon Log 3, Cinema RAW Light, lower bit rates and more for the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Lower bit rate option for 8K RAW video recording

What's the benefit? Less heat?
Has anyone complained about R5 8K RAW being too storage space consuming? Nope...not a single troll..
is the R5 overheating being an issue? Heck, yeah..
It appears that Canon is laser focused on what matters the most at this time. And strategically so...
That said, I am under impression that the update related message from Canon likely signified that the second update is not quite ready and at least a month or two away...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Lower bit-rate in video modes will improve recording limits. Lesser IQ, but more than adequate for run/gun wedding hybrid shooters.
If filming low-budget high quality short film or interviews, use external recorder for 4KHQ.
looking At RAW vs CRAW from a IQ / file size angle, it seems that introduction of Lower bit-rate in video modes would not affect IQ as much. However, may result in bandwidth utilisation reduction by half approximately, resulting in substantial recording limits improvements.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
just bloody fix the overheating issue Canon! The R5 is utterly unusable as a camera at this moment in time! I want my 8K cinema raw with unlimited record times as PROMISED!!!!!

/s

Good sarcasm is an obvious parody...unfortunately many of them act precisely this way, so I needed to see that /s. :D

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I had meant this in response to adding as many features to the R5
I keep hearing reports that R5 outsells R6 in nearly 5:1 ratio. Personally, I am convinced that 45Mp sensor advantage in R5 vs 20Mp in R6 is hard to overestimate. the price difference justification is well articulated here. i do not believe that there is a need for a further product differentiation. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I keep hearing reports that R5 outsells R6 in nearly 5:1 ration. Personally, I am convinced that 45Mp sensor advantage in R5 vs 20Mp in R6 is hard to overestimate. the price difference justification is well articulated here. i do not believe there is a need for a further product differentiation. :)

If so, then I would suspect the 20MP sensor was a marketing mistake...perhaps it just seemed like a step down to too many people. One would normally expect a lower tier to perform better than the higher tier in sales, no?

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
If so, then I would suspect the 20MP sensor was a marketing mistake...perhaps it just seemed like a step down to too many people. One would normally expect a lower tier to perform better than the higher tier in sales, no?
Perhaps 5Div users been waiting for a worthy mirrorless upgrade, and the R5 is it. The R6 will get some love from 90D user mirrorless upgrade crowd.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I trust that we will see R6 pricing being aggressively reduced and much faster than the same of R5. And that’s by design.
20Mp sensor is to ensure that pros and prosumers are less tempted with R6. :)

personally, I believe that a 30Mp R6 would challenge R5 sales numbers. 30Mp sensor in R or 5D4 has never been an issue for the product target audience. So many would choose to buy R6 over R5. That’s not Canons intention in present limiting market conditions.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Please indicate silly, sarcastic, and otherwise ridiculous comments with symbols or other indicators noting your un-seriousness for those of us who are otherwise left with no idea of what you could possibly believe. Thanks.

I think it's fairly clear what i believe in or what i was trying to express with that very prominent "/s" at the bottom? Or perhaps my signature would give a good indication? ;)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Just give us C-Log 3 in the R6 for color matching Cinema cams and the video users will be thrilled. I think at this point, Log Gammas in Cameras like this are too commonplace not to and one of the best things about the R6 for video is using it intended with bigger cams.... but would be nice to get a matching profile

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The R6 will be competing with hybrid A7iv. So I'll say it'll get Clog 3, lower bit rates on all video modes. Hoping 4K120p(gimp/crop)
I'd love to see 4K120 OUT on BOTH R5 and R6. The advantage to the R5 being it can do it internally, but only externally on the R6. We have the same CPU on the R6 with less than half the resolution, so while it doesn't have the buffer and internal cards to support those write speeds, it certainly has the juice to capture it.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
I'd love to see 4K120 OUT on BOTH R5 and R6. The advantage to the R5 being it can do it internally, but only externally on the R6. We have the same CPU on the R6 with less than half the resolution, so while it doesn't have the buffer and internal cards to support those write speeds, it certainly has the juice to capture it.
4K120p internally would be good for gimbal.

Upvote 0
I think the 8K was a huge marketing error. Canon should have gone with an insanely good 4K and frame rates at the release date. All the other features of the R5 sell itself. Meanwhile, the software geeks that they keep in the sound proof padded rooms perfect the 8K features, then put the code on ice. When the competition hints they are going 8K, Canon releases the 8K firmware update and spoils their party.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Just give us C-Log 3 in the R6 for color matching Cinema cams and the video users will be thrilled. I think at this point, Log Gammas in Cameras like this are too commonplace not to and one of the best things about the R6 for video is using it intended with bigger cams.... but would be nice to get a matching profile

This It’s so weird it seems the model is to have a cinema camera but to not even have the ability to match record times and log profiles with the hybrid cameras.

Upvote 0