*UPDATE* Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo

Viggo said:
neuroanatomist said:
Viggo said:
So the question is, when, in the name of everything, can I download?!

I can't say why I'm recommending this, but I'd strongly recommend trying the 1D X firmware update link again after 9 PM EDT today.

I won't ask, but thanks! ;D

Ok, so I was wrong, BTW. It went live at 8:58 PM EDT. :p

Oh, wait, I stated after 9 PM. Looks like I was right after all... ;D

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
Re: *UPDATE* Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo

+1 for 5D3 for these tweaks. I'm not terribly fussed about the f/8 option as I'm not a birder / sporter, and don't have any lenses that are f/4 and can be combined with a 2x (unless I get a 1.4x or 2x for my 70-300L).

The red point illumination would be mighty handy though, with the Aussie wedding season about to krank up.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
tron said:
Do you have the EF1.4X II ? I am interested how it compares in practice with version III.
They mention that these 2 are almost the same (maybe with some difference at the corners) and the big difference is between EF2X II and III.

Sorry, no - had it, but sold it. FWIW, I do have the 2xII, with the 2xIII due to arrive tomorrow morning. Looking at TDP's ISO 12233 crops, the differences with both 1.4x and 2x II vs. III seem pretty subtle, and IIRC Canon claimed no optical improvement, just AF - could be wrong on that (probably am, marketing wouldn't let that pass, I bet).

The Mark III versions of Canon's TC's have marked improvement in the corners and edges. Distortion was the primary improvement (its not eliminated, but definitely less), and corner reproduction and sharpness is visibly superior on both the 1.4x and 2x III's over the II's.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

jrista said:
The Mark III versions of Canon's TC's have marked improvement in the corners and edges. Distortion was the primary improvement (its not eliminated, but definitely less), and corner reproduction and sharpness is visibly superior on both the 1.4x and 2x III's over the II's.

Good to know, thanks. My 2xIII is down on the loading dock right now...I suppose I could wait for it to be brought up, but maybe I'll mosey on down there. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: *UPDATE* Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo

JH said:
Good news. But, the Lens EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM isn't supported with EF 2x?

I'm missing the lens here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware

I'm sure they just left it off the special page...just like they put on a nonexistent lens (the 70-300L is f/4-5.6, not f/4.5-5.6), that isn't really compatible physically even ignoring the typo).

Upvote 0
R

Richard Lane

JH said:
Good news. But, the Lens EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM isn't supported with EF 2x?

I'm missing the lens here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware

JH

I beleive they left off the 400mm f/2.8L IS becuse that lens could already focus on the 1DX with the 2X extender prior to the firmware update, because it's max. aperture is only f/5.6. :)

Rich

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Richard Lane said:
I beleive they left off the 400mm f/2.8L IS becuse that lens could already focus on the 1DX with the 2X extender prior to the firmware update, because it's max. aperture is only f/5.6. :)

Except...they do list 300/2.8L IS, 300/2.8L IS II, and 400/2.8L IS, as well as a whole bunch of other f/2.8 primes and zooms, all of which could AF at f/5.6 with cross-type points prior to the v1.1.1 firmware. They also list a bunch of f/2.8 and f/4 lenses on the 1.4x list, and on that list, the 400/2.8L IS II is included. They just don't list the 400/2.8L IS II on the 2x list.

Upvote 0
R

Richard Lane

neuroanatomist said:
Richard Lane said:

Except...they do list 300/2.8L IS, 300/2.8L IS II, and 400/2.8L IS, as well as a whole bunch of other f/2.8 primes and zooms, all of which could AF at f/5.6 with cross-type points prior to the v1.1.1 firmware. They also list a bunch of f/2.8 and f/4 lenses on the 1.4x list, and on that list, the 400/2.8L IS II is included. They just don't list the 400/2.8L IS II on the 2x list.

I was merely reassuring the posters concerns regarding support for the 400mm f/2.8 plus 2X combination, whether or not it was on the list.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.