Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Difference is, a monitor can and should be calibrated, the camera screen can’t.
If by calibrated, you strictly mean with a standardized device, yes. But, to within a very practical, useful, real-world usage degree of accuracy, Viggo, the EVF and the LCD of the R5/R6 can be calibrated by eye. Simply work with the brightness controls, comparing them to correct exposures, and perhaps tweaking the Picture Style settings (in-camera and with Canon's Picture Style Editor), and you can get VERY close to SPOT ON WYSIWYG.

Takes some patience and time, but, in my opinion, the investment is important and rewarding.

And I would say that the metering of the R5/R6 is indeed "proper." Include the Histogram with the EVF representation, and correct exposures are solidly consistent in all types of lighting scenarios. (The only purpose I see for an external meter, with my photography at this time, is for flash. My Paul C. Buff Cyber Commander's integrated flash meter is just as accurate in practical terms as my Kenko light/flash meter. Yes, there must be more precise meters for more money, but, in practical use, my exposures are, as stated, consistently correct. Why worry about more than this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I usually shoot in a semi-automatic mode. Mostly AV or sometimes manual with auto ISO. And pretty much like my 5D IV before the images on my R5 come out a bit too dark (at least for my taste) when I use one of the pre-installed picture profiles and trust the camera about what it thinks would be the correct exposure settings. I know I could simply use exposure compensation, but that would give me slower shutter speeds or higher ISO resulting in less sharp images or clipping of highlights. So instead I created a custom picture profile based on Canons Fine Detail where I tweaked the curve a bit to make the image a little brighter. The way my JPEG files are looking good OOC (for my taste at least) and the RAW files ofer a lot of playroom for editing.

The thing about the screen and the EVF is that no matter how I set the brightness of these I cannot judge the images just from that. In camera the images looked fine from the beginning, but when I transfered them to my phone or PC the appeared to dark. So without a reference point the screens are pretty useless for me in terms of WYSIWYG. That means that I would have to use the histogram to get it exactly right (maybe, but it’s somewhat distracting for me) or maybe a pure white border around the image for reference (which will never happen).
The other problem is that the colors on the EVF are way off. I know there is a setting to tweak this as well, but I can’t really get it right. The screen on the back always shows me better (and more accurate?) colors.

But anyway… The way I set up my R5 now I know what to expect and I can trust the results.
Can’t wait for the update though and hope it really improves the AF further, because two days ago I had an issue where the camera refused to focus on my daughter using the EF 24-70 f/2.8. It recognized her eye but it was not focussing even if I let go of the button and pressed it again. Had to focus on a different object and then got back to my daughter to make it work again. Strange…

Upvote 0
very happy to see them continue to improve the AI on focus and continue to provide updates for it.

wish they still had better ways to control the IBIS.. its not bad, just wish better esp on turning it off and just allowing lens IS on sometimes. I think IBIS has minor conflicts sometimes with 3rd party lens IS and panning (e.g sigma 150-600)
Then by a Canon Lens

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
AF Spot metering would be very useful for birds, just set the AF point on the bird then get proper exposure without needing to use exposure compensation. Sometimes the background such as a sky is too bright for the bird so the camera will expose for the background and you need to increase the exposure. Any feature that would save time even if it's only just a second could be the difference of getting the shot or not.
So you expose AF Spot on a raven and a swan with same parameters?
In doubt I prefer shooting with manual exposure, especially birds in flight

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
How? You mean like assigning a button to Facet tracking and pressing it, while in a single point AF mode?
Sorry for the late reply. I'm always in Face Tracking mode and never need to switch to single point (pr others). My AF ON is configured to single point AF in single shot mode. '*' is configured for eye detect in servo mode. I also setup my Initial servo AF Point for face tracking is set to single point. The result is that while in face tracking AF mode I have a single point af point that I can move around and when I want to use that focus point only I press the AF ON button. Else I use '*' for face/ eyes in servo mode.

Upvote 0