Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I reported a couple of weeks ago that we’d be getting new firmware for the Canon EOS R5 sometime around the Canon EOS R3 ship date of November 26, 2021. This release has now been confirmed along with new firmware for both the Canon EOS R6 and Canon EOS-1D X Mark III.
One of the new features for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 is “vehicle” AF mode. The EOS-1D X Mark III will not get this feature. The Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 will also receive updates to eye and face detection AF.
The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III will receive an update to head detection AF.
Another worthwhile new feature for the EOS R5 and EOS R6 is “SMOOTH...

Continue reading...

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
still no focus point based spot exposure measuring for R5 :(
I don't think we'll ever get that as a firmware update for the R5. Maybe in a few years Canon allows it to move downward to non-flagships, but I bet the exposure algorithms will have improved so much to render it unnecessary at that point.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Interesting...very interesting. This most certainly comes as a pleasant surprise to me and it will be two days before my final race of 2021 where I will hopefully have my preordered R3 in my hands. To know that all my cameras will be equally as capable tracking subject and race cars makes me extremely happy.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
still no focus point based spot exposure measuring for R5 :(
So I hear about this quite a lot and I can tell you that shooting real estate, my exposure meter response directly to where the AF point is. When I move it to a dark area, the meter reads underexposed. When I go to a bright area, the meter shows overexposure. So I always assumed it did this?

Upvote 0
also i do not see a fix for a but that when (at least) EF 70-200 L 2.8 IS II is attached to the camera, and when downloading images to PC via cable, then the IS in ON all the time and makes krrrrr noise, unless I slide the slider on the lens to OFF. During file transfer those things should go OFF automatically, or not even turn on when the cable or PC is detected.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So I hear about this quite a lot and I can tell you that shooting real estate, my exposure meter response directly to where the AF point is. When I move it to a dark area, the meter reads underexposed. When I go to a bright area, the meter shows overexposure. So I always assumed it did this?
Evaluative metering biases the exposure calculation to the selected AF point, but it’s not spot metering.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I don't know - adding another modes might be nice, but I still have gripes, with how messy all those modes are.

- The old school servo tracking is exactly that - well, old school. Working against the logic of other modes. I don't want my camera to refocus when I move it, I want it to lock on the subject and track it. So in single point mode, no servo for me.

- Face tracking mode - default setting is useless for most users - no initial point displayed? So you are basically waiting for a camera to choose something from the scene to jump onto? This is a joke. So for face tracking mode, the servo mode feels better, at least to both me and my wife.

So, from focus and recompose, we've got ourselves to focus, track and recompose.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0