*UPDATE* Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/10/canon-eos-1d-x-firmware-update-addresses-f8-red-af-points-in-ai-servo/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/10/canon-eos-1d-x-firmware-update-addresses-f8-red-af-points-in-ai-servo/">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>UPDATE

</strong>It appears as though Canon jumped the gun on this announcement, and have pulled the press release. However,  I do expect to see it some time in the 7 days. I would also hope to see a 5D Mark III firmware update as well. I’ll keep asking around.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., October 17, 2012</strong> – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new firmware update in response to user requests which further enhances the capabilities of Canon’s flagship EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera. The EOS-1D X will now be capable of AF point illumination during AI Servo AF and cross-type AF for maximum apertures as small as f/8. The new firmware update is available now at no charge from the Canon U.S.A. website and can be downloaded by end users or through Canon Factory Service Centers.</p>
<p><strong>AF Point Illumination During AI Servo AF

</strong>To support the needs of wedding, portrait, sports, wildlife, and theatrical performance photographers working in low light, the new firmware allows AF points in the EOS-1D X’s viewfinder to be illuminated in red when the shutter button is pressed halfway during AI Servo AF, for easy viewing of the selected point. This valuable feature will enhance the photographers’ ability to aim the camera accurately in low-light conditions, and when photographing dark subjects. To preserve exposure-metering accuracy, illumination is intermittent, not continuous. Three choices will be selectable from the menu system – Non-illuminated, Illuminated (Normal) and Illuminated (Brighter).</p>
<p><strong>Cross-Type AF Support at f/8

</strong>The EOS-1D X is equipped with an innovative 61-point High Density Reticular AF System featuring up to 41 cross-type AF points, depending on the lens in use. The cross-type AF points recognize a wide variety of subject matter, making them highly desirable for maximum autofocus performance. Until now, cross-type AF on the EOS-1D X has been limited to EF lenses and lens/extender combinations with a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or larger. The new firmware allows cross-type autofocusing with the center AF point even when the maximum aperture of a Canon EF lens/extender combination becomes as small as f/8. Ideal for wildlife photographers and others who often use EF super-telephoto lenses with extenders, this new feature greatly expands the range of EF lens/extender combinations that support autofocus when used with the EOS-1D X.</p>
<p>If AF point expansion is selected with an f/8 maximum aperture lens/extender combination, the four AF points surrounding the center point will act as AF Assist points. This option effectively expands the size of the AF detection area to enhance autofocus performance with subjects that are small in the frame and difficult to track, such as small animals and birds in flight. AF points above and below the center will be sensitive to vertical contrast, while points to the left and right will be sensitive to horizontal contrast.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware" target="_blank">http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware</a></strong></p>
<p><em>The link currently doesn’t work, but should shortly.</em></p>
<p><strong>Canon EOS-1D X at <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827036-REG/Canon_5253B002_EOS_1D_X_EOS_Digital.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">B&H</a> | <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Y3T1AI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005Y3T1AI&linkCode=as2&tag=canorumo-20" target="_blank">Amazon</a> | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/ICA1DX.html?kbid=64393" target="_blank">Adorama</a> | <a href="http://www.normancamera.com/index/page/product/product_id/24696/product_name/Canon+EOS-1D+X+Digital+SLR+Camera+%28Body+Only%29+" target="_blank">Norman Camera</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo

I'll add my vote that we need the same for the 5DIII. Though F8 AF has always been a point of differentiation on the pro bodies, I would at least like the red AF points.

I wonder how many folks jumped to Nikon over the F8 AF issue, and now wish they hadn't?

-Brian

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

sanj said:
Thank you Canon.
But makes me wonder why this was not provided initially.
Beter late than never...

+1.

I literally almost bought the Kenko 1.4x yesterday, to try out with the 100-400mm for those times when I can't bring the 600/4 II. Now that the Canon 1.4xIII will soon give me AF, I've just ordered the 2xIII (to replace my 2xII) for use with the 600/4 II.

Side note - the Kenko remains a viable option for those with a 70-300 L, which is physically incompatible with the Canon TCs.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:
Until now, cross-type AF on the EOS-1D X has been limited to EF lenses and lens/extender combinations with a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or larger. The new firmware allows cross-type autofocusing with the center AF point even when the maximum aperture of a Canon EF lens/extender combination becomes as small as f/8. Ideal for wildlife photographers and others who often use EF super-telephoto lenses with extenders, this new feature greatly expands the range of EF lens/extender combinations that support autofocus when used with the EOS-1D X.</p>

Hillarious - translates as: "Everyone keeps telling us that our camera is actually better than we realised, so we decided to reprogram the software to stop telling the AF system to not do what it is clearly capable of if you can con it into doing it".

Canon Rumors said:
If AF point expansion is selected with an f/8 maximum aperture lens/extender combination, the four AF points surrounding the center point will act as AF Assist points. This option effectively expands the size of the AF detection area to enhance autofocus performance with subjects that are small in the frame and difficult to track, such as small animals and birds in flight. AF points above and below the center will be sensitive to vertical contrast, while points to the left and right will be sensitive to horizontal contrast

That is a bit different. Hope it works well, or many users would be better off using the original firmware and electrical tape over the relevant TC contacts (or buying Kenko).

Upvote 0

lastcoyote

5D Mark III
Sep 19, 2012
Brighton, England

spinworkxroy said:
Yes, there's no reason why the 5D3 can't have the same..BUT i highly doubt Canon will do it for the 5D3..that way if you REALLY want it, you gotta buy a 1DX…smart marketing from Canon i must say..

possilby on the f/8 side of things you may be right. but not for the red AF points...as that's a work around to correct something that is clearly an issue for many photographers.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

+1 on 5D3 getting the red.

I don't think Canon will 'premiumize' this and withhold it from the 5D3. It's a clear miss on a pro body, and people will clearly not pay 2x the 5D3 price to get red AF points. I'm confident this will be rolled out to 5D3 as well.

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

acoll123 said:
Hopefully they will get this out for the 5DIII as well.
+1 for the 5DIII. Urgently needed. This has been a feature on every EOS body up to the 5DIII and 1DX, so I don't think they will make it a "premium" feature exclusive to the 1DX. I hope there is no technical problem with implementing it on the 5DIII.

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
+1 on 5D3 getting the red.

I don't think Canon will 'premiumize' this and withhold it from the 5D3. It's a clear miss on a pro body, and people will clearly not pay 2x the 5D3 price to get red AF points. I'm confident this will be rolled out to 5D3 as well.

My only fear is that they haven't released it at the same time because the difference in the extra processor for 1DX allows for recalculating exposures with the red AF point. Hoping someone with more technical knowledge can allay my fears.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:
<p><strong>Cross-Type AF Support at f/8

The new firmware allows cross-type autofocusing with the center AF point even when the maximum aperture of a Canon EF lens/extender combination becomes as small as f/8. Ideal for wildlife photographers and others who often use EF super-telephoto lenses with extenders, this new feature greatly expands the range of EF lens/extender combinations that support autofocus when used with the EOS...
Since the D600 has AF support at f/8 I hope that the 5D III and the 6D will also get such a Firmware Update.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.